Chams in Texas?

Man everyon in Katy (west Houston) is getting a cham :) anyone ever setup a meet? I mean off the forums.

Add me to the Texas owners too! :)

For the most part. Pet shop owners will try to sell you items they stock in there store. If they make 45% on a glass cage or 35% on a screen cage. Unless they have the CHAM-BUG as my wife calls it .They will sell items they make the most profit on......... The importiant part is your personal research to find out what is best your your chameleon. You can find everything you need for your chameleon from our site sponcers. For the most part better prices than your local petshops.Welcome to the forums;)

man I am jealous, I wish I lived in Texas, If I did I would have my self some fine Faly's by now. Lucky dog you are.

Im in Texas and Ive got three clutches of Falys just lookin for new keepers! lol

Seriously I will be at the East Texas Herp Show on Oct 2nd in Houston. If anyone is looking for Nosy Falys or I can also ship if needed.;)

Anyone going to HARKA in Katy this weekend coming up?

Sept 17-18

HARKA Expo

Katy Elks Lodge
Katy, TX

1050 Katy Fort Bend Road
Katy, TX 77493

I'm in Houston too!

My husband and Eric have been good friends for a long time. My husband acctually bought his house from Eric. I remember Eric used to house all of his chameleons in bird cages and stuff like that. I will have to ask him why he is telling people to house them in aquariums now.

I am currently housing my baby jackson's in a glass tank. I was recommended to on this forum... Now I am confused... Once he is a little bit bigger I was planning on moving him into a screen cage. I guess I will do the shower curtain thing. What are you using to attach the shower curtain to the cage?

I dont recommend glass cages for Texas keepers. Even for montane species. Its easier to maintain consistent temps in a screen cage. And normally we plenty of humidity in Texas. This yr is an exception to that with the dry summer we've had. Normally we have humidity in the 80% or higher range here in south texas. Even running a ac all day I dont have any issues keeping my cages in the 50% or higher humidity range. Thats seems to about perfect for pardalis and veileds. You may need a humidifier if your keeping montanes.;)

Anyone in Houston looking for panthers. I will have cb panthers avail on Oct
2nd at the East Texas Herp Society expo. If you need any info just pm me and I will be glad to give you the location.

Im in Texas and Ive got three clutches of Falys just lookin for new keepers! lol

Seriously I will be at the East Texas Herp Show on Oct 2nd in Houston. If anyone is looking for Nosy Falys or I can also ship if needed.;)

Man I'd love to get one from you. I just need another cage for it lol :( What age are they?

I dont recommend glass cages for Texas keepers. Even for montane species. Its easier to maintain consistent temps in a screen cage. And normally we plenty of humidity in Texas. This yr is an exception to that with the dry summer we've had. Normally we have humidity in the 80% or higher range here in south texas. Even running a ac all day I dont have any issues keeping my cages in the 50% or higher humidity range. Thats seems to about perfect for pardalis and veileds. You may need a humidifier if your keeping montanes.;)

Anyone in Houston looking for panthers. I will have cb panthers avail on Oct
2nd at the East Texas Herp Society expo. If you need any info just pm me and I will be glad to give you the location.

I'll be at the ETHS expo too with crested geckos, ball pythons, and corn snakes.

I'll be at the ETHS expo too with crested geckos, ball pythons, and corn snakes.

Cool man, I will be in the Killer Chameleons booth/table. You'll see me I'll have a white t-shirt on with a big Nosy Faly on the front. :D

Hope we all have a profitable show. I know I did yrs ago when I vended this expo. Just hope the economy doesnt dent the crowd this yr.

Cool man, I will be in the Killer Chameleons booth/table. You'll see me I'll have a white t-shirt on with a big Nosy Faly on the front. :D

Hope we all have a profitable show. I know I did yrs ago when I vended this expo. Just hope the economy doesnt dent the crowd this yr.

Will you be attending the ice breaker or conferences? I will. I am a female by the way :) our company name is Texas Herp Connection.

Will you be attending the ice breaker or conferences? I will. I am a female by the way :) our company name is Texas Herp Connection.

