Cham's reaction to clothes I wear

biochemnerd808

Has anyone else noticed their chameleon have very distinct reactions to what clothes (or more specifically, color) you wear?!
Our Leonard turned all dark brown and puffed up/turned flat and hissed when I walked by his cage. He normally never does this, he gets hand-fed every day (see my other posts for the reason... he's a special-needs cham), and stays pretty light colors around me. I was wearing a red shirt.
Just for fun, I changed into something light blue and walked by, and he stayed his normal docile, pretty self. Then I put the red shirt on, and he puffed up, flattened himself (to look tall), and hissed again.

So weird... and kinda cool.

Most of our chams do that when people wear red and also black. I did notice too that with mine its only my veileds that do it. the panthers are not bothered by colors as much.

My 4 month old veiled has a very strong, negative reation to both red and pink so far. Puffs up, etc. Haven't noticed a bad reaction to black yet :rolleyes:

When our male veiled was around 5 months (me still new to chams at the time), I made the mistake of wearing a hot pink shirt one day :D He did not like it, let me just say!
They are interesting little creatures indeed :D

I try to pay attention to the colors I wear when cleaning cages and even feeding my chams. They use colors to communicate. If you have ever tried to put a male in with an unreceptive female you will know black or dark spots isnt a great color to wear. Im fairly new at this, but I do notice what they are trying to "tell" me ( and each other)by their coloring so I try to recognise and not to disrupt them

I was wearing a mint green sweater the other day..while cleaning my 3 year old male vailed's cage and he jumped on my arm and started humping my arm!!! I'll never do that again!!! he thought my arm was a girl :( poor guy!! I feel bad for him...I'm not planning on breeding him..I'm just to worried about the problems that can happen during breeding:eek:

How weird my veiled does exactly the same thing to red and black! It didn't occur to think wether it affected others in the same way I just thought he was being mardy lol

Yeah, chams have no external ears. It's probably truer of them than most animals to say they use body language....'talk with their skins' (Bartlett and Bartlett 1995):D.
Wearing red is akin to shouting rude words at them.......
Wearing that mint green, is like whispering rude words :p

Yeah, chams have no external ears. It's probably truer of them than most animals to say they use body language....'talk with their skins' (Bartlett and Bartlett 1995):D.

LOL!!:D haha

whispering rude words into my arm...

It really was my fault!!!..I felt bad for him after i pushed him off..He wants a girlfriend :( poor guy..he was super pissed at me after I took the sweater off..I just left him alone

Some people have found that a green glove or cuddly toy can provide relief for a frustrated male Veiled cham.......never done it myself, never had my lizards come on to me yet......just a thought.

My 5 month old panther is the same way. If I wear bright colors like red to hot pink he puffs up and turns dark. He puffed up at my boyfriend once when he had a bright tie on.

It really was my fault!!!..I felt bad for him after i pushed him off..He wants a girlfriend :( poor guy..he was super pissed at me after I took the sweater off..I just left him alone

If it is not a favorite sweater, you could always give him your sweater.:)

I think my veiled hates black. I wear dark colored shirts to work b/c I am in maintenance and stay quite dirty, and I feed him everyday after work. He doesn't seem to be very happy when I walk in the room. I might have to try changing first before I go in and feed him

I think my veiled hates black. I wear dark colored shirts to work b/c I am in maintenance and stay quite dirty, and I feed him everyday after work. He doesn't seem to be very happy when I walk in the room. I might have to try changing first before I go in and feed him

Same here, I feed first thing when I get home at 3:30.
I cant do morning feeding, and hate to feed late!!

I always ware dark green T shirts (Dickies) under my dress shirt, which I unbutton on my way home.
Have not noticed any adverse reactions from any of my guys.
I have noticed they seem to be more likely to get on my hand willingly if I am waring light gray, green or brown colors.
I have a pink/red shirt, it dosent seem to bother them

Mine tend to not care so much but my nail polish color matters! My adult male veiled has always tried to eat my finger when I have orange/red or green colors on them! I guess they look like little hornworms and butterworms.

Back
Top Bottom