Cheap methods of getting nice looking "branches"?

cswan19

I'm looking for more methods of getting more "crawl space" for my guy. I want hand some bamboo or some kind of branches across my screen cage. My first question is where can I buy some unique/cool (ie. not just straight sticks) branches or logs to put in the cage? My second question is once I find and get what I'm looking for how exactly to I mount them safely in the screen cage?

Outside! :D
It's totally ok to go outside and cut down fresh branches that have the look and shape you want as long as the species of tree is safe, and is not a sappy or pine species. Then you can wash or bake them if you want.

And I usually use thumb-tacs or push-pins through the screen to hold up horizontal branches, one on each end is usually enough to hold up most branches, but heavy ones may need two. Push-pins are easier to remove if you want to take the cage apart to clean or to reposition things in the cage every so often.

after you clean then and put boild water over then (instead of bake in oven) dont you need to "paint" them with anythng? to protect from humidity?

Ummm, nope :)

Unless you want to clear coat them. But make sure they air out before you use them..

I wouldn't coat them though. Just replace them once they get gross. Or use fake ones.

Michael's! They have all sorts of branches, like birch and bamboo. They are generally sold as six foot piece that are usually pretty straight. Find them in the floral department.

If you have something like sandblasted grapewood you will have to seal it, because grapewood soaks up water like a sponge and molds nearly overnight. But if you use natural branches that have their natural, smooth bark they shouldn't rot. I've had the same branches in my cages/free-range for 2 years now and they still look "new."

I'm looking for more methods of getting more "crawl space" for my guy. I want hand some bamboo or some kind of branches across my screen cage. My first question is where can I buy some unique/cool (ie. not just straight sticks) branches or logs to put in the cage? My second question is once I find and get what I'm looking for how exactly to I mount them safely in the screen cage?

Collect bark covered branches from your yard or neighborhood. Remove flaky bark, moss, and dirt. Scrub them with a 1:10 bleach to hot water solution, rinse, and let dry. Keep as much bark as you can, as this will protect the branch from repeated scrubbing and water. Stick to known non toxic trees such as fruit and berry trees, citrus trees, alder, willow, birch, or other common ornamental trees. If you cut the branches, let any sap dry before scrubbing them off.

I usually drill small holes near the ends of the branches, thread florist's wire through, and use the wire to attach them to the cage frame or through the mesh. You can also use twist ties, small zip ties, all sorts of things. Easy to position them and move them when needed.

so after treatement no one ever "paints" thry branches?
there isnt a way to protetc them and make then last? :|

so after treatement no one ever "paints" thry branches?
there isnt a way to protetc them and make then last? :|

Probably because it isn't really necessary and we like to keep things as natural as we can without adding more chemicals.

you can also go to the pet shop and find some bendable fake ones. i use that and also long sticks meant for birds, since they hang.

Back
Top Bottom