Charcoal Layer

meowmix450

Hey,

Looks like I've seen a few of you guys before lol.

Now that my first year of University is over, I'm getting a place of my own and I wanted to do a project with Rhampholeon brevicaudatus. Just a small breeding project; thats if I can even keep them alive. When I use to own them, I probably had to many in a enclosure which made it over crowded and induced stress which in the end equals death. I plan on using a 15 gallon aquarium and housing 1 male with 2 females of R.brevicaudatus.

Now my question is about the charcoal layer at the bottom of the enclosure. Is it possible to use carbon filters for fish as substitute as opposed to charcoal? The point of the charcoal is to filter the water and to help reduce the smell in the enclosure. So I figured that it does the same for fish, so it might work in this situation.

Another question is I'm not sure what type of lid will work best in my situation. I really don't want my roommates to get angry at me when they see pinhead crickets lose or something. Any suggestions would be great

I was thinking about doing similar, do the hydroballs and then place a bunch of filter pads and with that not need the screen.. I had a box of old tetra filter pads.. but.. overall the cost would be twice.... normally without a oh found some on clearance and a staff discount.. and had left over from something else..

if it is "JUST" the charcoal and the filter pad type no reason why not IMOP.. however WAY cheaper to get the charcoal loose, and use screen..
Second concern..
One thing about using a filter pad as a screen layer.. is I could see if a pig dug down deep enough getting tangled up in it "may" be a concern..

I myself am just getting into the pigmy's, and only thinking along the box and using some ideas from experience building previous vivs and such.. that fluffy cotton stuff has lots of places where little cham nails could get caught..

So for now saving my leftover supplies, and will perhaps just use for another animal that will NOT be digging in the substrate.. :)

Back
Top Bottom