Chameleons plant issue

Hello,
New to forums with my two veiled chams an 3 female panthers an 1 male panther. With the upcoming winter been trying upper humidity levels during day an at night. Been adding more plants this early fall. But ran into a issue with mealy bugs with plants inside enclosure.
Only thing I found helpful is rubbing alcohol an neem oil. I used rubbing alcohol pads an it does kill mealy bugs. But my question is neem oil safe for chameleons. Haven't tried or use this product yet. If it's helpful with Suffocating mealy bugs.
I misted plants that I use inside enclosures with 50/5] water/rubbing alcohol an rinsed well few days ago.
I have my young chameleons in 18"18"36" tall enclosures but heard it isn't best way to go. Want to go 24"24"48" size just tight on money currently.
Also researched keeping humidity higher when lights are off then when there on. I have misting systems for when lights are on for every 2 hours at 45 seconds duration.
Can I run misting systems when lights are off or just on? I use a humidifier at night but don't think it's keeping humidity at 70-90 as recommended.
I'll post a photo of my male panther haven't took any recent of the others as he's newest an coolest lol. Not best photo but he's quite mean. Doesn't like his photo taken. Females are alot nicer. They like climb behind my head when I mist them during the day. Mostly older panther female that does this. Father of this male panther is Yellowstone. From a private breeder I found on another forum site. Maybe he's known on this site no clue.
Just trying get him on right track an my other two female panthers aren't doing very well. Added laying bins but haven't been interested in them yet. There about 8-9 months old an other female is almost year old. Veiled are males 3 an 2 years old. There doing very well just mean. Seems be that way with males.

Attachments

• 20211110_191014.jpg
    20211110_191014.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 104
I don’t know about neem. I know some have used mosquito bits in their plants, but not sure if those would work with mealy bugs. I found this, which if only the soil is treated should be safe for your chameleons.
Soapy Spray: The University of Wisconsin recommends using a soapy-spray to eliminate mealybugs. [source]
Mix one gallon of water with two tablespoons of mild dish soap. Spray the insecticidal soap mixture on your plant and in the plant soil. This will deter mealybugs from living in your plant’s space.
https://plantcaretoday.com/mealybugs-in-soil.html
You could also try some lacewings to eliminate them.
Regarding running the humidifier at night, it depends on your night temps. If your temps are cool, like below 70, yes you can use a cool mist humidifier. I don’t use a humidifier. Instead I have my Mist King set to go off for only about 15 seconds a couple of times during the night.

Mealy bugs are the bane of my existence. I can't tell you how many times I washed down my papaya trees with soapy water only to see them wither away and die from those darn pests. The Neem oil works.

If I were in your position I'd treat it like a parasite infestation and just start over. New soil, new plants, new branches. They're just too effing persistent.

Welcome to the asylum forum! :)
Hello,
New to forums with my two veiled chams an 3 female panthers an 1 male panther. With the upcoming winter been trying upper humidity levels during day an at night. Been adding more plants this early fall. But ran into a issue with mealy bugs with plants inside enclosure.
Only thing I found helpful is rubbing alcohol an neem oil. I used rubbing alcohol pads an it does kill mealy bugs. But my question is neem oil safe for chameleons. Haven't tried or use this product yet. If it's helpful with Suffocating mealy bugs.
My Missus has been a 'professional' mealy bug hunter for decades. She's never used neem oil; she uses straight 70% alcohol with a cotton swab, and mumbled something about 'gratifying'. She says she's also used 3% peroxide with a swab.

She's used soap for other pests, but nothing that goes into an enclosure.

I misted plants that I use inside enclosures with 50/5] water/rubbing alcohol an rinsed well few days ago.
I have my young chameleons in 18"18"36" tall enclosures but heard it isn't best way to go. Want to go 24"24"48"
(y) Mine went into his full-size 48"x24"x48" enclosure the day he arrived @ 3 months old. They're fine going into adult size enclosures from the git-go. ;)

Are your enclosures 'standard' or bioactive?

Also researched keeping humidity higher when lights are off then when there on.
That should happen to some extent naturally. As temps drop, humidity rises, and vice-versa.

I have misting systems for when lights are on for every 2 hours at 45 seconds duration.
That would be excessive where I live. The enclosure needs to dry out completely between mistings to avoid groth of molds, mildew, bacteria, and mealy bugs.
Mealybugs are highly attracted to moisture, so they often gravitate to over-watered plants.​

Can I run misting systems when lights are off or just on? I use a humidifier at night but don't think it's keeping humidity at 70-90 as recommended.
Many mist at lights-on & lights-off; some do a mid-day session to supply drinking water.

Where I live (Northeast) I've not needed a fogger; I've been able to attain sufficient nighttime humidity with periodic nighttime mistings, 2 min. each every 3 hours. This is enough time for the enclosure to dry out between. Conditions may/will vary elsewhere—several variables.

I'll post a photo of my male panther haven't took any recent of the others as he's newest an coolest lol. Not best photo but he's quite mean.
My male panther is called Ol' GrumpyPants, and it's not from his winning smile. ;)

Doesn't like his photo taken. Females are alot nicer. They like climb behind my head when I mist them during the day. Mostly older panther female that does this. Father of this male panther is Yellowstone. From a private breeder I found on another forum site. Maybe he's known on this site no clue.
Some breeders are site sponsors; others post in the classified section.

Just trying get him on right track an my other two female panthers aren't doing very well. Added laying bins but haven't been interested in them yet. There about 8-9 months old an other female is almost year old. Veiled are males 3 an 2 years old. There doing very well just mean. Seems be that way with males.
Can the males see the females or each other? This can definitely affect their demeanors adversely.
Even in separate enclosures across the room—they have excellent eyesight at long distances due to their unique(?) concave (negative) lenses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon_vision

Just seems even new plants get these mealy bugs. I used the 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water method. Going to use neem oil on my costly plants maybe rinse them well in the spring. For the new bigger enclosures. Have two 24"24" 48" tall enclosures been working on. But all my plants an branches ain't working out. Other then the infested big ones I have. Only ones I can think of. Is the females can see the big veiled male I have. Forget take a photo of him. But did the panthers today. My male panther I put a defuser just water on top of the cage. So fog falls down inside cage.
He's been really shy an not eating much but still looks good. Just not liking his small superworms over the crickets. Going try small dubia an hornworms during the week when they come. Females been on hunger strikes lately with the crickets. But got them eat small superworms today.
Any advice on where get cheap plants at decent size for big enclosures.
With mealy bug situation back to start with getting new plants for upcoming new cages. There currently in 18"18"36" enclosures an 16"16"30". Using the Arcadia 6% for uvb an 75 watt for basking with dimmer switches. Keep Temps around 80-85 for all.

Attachments

• 20211112_191500.jpg
    20211112_191500.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211112_192220.jpg
    20211112_192220.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20211112_191358.jpg
    20211112_191358.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211112_191258.jpg
    20211112_191258.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20211112_192315.jpg
    20211112_192315.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 76
Been propagating cuttings of the pothos lately. Had few success. Can't figure out the

Philodendron tho. Failed twice so far. But have a few good mealy bug free plants. Gave up on the umbrella plants been fifth plant so far that drops leaves.

Attachments

• 20211112_225954.jpg
    20211112_225954.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211112_230227.jpg
    20211112_230227.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20211112_230222.jpg
    20211112_230222.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211112_230357.jpg
    20211112_230357.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 73
Been propagating cuttings of the pothos lately. Had few success. Can't figure out the
Philodendron tho. Failed twice so far. But have a few good mealy bug free plants. Gave up on the umbrella plants been fifth plant so far that drops leaves.
Pothos and vine philodendron are very similar in both appearance and care. I treat them the same.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=pothos+vs.+philodendron

Did your umbrellas get a chance to dry out between waterings? Some get too much water from misting.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=overwatering+umbrella+plants

Have you tried Physan? I use it on all new plants, and it kills everything and is cham-safe after thorough rinsing!

Have you tried Physan? I use it on all new plants, and it kills everything and is cham-safe after thorough rinsing!
I think I'll pass—I just read the label.
http://www.physan.com/uploads/4/7/1/3/47130233/physan_20-drum-epa-2010-2cl.pdf

I believe it kills everything. Do you have a permit for rinsing it down your drain?
ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This pesticide is toxic to fish. Do not
discharge effluent containing this product
into lakes, streams, ponds, estuaries,
oceans, or public waters unless this
product is specifically identified and
addressed in an NPDES permit. Do not
discharge effluent containing this product
to sewer systems without previously
notifying the sewage treatment plant
authority. For guidance contact your State
Water Board or Regional Office of the EPA.

Likewise for the active ingredients.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32640297/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjlq7Cnx5X0AhUOCs0KHYXzD8EQFnoECDcQAQ&url=https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2013-08/documents/fact_sheet_for_families_choosing_safer_products_to_clean_and_sanitize_your_home.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3xHOas38j_S_0w4fmkhSGc7QY3oajpE8fhHqJ2P_LMzEhaik3LKUElZoQ&usg=AOvVaw2nENRtYOSzoyRuZJ59AhrR

Last edited:
Not sure what happen. But one of my female panthers is almost dead. Was checking her mouth an bite my finger. Not sure where to post it so posted on this topic.
She seemed ok yesterday. Feed her small superworms like the usual. Her stool is very strange an found her few minutes ago hanging from branch at the bottom. Cleaned her enclosure few days ago. Washed the plants an still confused an heartbroken.

Attachments

• 20211114_101913.jpg
    20211114_101913.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211114_102959.jpg
    20211114_102959.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 75
Are you feeding anything besides the superworms? I'm seeing a lot of those—both digested and not-so-digested.

What did you wash the plants with?

Are you feeding anything besides the superworms? I'm seeing a lot of those—both digested and not-so-digested.

What did you wash the plants with?
I feed crickets an nutri grubs mostly. Just did the small superworms because was out of the grubs.
I used 50/50 solution water an rubbing alcohol then rinsed really well afterwards.

I feed crickets an nutri grubs mostly. Just did the small superworms because was out of the grubs.
I used 50/50 solution water an rubbing alcohol then rinsed really well afterwards.
OK, I'm not seeing anything there that would account for it as long as the alcohol evaporated completely (no residual odor).

Posting it here is fine (it's kinda your thread) but there's no law against starting another thread in the Health Clinic area—it's a different issue. It might get more traffic there, rather than pinging folk from here.

I know this thread is abou the mealworms but you said..."my other two female panthers aren't doing very well. Added laying bins but haven't been interested in them yet. There about 8-9 months old an other female is almost year old"..what's the substrate in the laybins? What do you mean that your two females aren't doing well?

I made a new thread in that section. Laying bins are what was recommended 50/50 organic Playsand an organic potting soil. Potting soil had perlite or white stuff in it.
Other two females don't climb very well seem tipsy an sluggish. But they are eating an have uvb an correct Temps so not sure why. An mealworms an superworms are different. Small superworms don't have to be refrigerated like mealworms.

Back
Top Bottom