Chameleons tail turning black???

Jaymetheturtle

Hello, I have around 10 month old female panther chameleon. This morning I woke up and saw that her entire tail was black and one of her arms was slightly black. I am confused to what this means? And I’m concerned. Any info on whats going on will be helpful. Here is a picture of her this morning.

Attachments

• 5DA7FA85-676D-4E62-A8F2-2BC682CFE2F6.jpeg
    5DA7FA85-676D-4E62-A8F2-2BC682CFE2F6.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 140
That doesn't look good. Can you fill out the help form so people have a better idea about what's going on with her?

i agree witk mike this is usually not a good sign, fed the help form :

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Definitely fill out the form above!!!!!

but can she still curl her tail? From what I've researched if they can't curl their tail it could be necrotic(?) which can spread... on the other end it could be constricted/broken blood vessels... or a UV burn ? Might be better off taking her to the vet just to be sure.

Definitely fill out the form above!!!!!

but can she still curl her tail? From what I've researched if they can't curl their tail it could be necrotic(?) which can spread... on the other end it could be constricted/broken blood vessels... or a UV burn ? Might be better off taking her to the vet just to be sure.

That's always a good idea. If its a good vet they should be asking you the same questions as the help form. Sometimes when a tail turns black its from stuck shed but you have it on the arm as well.

Any update on the chameleon? Looks like bruising but if she hasnt fallen then there is something going on that needs vet attention.

Any update on the chameleon? Looks like bruising but if she hasnt fallen then there is something going on that needs vet attention.

This member has a long history of posting questions and asking for help, but then almost never bothers to followup in their posts or respond to advice. I try to keep a mental list of members with less than responsible attitudes and this is one of them. Took us months to get them to acknowledge their chameleon is female. I wouldn't get your hopes up for an update until something else goes wrong again...

This member has a long history of posting questions and asking for help, but then almost never bothers to followup in their posts or respond to advice. I try to keep a mental list of members with less than responsible attitudes and this is one of them. Took us months to get them to acknowledge their chameleon is female. I wouldn't get your hopes up for an update until something else goes wrong again...

Hey, I use this forum differently then others. I ask questions for different opinions then contact my vet.

I have seen this before.

Unless she is burned from her heat lamp, it is a bizarre occurring natural phenomenon. I have known others to have females have this type of coloration all their lives and have no ill effects.

What is your basking spot temperatures.

You are wise to still take her to a vet though. I hope this vet is properly qualified?

I have seen this before.

Unless she is burned from her heat lamp, it is a bizarre occurring natural phenomenon. I have known others to have females have this type of coloration all their lives and have no ill effects.

What is your basking spot temperatures.

You are wise to still take her to a vet though. I hope this vet is properly qualified?

Thanks that eases me a bit, but she has become more dehydrated even though she has multiple times in the day where her dripping system is running. I just gave her a shower and she seems much more energized.

How often do you mist the cage and for how long each time? A dripper shouldnt be the only source of water throughout the day.

Thanks that eases me a bit, but she has become more dehydrated even though she has multiple times in the day where her dripping system is running. I just gave her a shower and she seems much more energized.

Maybe give her one of those really long showers people talk about until you can get her to the vet tomorrow? I've read the more experienced people on the forum suggest putting a plant in the shower and turning it on directing it towards the wall so that the mist that bounces off the wall reaches her. You'd have to make sure the water is not hot or warm... to us, what feels warm is too hot for them.. I'm sure someone with more experience will jump in and give a better explanation to the whole shower method. I don't know too much, but I have seen multiple people suggest this in cases of dehydration.

Maybe give her one of those really long showers people talk about until you can get her to the vet tomorrow? I've read the more experienced people on the forum suggest putting a plant in the shower and turning it on directing it towards the wall so that the mist that bounces off the wall reaches her. You'd have to make sure the water is not hot or warm... to us, what feels warm is too hot for them.. I'm sure someone with more experience will jump in and give a better explanation to the whole shower method. I don't know too much, but I have seen multiple people suggest this in cases of dehydration.
I actually gave her one and she seemed a lot more energetic today

Back
Top Bottom