Changing the photoperiod

beardiedude

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is fine to flip flop the lights for my cham; instead of them going on during the day, they come on at night.

I work and am at school during the day and never really have the time to enjoy my specimen. Would it be best to do a gradual transition? Is there any chance that the natural warming of the house due to the sunlight outside could cause a confusion and stress?

Anyways, any and all help is appreciated.

I don't think it will work. They seem to have an uncanny ability to know when the sun is up or down even if kept from ever seeing the outside world.

Yep. Way back when before I had digital timers, my veileds would be asleep when I got home late to turn the lights off.

You could try it, but it'd be long and difficult. You'd have to move them to a completely dark room where no windows are, change the photoperiod from normal to your desired photoperiod by 10-15 minutes per day until you get there (so that could take some time), and then stick to it.

I think you'd have an easier time doing it if your cham is really young, and just keeping them on a certain schedule as they grow up.

If the care you provide is better when you're around as opposed to them being alone all day, then it might be worth a shot moving the photoperiod a few hours.

I wouldn't.
messing with your chameleon's circadian rhythm might give an adverse effect on its health.

Mine definitely responds more to what is going on outside than to indoor lights, including his UV-B and the corner lamp he likes to sit on. In winter, he heads for "home" around 3 and is asleep by 5; in the summer, he starts settling down at 7 and may not go to sleep until 9. To echo the others, I wouldn't try it.

I think it may be possible, but extremely difficult. You would have to have a totally controlled environment, i.e. no natural anything, temperature, humidty, light, uvb.

I do know that some plants are grown like this, using a room inside of a room method, so I know it is possible.

However, I do not know the health effects on a cham. I would like to see if it is possibly though, I just wont be doing it with mine. :)

Back
Top Bottom