Check out these roaches

That's an issue with many of the blaberus genus. Discoids are almost always not actually discoids, but a hybrid mix of blaberus. I have a colony of pure discoids and the common stock(similar to how common hissers are hybrids usually) and they do have differences. The pure discoids seem to breed faster and are slightly smaller.

Deaths heads have a few different strains out there. Like Orin's, UCR, etc(tbh they all confuse me even haha). They have their differences, some are faster breeders, but not as pretty, some are larger, etc.

Blaberus fusca(dusky cave) might be one of the most underrated/unknown feeders there are. They are prolific and very similar to discoid. Main difference is the older nymphs and adults get larger, like between giant caves and deaths heads in size. So they are perfect for people with larger reptiles, but work just as well for smaller reptiles since the nymphs start off small.

Sorry I'm all caffeinated and on a roach rant!
So how would I determine if my discoids are pure or a hybrid?

That's an issue with many of the blaberus genus. Discoids are almost always not actually discoids, but a hybrid mix of blaberus. I have a colony of pure discoids and the common stock(similar to how common hissers are hybrids usually) and they do have differences. The pure discoids seem to breed faster and are slightly smaller.

Deaths heads have a few different strains out there. Like Orin's, UCR, etc(tbh they all confuse me even haha). They have their differences, some are faster breeders, but not as pretty, some are larger, etc.

Blaberus fusca(dusky cave) might be one of the most underrated/unknown feeders there are. They are prolific and very similar to discoid. Main difference is the older nymphs and adults get larger, like between giant caves and deaths heads in size. So they are perfect for people with larger reptiles, but work just as well for smaller reptiles since the nymphs start off small.

Sorry I'm all caffeinated and on a roach rant!
:hilarious: blaberus :hilarious: Deaths heads :LOL: These names got me laughing my *** off!

So how would I determine if my discoids are pure or a hybrid?

From what I know, you they are often hybrid unless you specifically caught them from the wild or bought pure stock from a reputable breeder. There's nothing wrong with the hybrids, it's not anyone's fault in particular that sells discoids. The common stock just tends to get mixed up with a lot of blaberus which hybridize. Like common hissers as well are usually a mix.

Hybrids seem to throw off some subtle differences in coloration, but honestly I'm not too experienced with all of this other than talking to other roach/invert hobbyists along with reading forum posts.

Back
Top Bottom