Cicadas!!!

you lucky dog :p post some pic can you- I just can not imagine what that looks like - I know you can feed them- but I am not sure how many they should have- maybe someone who has fed them can be of more help - please post pics !! :D

Cicadas can be pretty big, and their exoskeleton is super hard. I caught a couple for my insect collection. Just compare the size of the cicada to the distance between your cham's eyes before trying to feed it, dont want to hurt your cham. They are really loud too :p

That is what brought me to this thread, just this morning I looked outside and they were everywhere, good thing this wont happen again for 17 years

I'm guessing ours will arrive any day now :eek: Bit nervous but glad to hear they are fully edible! Hope all my guys are up to the challenge.

Cicadas have come to my town and I was just wondering if I could feed my Cham some, or a lot of cicadas because there are !!BILLIONS!!

Not only have they come to town, they have come to my HOUSE!!! They are all over it... I had some 32oz feeder cups, and went out yesterday and picked up 4-500 of them, but I only have 1 chameleon large enough to eat these things... I have way way too many. If I can't figure out something to do with them in next couple days i'll let them go. Wish there was a way to sell them, maybe make a couple bucks in this hobby/addiction rather than just spending every extra cent I have ( and some cents I don't have) on it...lol

Does anyone else have them yet? Heard a report from Bergen County, which is just over the Hudson from us, but no sign here yet...

If someone wants to send me some I will pay for them. That would be an awesome snack for my adults.

We haven't gotten any yet. But just 3-5 miles from my house, my friend has them by the hundreds. Weird...

1.5 million per acre. Billions total. I live in VA, and we got hit. You can't take one step without crunching 3-4. Bobo definately LOVES this arrangement.

here the best method to my knowledge that has worked for me....

go early in the morning/late at night and flashlight a bunch on tree trunks.
eventually you will find a non emerged one still in it pupa stage stuck to the tree, grab it and put it in a container. feed it as soon as possible.

this allows it to feed when its cleanest from environmental impurities, when its physically smallest, and when its softest and can't fly.

Sadly the 17-yr and 13-yr varieties don't live in Florida. We have several other species that show up each summer, but never even approaching the numbers you are seeing further north. So, I am only able to catch one occasionally.

here the best method to my knowledge that has worked for me....
go early in the morning/late at night and flashlight a bunch on tree trunks.
eventually you will find a non emerged one still in it pupa stage stuck to the tree, grab it and put it in a container. feed it as soon as possible.

this allows it to feed when its cleanest from environmental impurities, when its physically smallest, and when its softest and can't fly.

this sounds like great advice.
while they are in season, I think one could safely offer these every other feeding, or as half of every feeding, so long as there was variety in the remainder of the prey offered.

Back
Top Bottom