CIN Journals

mika

Anyone know where the complete journals are? All volumes?

Seems like CIN refers to it but does not have any links to open it for someone to be able to read it.

Is there a website somewhere besides the madagascar one?

Thanks!

Hey Mika,

I haven't looked into their availability for some time, and do not know if they are available online or as downloads. I can tell you that I own a print copy of every issue, going back to the very first. Now, if I can just learn to read .... doh !

Every issue? Wow..you must be one of the few because someone was selling a few of those on Ebay and there was a bidding war on it. Even Chris Anderson was bidding on it.

Where did you get your copies?

Jim, I had no idea you were a member of the CIN all the way till the end.

No wonder you have the complete publication! Ardith Abate knows you! :)

PS

And she has very good things to say about you.

Last edited:
Are they no longer avilable? I was looking to get them as well.

If so what replaced the CIN?

Sean

Well now !

I haven't talked to Ardi in years, and in fact, the last time I was on the phone with her, my youngest was opening a package with scissors, rather carelessly, dug the scissors into his wrist, and started bleeding profusely in front of me as I was talking to Ardi. I believe my last hasty words to her were "my son just accidently cut his wrist open and is bleeding everywhere. I have to go .." LOL now, as he was fine after about a dozen stitches. Thayt could have been 6 years ago.

Here is what I recall about the Journal. If one was a paying member of the CIN, you received the journal, which I believe was quarterly. I was not an original member by any means. However, Ardi also had back issues for sale then, and I bought all that I did not have. As she no doubt still owns all copyrights, while I can loan mine out, I would not feel good reproducing any of them, even in part.

I hope Ardi is well. She and I had a couple of philosophical differences ;), but she was always exceedingly giving with her knowledge and patient with all. Her publications were a true source of anecdotal input from all corners of the chameleon world, and her personal efforts could not possibly have been adequately rewarded.

Chameleon E-Zine, AdCham, and other internet sources took up some of the slack when Ardi stopped publishing. But I don't think there was any replacement.

Thank God issues of the Journal of the CIN did not fit on bicycle spokes, eh :D

Last edited:
We all miss the CIN and I have every issue. I think Chris Anderson does a great job with Chameleons Online and is getting better all the time.
There was just something wonderful about getting those issues in the mail.

my youngest was opening a package with scissors, rather carelessly, dug the scissors into his wrist, and started bleeding profusely in front of me as I was talking to Ardi. I believe my last hasty words to her were "my son just accidently cut his wrist open and is bleeding everywhere. I have to go .." LOL now, as he was fine after about a dozen stitches. Thayt could have been 6 years ago.

Ouch! Well.. 6 years ago and she still remembers you. You must've given her a good impression :D

If I remember correctly she said, if an issue came up or problems with chams you would help find ways to remedy or sort it out.

Sorry can't remember the exact words.

I do remember she said she believed you "were a member of CIN till the end"

Well, she's no longer getting any more chams. She firmly believes that chams should not be in captivity. Is this the philosophical differences you were speaking of? :)

She's only keeping 4 of them I think and 1 she said she had since it was a baby & is now 10 years old.

but she was always exceedingly giving with her knowledge and patient with all. Her publications were a true source of anecdotal input from all corners of the chameleon world, and her personal efforts could not possibly have been adequately rewarded.

I could not agree with you more. She also answered my questions patiently although I didn't ask too many since I didn't want to bug her.

Thank God issues of the Journal of the CIN did not fit on bicycle spokes, eh :D

LOL :D

We all miss the CIN and I have every issue. I think Chris Anderson does a great job with Chameleons Online and is getting better all the time.
There was just something wonderful about getting those issues in the mail.

Yes, Chris Anderson does a great job. That website has tons of information :)

I do remember she said she believed you "were a member of CIN till the end"

Well, she's no longer getting any more chams. She firmly believes that chams should not be in captivity. Is this the philosophical differences you were speaking of?

Yes, I was a member "till the end".

I also have enormous respect for Ardi's views where we were not in lockstep. It is hard to ignore that anyone who hopes to make money selling quantities of chameleons will be selling many animals destined for a premature death. Sure we can do all that is reasonably possible to educate our buyers, but my personal belief is that most will not die of old age. There are ethical upsides to sooth my conscience on it, but its all a matter of assigned values at that point. Ardi's views were based on strong values she assigned to easily understood ethical positions. I have only the best things to say regarding her. Take care.

Yes, I was a member "till the end".

I also have enormous respect for Ardi's views where we were not in lockstep. It is hard to ignore that anyone who hopes to make money selling quantities of chameleons will be selling many animals destined for a premature death. Sure we can do all that is reasonably possible to educate our buyers, but my personal belief is that most will not die of old age. There are ethical upsides to sooth my conscience on it, but its all a matter of assigned values at that point. Ardi's views were based on strong values she assigned to easily understood ethical positions. I have only the best things to say regarding her. Take care.

Thanks Jim. I believe you are right when you say most will not die of old age. I totally understand your point of view & hers. Take Care too :)

I too remember....

I still have most of my old issues of CIN. I still look at them. When I got a couple of Deremensis, I had the old CIN copy on them. For fun, for those who have them, look back at the for sale section in the back! Look at the Chameleons that were for sale back then, and at the price. WOW. I have wondered a lot what happen to Ardi. She was always available to help you over the phone. I ended up calling her twice back in those days. I moved and got out of Chameleons. When I got back into them, CIN was gone.
I remember when the Parson's Chameleon she was taking care of died, how she wrote how distraught she became. You could really feel her love for the Chameleons. Her temp readings of the soil in Madagascar I think were the first I had ever seen by anybody to try and figure out incubation stratagy for Panthers and Parsons. I miss your work Ardi.
If all the issues could be republished, they would be on my list to buy, as I only kept a few of them, those that I thought were of Chameleons I would one day get back into.

I remember when the Parson's Chameleon she was taking care of died, how she wrote how distraught she became. You could really feel her love for the Chameleons.

Yes she does love them. She loves them too much to keep them in a captive environment.

Back
Top Bottom