Chameleons tounge "dropped" HELP! Urgent

Davidlahache

I just noticed my chameleons tounge has dropped, what do I do? Do I put him down? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367282635.832712.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367282613.764885.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367282613.764885.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 151
put him in a tote bin with moist towel so the tongue does not dry out.

He may have overextended it. If he doesn't retract his tongue on his own it will need to be seen by a vet and possibley amputated.

You can try to put the tongue back in. If it won't stay in keep it moist and get him to the vet ASAP. They may be able to get it back in if it's not dried out. It might have to be amputated but he can still live a normal life if you hand feed him or he may be able to learn how to eat out of a shallow cup. May sure to use a vet that has experience with chameleons. Where do you live? A member here might be able to recommend a good vet.

See if you can put him n a deep tote with moist towel in the bottom. Cover the tote or put it in a dark area. He may stop moving around if he is in the dark.

You will need to see a vet

Yes, keeping him in the dark should help. He may not go to sleep if he is uncomfortable, but at least he won't move around and end up tripping over himself. If you have any KY Jelly or other water-based lubricant you could use that to keep the tongue moist as well. But this isn't a death sentence, he can come back from this with the help of a vet.

Just got back from the vet, after a calcium injection her tounge retracted, end is a little swollen and not completely in her mouth, received oral antibiotics to give her and only time will tell, thank you all for your advice and support!

Just got back from the vet, after a calcium injection her tounge retracted, end is a little swollen and not completely in her mouth, received oral antibiotics to give her and only time will tell, thank you all for your advice and support!

That sounds very promising.
I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get her to the vet right away.
I'm also really glad you posted what the vet has done to help her, so that other people can learn from your experience.

I hope your cham heals fully and does so quickly :)

Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt swallow it. My veiled had his tongue fall out and I helped him put it back in but he swallowed it overnight and had to have it amputated. He is doing fine now, but it was a lot of work to get everything okay again.

Back
Top Bottom