Chunks missing in pothos leaves ...

PrincessSpaz

Established Member
Princess Prissy Pants aka Spaz has recently started munching on her pothos leaves. She's had this particular plant in her house for about 3 months and has never bitten it before. When I noticed a couple torn leaves, I assumed she had been getting water off the leaf and some of the leaf had torn off as she was getting her water. Last night when I was turning her lights off, I noticed 3 leaves with literal bite marks taken out. Is it because I cut her back to 2 crickets every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and she's just hungry or are the leaves just annoying her? She's a spicy girl who bites whatever annoys her (usually it's just me she bites when I'm cleaning her house lol) I don't want to move the pothos unless I have to because it's her favorite place to sleep/hide but will if needed (it's the highest one in her house, the other plants are at different levels going all the way down to her lay bin ... she hasn't chewed on any of the other plants)

Attachments

• 20220512_072809.jpg
    20220512_072809.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220512_072818.jpg
    20220512_072818.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 62
It is very normal behavior for a veiled to eat their plants... IT is why we have to be so cautious about what plants we have in there.

Make sure your basking is sitting 78-80max. Is there a reason your doing 2 feeders three days a week vs 3 feeders three days a week?

It is very normal behavior for a veiled to eat their plants... IT is why we have to be so cautious about what plants we have in there.

Make sure your basking is sitting 78-80max. Is there a reason your doing 2 feeders three days a week vs 3 feeders three days a week?
Her basking temp is 72-74, midway down is 70 and lay bin area is also 70
There's a cham only vet who comes to my town once a month and I was able to get Spaz seen (poops and urates tested, x-ray to check for eggs since she's 12 months)
She pointed out that Spaz has a lot of fat stored in her cask (as you and a couple others had mentioned) and told me to cut her crickets down to 6, absolutely no waxworms and 1 hornworm a week or she may have a lot of difficulty with her first clutch (as of Tuesday, no eggs)
She said once Spaz trimmed down a little, we should go back to 3 crickets but no more waxworms

Her basking temp is 72-74, midway down is 70 and lay bin area is also 70
There's a cham only vet who comes to my town once a month and I was able to get Spaz seen (poops and urates tested, x-ray to check for eggs since she's 12 months)
She pointed out that Spaz has a lot of fat stored in her cask (as you and a couple others had mentioned) and told me to cut her crickets down to 6, absolutely no waxworms and 1 hornworm a week or she may have a lot of difficulty with her first clutch (as of Tuesday, no eggs)
She said once Spaz trimmed down a little, we should go back to 3 crickets but no more waxworms
Perfect just wanted to make sure. So you will want to increase her basking to 78. I am not sure how you are measuring your temps but the best way to do so is a wired probe at the branch. It should read about 77 there then where she rises up she will be in the right temps.

Perfect just wanted to make sure. So you will want to increase her basking to 78. I am not sure how you are measuring your temps but the best way to do so is a wired probe at the branch. It should read about 77 there then where she rises up she will be in the right temps.
She has a digital thermometer/hydrometer at the top and midway down (it's between 2 vines but not covered, tried zip tying it but she kept pulling it down by climbing on the wire)

Attachments

• 20220512_072836.jpg
    20220512_072836.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 49
She has a digital thermometer/hydrometer at the top and midway down (it's between 2 vines but not covered, tried zip tying it but she kept pulling it down by climbing on the wire)
Ok so your temps are pretty close then based on how you have the probe positioned and where she is sitting. I would say she is getting the 78 at basking based on your pic.

@Beman I forgot to mention when her thermometer reads 77 or higher, I catch her with her mouth open as if she's too hot. If the thermometer reads 75 or lower, she doesn't do that

@Beman I forgot to mention when her thermometer reads 77 or higher, I catch her with her mouth open as if she's too hot. If the thermometer reads 75 or lower, she doesn't do that
Thats because where the heat is for her is much hotter. We want to avoid them gaping. You will want to find a way to regulate the temp... herpstats are nice for this. Or get a dimable basking fixture so you can adjust to a better output or raise the fixture up a bit.

Thats because where the heat is for her is much hotter. We want to avoid them gaping. You will want to find a way to regulate the temp... herpstats are nice for this. Or get a dimable basking fixture so you can adjust to a better output or raise the fixture up a bit.
Propping her light up a bit higher did the trick and I have a camera on her house to check on her without going in her room ... also have a blackout curtain in front of her house to make sure she has 100% privacy if she visits midway down or lower. If we can't see her in her basking area, no one goes in her room until she's basking (figured that is the best way to avoid accidentally disturbing her if she's in her bin)
She seems to be happier now than she ever was in her old enclosure (ended up turning it into a hybrid plexiglass/wire to protect my carpet from all the water that flows through her house daily)

Propping her light up a bit higher did the trick and I have a camera on her house to check on her without going in her room ... also have a blackout curtain in front of her house to make sure she has 100% privacy if she visits midway down or lower. If we can't see her in her basking area, no one goes in her room until she's basking (figured that is the best way to avoid accidentally disturbing her if she's in her bin)
She seems to be happier now than she ever was in her old enclosure (ended up turning it into a hybrid plexiglass/wire to protect my carpet from all the water that flows through her house daily)
Just make sure there is airflow... If your intake screen is at the bottom and you are covering it then this can create a lack of airflow that they need.

Back
Top Bottom