Cheap light fixtures

ChrisnLisa

Does anyone own a 4' light fixture that holds one bulb not two? I cannot find one that only holds one...checked home depot, walmart, no luck. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

i don't know why exactly you'd want that, but i found a cheap twin 42 in shoplite at home depot for 10 bucks, and you get better lighting

Thanks...I guess I'll call the other Home Depots by us because the one we went to says they only have a 2 bulb.

Yeah, Home Depot sells a single bulb fixture. I almost purchased one, but got the 8.98 dollar dual fixture instead. :)

Why don't you buy the 2 bulb and put a regular fluorescent in one side?
That's what I have.

-Brad

Hey Brad,

What does the regular florescent provide? Is it just for a brighter cage or does it help the plants? I thought the wavelengths were different between plant and regular fluorescents.
Thanks

Jim

We ended up getting a two bulb from Walmart and are going to put a regular fluorescent in one side. Just wasn't sure if it would effect the fixture using two different types of bulbs.

i just bought some new fixtures 48" with 2 bulb fixtures 8.97 a piece and also some cheap clamp lights. if you want to grow plants you need a different light. for plants you need full spectrum lighting not just UVB. i think they've started selling one or two full spectrum fluorescents at HD but they have them at aquarium supply sellers or hydroponics stores for sure.

Would the full spectrum light effect the chameleons negatively at all? That is a good idea to use one of those to help with plant growth inside of the enclosure.

i've never tried it but it would brighten up the cage with more natural looking lighting for sure. i'm not sure what kind of effect it would have i've never read anything about that type of light in an enclosure. i've read about negative effects with compact UV bulbs but not with any of the tube variety. maybe someone else on the forum has tried grow lights along with a UV? might be a good experiment to try :)

Hey Brad,

What does the regular florescent provide? Is it just for a brighter cage or does it help the plants? I thought the wavelengths were different between plant and regular fluorescents.
Thanks

Jim

It does make the enclosure brighter ...
also mine is a Phillips full spectrum, so I think the UV is good for the plants.
It was only about $6 at Home Depot.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom