Choosing between a Panther Chameleon or a Veiled Chameleon

Chamfan1

Lately I've been looking for a pet Chameleon. I'm searching a lot about the two Chameleons but can't seem to find the best one that would be the easiest to take care of. I'm generally looking for the one thats the lowest maintenance and does the nicest colours (but I mainly care more about which one is the easiest to care for).

So basically i'm looking for:
-the one thats the lowest maintenance
-the one that produces the most colors and nicest colours
-the friendliest
-the one that eats a bit of lettuce (not to sure which one, but I know that one of these chameleons can eat a bit of lettuce once in a while)

-the one thats the lowest maintenance - Both have nearly identical care requirements. Panthers tend to love water a little more so they might like slightly longer misting sessions daily and Veileds can tolerate warmer basking temperatures. But both will do great at a basking spot of 85F, with 3-4 misting sessions daily, for example.

-the one that produces the most colors and nicest colours - Depends what you consider the nicest colors. Most people will tell you that this would be a Panther, but some Veileds can show very vibrant blues and yellows. However, if you're more drawn to the reds and oranges, for example, you would probably like a Panther more.

-the friendliest - People say that Veileds tend to be meaner. But it really comes down to the individual and how you interact with them. I've met some very aggressive Veileds and Panthers, and then have had very friendly individuals of each.

-the one that eats a bit of lettuce - This a much more Veiled trait. They enjoy some greenery in their diet.

I always tell people to consider both carefully and then go with the one they would be happiest to live with for the next 4-8 years. Because their care is very similar so it comes down to preference and/or price, generally.

Thanks

Thanks that's very useful. I appreciate it a lot.

Thanks again

I live in a area that can be chilly in winter with the snow and the wind,
so should I buy one even though I might not have the ideal weather for him, that he has in his natural habitat?

As long as your keep him indoors with the proper setup, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that you keep him in a place that isn't drafty or cold. Many people from up north keep chameleons.

-the one thats the lowest maintenance - Both have nearly identical care requirements. Panthers tend to love water a little more so they might like slightly longer misting sessions daily and Veileds can tolerate warmer basking temperatures. But both will do great at a basking spot of 85F, with 3-4 misting sessions daily, for example.

-the one that produces the most colors and nicest colours - Depends what you consider the nicest colors. Most people will tell you that this would be a Panther, but some Veileds can show very vibrant blues and yellows. However, if you're more drawn to the reds and oranges, for example, you would probably like a Panther more.

-the friendliest - People say that Veileds tend to be meaner. But it really comes down to the individual and how you interact with them. I've met some very aggressive Veileds and Panthers, and then have had very friendly individuals of each.

-the one that eats a bit of lettuce - This a much more Veiled trait. They enjoy some greenery in their diet.

I always tell people to consider both carefully and then go with the one they would be happiest to live with for the next 4-8 years. Because their care is very similar so it comes down to preference and/or price, generally.

Very well said Olimpia!

In my opinion all chameleons are high maintenance. You might be interested in looking over my blog to see what all you need for a chameleon and a little about details of caring for them.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

You're welcome! Lots of members here are located up North and in Canada, so you're not alone up there. It might take a little bit of creativity to keep their environment where it needs to be but it's not impossible.

For example, you may need to cover 3 sides of the cage in something like a shower curtain to keep the heat and humidity more stable in a screen cage. Probably raise the wattage of your basking bulb, mist a little more, etc. But an adult chameleon tolerates nighttime temperatures down to 50F, so even if your house drops to 60-65F, they'll be ok without supplemental heat (don't waste the money on those red bulbs or anything). I'd keep a baby warmer, but if you get a chamelon now then by the time the worst of winter comes along they'll be old enough to handle cooler nights.

Back
Top Bottom