Chameleons won't eat from hos food cup

saman239

Hi there,

After some discussion on this site, I changed my feeding cup from a small clear tub (Something more suited to a gecko) to a more traditional chameleon feeder.

He didn't eat from the first one and he won't eat from this one (he is 4 months old and was raised with free range)

I have seen him looking at it and looks like he's considering going in for a cricket yet he doesn't.

The odd cricket that escapes the feeder he eats.

I thought maybe the positioning or the colour was making him not interested, any advice?

He pooed a few times in his original one and has in this one today, unsure if intentional but seems like it.

I have had this new feeder since Monday (06/02/23).

I have attached a photo, he didn't like that he started puffing up when I put the camera near him haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-10 130810.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 130810.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
How large are the crickets? They look quite big for a 4 month old chameleon. If feeders are too big chams will not go for them. Make sure the placement of the cup is very close to a branch so they can walk up to the cup to get the crickets out of the bottom of it. Otherwise they can not target the ones staying in the bottom of the cup.

I try a "trail mix" of feeders and home for a few misses. Meal worms crawl up for some reason. House crickets stay low, banded crickets stay high.

PS, clear doesnt work so well, he may be fed up with just hitting the sides trying to get to the feeders. You could try putting blue tape etc around the bottom cup so he cant see the feeders from the sides.

How large are the crickets? They look quite big for a 4 month old chameleon. If feeders are too big chams will not go for them. Make sure the placement of the cup is very close to a branch so they can walk up to the cup to get the crickets out of the bottom of it. Otherwise they can not target the ones staying in the bottom of the cup.
Crickets are 10-12mm, he happily eats themwhen they are free range or hand feed

I have placed it right nect to his basking spot

I try a "trail mix" of feeders and home for a few misses. Meal worms crawl up for some reason. House crickets stay low, banded crickets stay high.

PS, clear doesnt work so well, he may be fed up with just hitting the sides trying to get to the feeders. You could try putting blue tape etc around the bottom cup so he cant see the feeders from the sides.
yea tape is a good idea thank you
I have just started using this glass jar I normally use for shaking the calcium on the crickets, I placed it on a plant and he does eat from it every now and then. He goes straight for the waxworms of course and then some crickets if he fancies it. This so far has been the best method for feeding him.

He doesn't seem to have a burst of eating the crickets though like I've read young chameleons do, he will just eat them over the course of the day, should I be concerned by this?

This is the jar.

As @nightanole suggested I have purchased some blue tape, will try with the proper feeder and this. May place bith in the cage and see what he eats from more.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-16 212232.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-16 212232.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
This is the jar.

As @nightanole suggested I have purchased some blue tape, will try with the proper feeder and this. May place bith in the cage and see what he eats from more.
I personally would not use tape of any kind in an enclosure. Too risky if the cham gets stuck to it. Tape will peel up due to the humidity and moisture in the cage.

I just assumed everyone had a bit of blue painters tape at home...

I didnt mean for someone to buy a roll. And yes it temporary to see if it works. And its painters tape so its semi chameleon friendly, ant nothing sticking to it skin wise. No duct tape in the lizard cages please. Reminds me of the post where the persons chameleon was staying in one spot of the new tree for several days. Turns out it slept on the spot that still had the tacky glue from the price tag and the foot was stuck...

Something like this maybe?

Do you think its an issue he is eating at any time of the day rather than in short bursts? I've read that most young chameleons have like 5minure bursts of eating rather than eating slowly throughout the day?
Yep that would work. All of the chams I have had and raised from babies normally eat everything within the first 15-30 minutes of it going into the cage in the morning. Then spend their day basking and digesting.

Anytime your changing a feeding method though it will take them a few days to understand that is where the food is.

Back
Top Bottom