Sorry, about the man reference. lol

I dont know if I'll make the ice breaker or not? To be honest Im prob going to be scrambling to get everything together for Sunday. Its been yrs since Ive vended and I used to have a pretty good system but I'll have a new helper this time and I dont know effecient we'll be since we havent done a show together. Im still trying to decide if I should bring caging for new owners to have the option of buying or not? Is there usually a vendor at the show with screen caging? I know back when I vended there wasnt. If someone else is going to be selling cages I dont want to mess with them to be honest. I'll have enuff to pack with the animals, cages, lighting etc....

I've known Eric since before I got my first chameleon in '97 when I lived in Katy. I don't recall what his general husbandry advice was to buyers at the time and I've not been out to see him when I've been in town for a few years, but during the period of time I was visiting his shop he kept his chameleons in both screen and glass enclosures.

My own feelings on chameleon husbandry have shifted in recent years. I used to be convinced that screen enclosures were the best for keeping chameleons, but I'm no longer convinced. To be honest, I think Houston is a prime example of a location where using glass terrariums of appropriate size is ideal for keeping chameleons. Much like south Florida, it is extremely hot and humid for much of the year which necessitates the use of air conditioners to maintain livable temperatures and reduce humidity to fight mold. When central air conditioning units are used to control the indoor climate, maintaining humidity and temperatures inside your chameleon's enclosure is at odds with what you are trying to accomplish with the use of your air conditioning unit. For that reason, Houston and south Florida are two excellent examples of where glass terrariums may be ideal for keeping chameleons, particularly montane species.

It has only been relatively recently that glass terrariums have been widely available commercially in the US and within only the last year have large terrariums become available. Exo Terra now makes up to a 36"x18"x36" glass terrarium, which in my opinion could easily house an adult male veiled or panther chameleon.

Here's some more general information on using glass terrariums that I wrote before the new large sizes were released: http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html

Chris

Ive never had any issues keeping my humidity up in Houston. I dont keep montanes though. I keep pardalis. I havent branched out into the montanes for that very reason I feel our climate is not really conducive to those species without a considerable amt of planning and constant att to detail.

Personally i can see how glass is a good alternative to screen Chris. But I'd have to recommend screen to a novice keeper. Its easier for a novice to spray more often to keep humidity levels at optimum levels than it is for them to know how much and how often to spray a glass cage without risking uri infectons due to a constant wet cage enviroment.

Personally i can see how glass is a good alternative to screen Chris. But I'd have to recommend screen to a novice keeper. Its easier for a novice to spray more often to keep humidity levels at optimum levels than it is for them to know how much and how often to spray a glass cage without risking uri infectons due to a constant wet cage enviroment.

It definitely is another dimension to the husbandry and may not be the best solution for everyone. With the prevailing recommendations of misting times and durations being based on screen enclosures, it definitely would be a husbandry choice that would require careful clarification for novice keepers.

Chris

Sorry, about the man reference. lol

I dont know if I'll make the ice breaker or not? To be honest Im prob going to be scrambling to get everything together for Sunday. Its been yrs since Ive vended and I used to have a pretty good system but I'll have a new helper this time and I dont know effecient we'll be since we havent done a show together. Im still trying to decide if I should bring caging for new owners to have the option of buying or not? Is there usually a vendor at the show with screen caging? I know back when I vended there wasnt. If someone else is going to be selling cages I dont want to mess with them to be honest. I'll have enuff to pack with the animals, cages, lighting etc....

Not going to the Ice Breaker and conferences would be easier, but ever since we started to go to them we can' stop. Sunday morning will be a struggle as always!

I'm in Austin!

I use both the large glass Exo terra (36"x18"x24”) and screen cages. I've found that my female panther is more comfortable in my glass than my male.

My male is more comfortable when he is able to rest above my height. I think he feel like he is in charge when he is looking down on me :). The Exo-terra stand and cage is 4.5’ at the highest. My screen cages allow my male to go up to 6’.

Back
Top Bottom