clean trees of cham with a parasite

laurie

Retired Moderator
Does anyone know how to clean the trees from a cage where the cham has round worms? I use Novasann to wipe daily and clean cages but don't know how to clean a tree in winter in Montana. I can toss the plant but plants are extremely hard to get up here in the winter. I can't have them shipped by LLL or whoever as they would freeze before arrival. Also how long can a round worm live outside the host? Thanks.

Personally, I would toss them out no matter what.

But if I had to clean them, this is what I would try...
Remove them from the soil...toss out the pots and soil.
Put them in the shower, dump a bottle of bleach on them, including the roots...I know Laurie, but do it anyway or get David to do it.
Then turn on the shower for an hour or so till you can't smell the bleach and you are sure they are clean.
Then novasan them and shower them again for another hour.

Repot them and hope they live.

Harry

P.S. Who can sleep?

plant hygene

Personally, I would toss them out no matter what.

But if I had to clean them, this is what I would try...
Remove them from the soil...toss out the pots and soil.
Put them in the shower, dump a bottle of bleach on them, including the roots...I know Laurie, but do it anyway or get David to do it.
Then turn on the shower for an hour or so till you can't smell the bleach and you are sure they are clean.
Then novasan them and shower them again for another hour.

Repot them and hope they live.

Harry

P.S. Who can sleep?
i agree thats exactly what i would do, except that i would spray the bleach for better coverage and maybe add a few drops of liquid dish soap to increase the cling factor. in the past, i have done the dish soap routine on all of my plants and they come through fine, of course the addition of bleach greatly increases the chance that the plant may not make it, but it is worth a shot. even if you were to buy new plants , it is unlikely that the soil would be sterile. there are literally thousands of species of ascarid / nematode type parasites, and they are quite common in soil, so just buying a new plant does not guaranty that they wouldnt be with the new plants. any soil that has not been recently pasturized/sterilized could very easily (even likely) contain parasites, so i recomend doing at least the dish soap routine with all new plants. in fact, sooner or later, all soil (including eco-earth) will almost always end up with some sort of parasite. for this reason, i recomend (using this method https://www.chameleonforums.com/little-mites-plants-45612/index2.html) for a yearly repot of all plants. also idk if your vet discussed this with you, but many types of roundworms are easily transmissible to humans, some can even enter through the skin, so wearing rubber gloves is advised while handling any suspect material or animals, and a thorough post process bleach sanitization of your shower is strongly recomended. (i am constantly amazed and appalled at how many keepers submit photos of their animals crawling in their hair or on their face) you could also place the bare root plant in a closet with a lineal uv/c germicidal bulb (probably get one for about 25$) for a day or two, but i have more faith in the bleach routine. also i would replant with something more hygenic , like eco-earth instead of actual soil. sort of surprized you didnt call me on this one, i hope we are not talking about zeus, but knowing the level of care you give, i am sure whatever animal it is, will have the best possible chance for recovery. my # is still the same and you are always welcome to call. jmo / edit ps in the past i have gotten a # of emails from people concerned about residue issues & using bleach as a disinfectant. imo bleach is one of the safer all around disinfectants. basically, it is made by passing an electrical current through salt water and returns to a mostly saltwater state, shortly after being oxidized. for this reason, it is one of the few otc disinfectants usda approved for use in cleaning food contact surfaces. so residue isnt as big of an issue as it might be with many other disinfectants. jmo

Last edited:
as the worm turns

Hey Laurie, do you know what kind of round worm? There might not be exteme cleaning measures needed. Time alone might render any worm eggs unviable.

In my opinion, a good wipe down of each leaf and stem with a 10% soln. of bleach would be a good start. All traces of feces have to go, of course.

Taking cuttings and starting a new plant might be another option.

The soil would be a big concern as a reservoir for the parasite. A partial soil change would also seem to be in order. After that, I'm thinking screening off the surface and covering with big rocks should provide a barrier to prevent soil eating.

I can understand why you would want to save the plant. What is it anyway?

Back
Top Bottom