Chubby 3-4 month old male Veiled

ckmazdaspeed3

Ok, so I tried to bump an old thread, but I didn't get a very complete answer... So I decided to follow the rules ;) and make this thread. I am probably just over concerned, but better safe than sorry.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male, 3-4 months. I have had it for 1.5 months.
Handling - Daily for about 5 minutes. He stays bright colored and doesn't puff up or show signs of aggression except occasionally while still in his cage.
Feeding - Crickets? large ones, about 7-14? Switched from evening to morning 5 days ago after doing some reading on digestion?A store bought gut load and water gel. It is from a reptile store with a very knowledgeable staff and great reputation.
Supplements - Zoo med repti calcium with d3 daily and rep-cal herptivite multivitamin every other week.
Watering - home made drip system 1-2 times daily? twice? I rarely see them drinking (but do occasionally), but fecal matter looks fine.
Fecal Description - Dark brown, solid and moist and regular. Urin is white. He has not been tested for parasites. Wasn't sure if this was necessary with captive born.
History - No history. He appears fine in every other way except he is chunky and although I could just be being paranoid, it seems like his balance is not quite as solid... He still has no problem navagating the branches in his cage with ease.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Screen cage. I can't think of the exact dimensions, but it is about 30" tall, 18" deep and 36" wide.
Lighting - Unfortunately I threw the package away, but it is new, a coil and a 5.0uvb or whatever... the store made sure we took one? 7:30-8:30 daily lighting schedule.
Temperature - Temperature is measured with an analog small round thermometer. It should be pretty accurate, as it lined up with our thermostat pretty well. Basking is right around 90*, and cage is about 75* in the cooler parts during the day and down to 65*-70* during the night.
Humidity - I have not checked the humidity levels, though Missouri is SUPER humid this time of year, plus the morning and evening misting which i do for about 2-3 minutes.
Plants - Umbrella plant and golden pothos
Placement - The cage is located in a bedroom that doesn't see much traffic? There is a vent about 5 feet away but facing away and covered most of the time anyway.? The bottom of the cage is three feet above the ground.
Location - Missouri... This time of year, misery!

Current Problem - Again, I could be overreacting, but he seems pretty fat. And I guess even if I am overreacting, you guys might be able to point out other flaws in my husbandry.

Thanks!

EDIT: Jeez my hand looks dirty! And sorry about all of the question marks, I was just filling in the form and didn't notice them.

Oh, here are a couple pic repeats:
b176ead5.jpg

69d43bb3.jpg

Ok, thanks, I guess I am just paranoid... He looks like a watermelon from above to me and feels heavy.

... I did just happen to stumble upon a supplement thread (and someone mentioned it to me earlier today), but I guess I need the non d3 calcium for daily... I'm surprised the store got that wrong.

Yeah you should use calcium without d3 with every feeding, calcium with d3 2X month, and a multivitamin 2X month.

If the petstore told you to give your chameleon d3 everyday then they are not every knowledgeable. You should be using a plain calcium to dust with at every feeding, the cal with d3 twice a month and also should be using a multivitamin twice a month. Most of us don't use the coil bulbs, but the tubes instead. The newer one you are using should be fine, but if your chameleon starts showing sensitvity to the light by closing yes, or excessive eye rubbing, irritation, etc. then I would attribute it to the coil bulb. How large are crickets? A 3-4 month old should be eating around 15-20 crickets a day, but not if they are too big. Also, why are you feeding in the evening versus the morning? If you feed early in the day, your chameleon will have a chance to bask and digest food. What do you mean you are dripping two or three times? The dripper should be running until the water runs out. Provide a constant source of hydration. Also you should be misting the cage for drinking purposes which should also aid in humidity. Not all chameleons drink from dripping water. Basking temp should be more in the low 80's for young cham. What are you using for basking bulb?

If the petstore told you to give your chameleon d3 everyday then they are not every knowledgeable. You should be using a plain calcium to dust with at every feeding, the cal with d3 twice a month and also should be using a multivitamin twice a month. Most of us don't use the coil bulbs, but the tubes instead. The newer one you are using should be fine, but if your chameleon starts showing sensitvity to the light by closing yes, or excessive eye rubbing, irritation, etc. then I would attribute it to the coil bulb. How large are crickets? A 3-4 month old should be eating around 15-20 crickets a day, but not if they are too big. Also, why are you feeding in the evening versus the morning? If you feed early in the day, your chameleon will have a chance to bask and digest food. What do you mean you are dripping two or three times? The dripper should be running until the water runs out. Provide a constant source of hydration. Also you should be misting the cage for drinking purposes which should also aid in humidity. Not all chameleons drink from dripping water. Basking temp should be more in the low 80's for young cham. What are you using for basking bulb?

Nice, solid and thorough admonishment, thanks!

Coil bulb: I have done some research about the safety on here, but thanks for telling me which signs to watch out for!

Basking bulb: Regular 60watt.

feeding: I did just switch to morning (I think I put that in, but maybe forgot) five days ago due to what you said.

Dripper: I mean that I fill it up in the morning and evening and let it go until empty. I spray every leaf down so he can drink from it.

Basking: I will lower the temps

I may be WAY off because I keep panthers but I don't see a tarsal spur? Are we positive that's a male? Sorry I just don't know much about veiled's

Thanks for the responses everyone! It's nice to hear that I should have nothing to worry about.

Regarding the d3, I am going to see if I can get non d3 calcium today locally, and if not I will order it tonight.

And next time I am at that shop I will find out why they told ms to use it daily. Every other bit of info they gave me was spot on and they actually keep two very healthy looking adult chams that aren't for sale (a veiled and panther), so I'm curious to see what's up.

I mean, there are two herp specific shops locally. One stinks and all the animals look absolutely miserable... They had 20+ baby veileds in a cage w nothing to climb on or hide behind... Just the screen and AstroTurf. All Te chams looked so sad :( but every animal at the other shop has the correct lighting (from what I know), looks very well fed and is active. Their baby veileds (7 or 8 in a very large cage) were active and fuller looking too (not as fat as my guy ;) ) and the shop is very clean which is a nice bonus.

But if anyone has anymore criticisms like Carol, please feel free to let me know. I personally learn best from blunt, upfront honesty!

Sean, he has them (if you are referring to the spurs on the hind legs), I guess it was just the angle of the photo. They are very pronounced.

Back
Top Bottom