Charlie dying??

skully23

Just two days ago I took his whole cage outside to clean and set his plant under the hose to mist. It misted him for about 5mins. After that he was alittle slow but then went straight into his cage. (the misting brought some shedding out)

I think he is really stressed.. Cause he seems to grip things but having some problem.

Right now he is hanging by his tail and I can actually touch him and he won't snap anymore...his grip is ok still..

idk what to do because we dont have money for a vet.. He did open his mouth alittle and it looked kinda dark..idk how to explain...Help me :(

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, and 8-9months. 6-7months in care
Handling - Rarely
Feeding - Crickets, about 10 large a day.. crickets gutloaded with fruits/veggies store bought dry food.
Supplements - repcal with d3 without and vitamins. Try to everyday.
Watering - I use a dripper. Mist atleast once a day, yes I see him drink
Fecal Description - Never tested and normal looking. Mostly white
History - Nothing but he is real pissy.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - All mesh/screen and its 100 gallon size..4 foot tall or 5.
Lighting - Uv tube light and normal house bulb. When I get up they get turned on and off at night
Temperature - Use temp reader of both humidity and temp. around 80s at top..75 mid
Humidity - Normally over 50. misting and plastic
Plants - A schrefella umbrella (spelled wrong)
Placement - My room. no vents or anything.
Location - U.S. Indiana

Current Problem - He seems just alittle weaker since I misted him outside with the hose for 5mins. I think handling during that time stressed him. He kinda opens his mouth when I look at him and its lil dark inside. Right now he is hanging from his tail doing nothing really.

You need a calcium supplement without d3, dust with that everday. Give him the d3 and multivitamins twice a month each. His basking spot should range between 85-90 degrees since he is an older veiled chameleon. I would only feed him about 5-7 large crickets a day, if he is slowing down then every other day. Mist three times a day for 5 minutes each time. Make sure you let the cage dry out inbetween each misting. Make sure you get a digital thermometor and hydrometer.

Just did...idk what to do. no one around has money for a vet...

Sell something if you can or you should think about giving him to a home that can provide him with everything he needs and also that will have money for the vet. Not trying to be mean, just lookin out for the Cham :(

You need a calcium supplement without d3, dust with that everday. Give him the d3 and multivitamins twice a month each. His basking spot should range between 85-90 degrees since he is an older veiled chameleon. I would only feed him about 5-7 large crickets a day, if he is slowing down then every other day. Mist three times a day for 5 minutes each time. Make sure you let the cage dry out inbetween each misting. Make sure you get a digital thermometor and hydrometer.

I have all that. Just lately its little hard to keep up with dusting but it gets done

Sell something if you can or you should think about giving him to a home that can provide him with everything he needs and also that will have money for the vet. Not trying to be mean, just lookin out for the Cham :(

I have been trying to look for home..and I doubt by the time I sell something he would be around.. :(

There is a reptile vet near but its not open.. :( so idk if he will last.
If he is still alive tomorrow morning..I will call and see how much.

You said..."It misted him for about 5mins. After that he was a little slow but then went straight into his cage. (the misting brought some shedding out)"...could the chameleon have aspirated some water?

Last edited:
You said..."It misted him for about 5mins. After that he was a little slow but then went straight into his cage. (the misting brought some shedding out)"...could the chameleon have aspirated some water?

I don't know. I guess I have good news... I asked my mom last night and she said in the morning we would call the small clinic to see if they take chameleons. I think she is going to let me take him in...I really hope all is well and they can do something about it. I'll let you know what happens.

I am so glad that your mom decided to that him to the vets. I hope that all goes well and the vets will be able to help.

I totally agree with the other..... My cham has a very similar problem at the moment (see my posts) and i have spent £300 so far on vets fees.

You shouldnt have an exotic pet if you arent prepared for the worse (vets fees etc)

Sorry to be harsh but its the truth!!! :eek:

Right now he is still down at the base of the pot kinda laying upside down and holding with his feet. He opens his mouth if I look long enough like he always does but he doesn't hiss. He still tries to move but can't seem to find a way to do it.

We called the clinic and they aren't open right now because they are in a meeting...I will have to call later and hope he will be fine then.

So for now what can I do to help him?

I put the dripper near his mouth and let it drip on the edge. He did open his mouth alittle to take some in. I will update later cause I have to go.

Anything I can do til a vet?

The way you are describing what he is doing sounds like he is dying. Without photos of the chameleon it is really difficult to help you set him up comfortably. But I would lay him right side up and set him on a towel or something he can grab hold of.

If he's dying, not much else can be done. A vet won't save him. Especially one where they hold meetings and don't have someone available to help in emergencies. It is very important to have a relationship with a chameleon vet established. I don't think most people even consider this.

Regarding the dripper, you may be adding to the trouble by putting water into his gaping mouth. If he is dying from dehydration, it's not something that can be fixed in an instant. It takes days to reverse the problem.

So should I even waste the trip to the vet? Cause we found another one near and it's open and will look at chameleons.

Right now I have him on a towel and in a box wedge up near his lights. He still makes an effort to open his mouth at me.

So what do I do?

As of now he is gripping his legs and looking around.

SANY2603.jpg

:( he opens his mouth like always when I come around tho
If he does die...what do I do with him..

Back
Top Bottom