Chinese Water Dragon

Bizzle90

Hey guys,

So a friend of mine is in the process of building a large enclosure for his CWD. He chopped off large branches off a tree nearby his house. He was wondering if it is safe to use branches from a wild tree (honey locust).

-he plans to peel off bark, clean in bleach/water solution/dry out in sun, etc.

Any one have useful advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

So a friend of mine is in the process of building a large enclosure for his CWD. He chopped off large branches off a tree nearby his house. He was wondering if it is safe to use branches from a wild tree (honey locust).

-he plans to peel off bark, clean in bleach/water solution/dry out in sun, etc.

Any one have useful advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance!

i use branches from tree in the yard frequently. Some take a propane torch to them. Some bake them. Some wash them with soapy water. Its up to you.

i dont want to say this and then it back fire for you. i have a large oak tree in the back yard that drops branches all the time. I use these branches as they usually have branches going every which way. With these i never do a thing to them. Again i live in indiana and i dont know how the bugs are in your area but i have never been infested with anything. :)

Personally, I bake my outdoor branches but everybody has their own way. I usually cut down fresh and cut to size of my oven. I put them in and preheat to 350. When oven is preheated I set timer for 30 mins. It is easier for me to debark after baking. I do this outside to contain mess and then bake a final time same as before. Like I said many do it different. I just find it easier for smaller size branches to do it this way as compared to soaking and scrubbing and drying etc...

Idk about from that tree but.I'm sure its fine... but I cleaned mine in soapy water in a trash can rinsed well then baked them for about 20 mins on 350... never debarked but plan to, then sand them and repeat my process.

Back
Top Bottom