Chameleons! Online E-Zine - New Issue!

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
Hey everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that the latest issue of the Chameleons! Online E-Zine has been released. This issue includes the following articles:

- "Words from the Editor" by Chris Anderson
- "Jackson's Chameleons (Trioceros jacksonii) in Captivity" by Kent Manchen
- "Lighting for Chameleons - Part #2" by Dave Weldon
- "Keeping Bradypodion" by Steven Deckers & Chris Anderson
- "Keeping Chameleons in Glass Terrariums" by Chris Anderson
- "Questions and Answers" by Jared Cain

Take a look at the new issue and make sure to sign up on Facebook to receive future notifications of new content!

http://www.chameleonnews.com

Chris

Hey everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that the latest issue of the Chameleons! Online E-Zine has been released. This issue includes the following articles:

- "Words from the Editor" by Chris Anderson
- "Jackson's Chameleons (Trioceros jacksonii) in Captivity" by Kent Manchen
- "Lighting for Chameleons - Part #2" by Dave Weldon
- "Keeping Bradypodion" by Steven Deckers & Chris Anderson
- "Keeping Chameleons in Glass Terrariums" by Chris Anderson
- "Questions and Answers" by Jared Cain

Take a look at the new issue and make sure to sign up on Facebook to receive future notifications of new content!

http://www.chameleonnews.com

Chris

Awesome article on Jackson's Chameleons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to be a part of the E-Zine!!! Hopefully people will feel free to ask me questions so I can have a more diverse article next time instead of a bunch of Kinyongia Q&A's:eek: That seems to be the most questions I get. Imagine that:rolleyes:

I read two of the articles and found them very interesting indeed. I need to find a bit more time to read the rest. Thank you for all the work you put into these E-Zines.

Just two days ago I came across E-Zine by chance and I haven't stopped reading yet. Great indepth articles. Keep up the great work and keep the acticles coming.

well done

Great work on everyone's part. Thanks very much.

I really liked the articles on lighting; clearly explains all the options and aspects. Light is critical, and we just don't have good language to talk about quantities and qualities of light for plants and animals. Worth reading these carefully.

...Light is critical...
Howdy Dave G,

(It was partly issues like the one below that inspired me to write that UVB article for Chris :eek:.)

With light being so critical, it's scary how much variability we can be subjected to by some of the UVB light source manufacturers out there. Dr. Baines posted some more measurement results on the UVB_Meter_Owners group this morning. She has been monitoring the output from several different popular mercury vapor UVB lamps, looking for unsafe output levels caused by manufacturing inconsistencies within a product line. Here is a summary of some of her recent measurements as noted in her post from this morning (my colors and bolding etc.):

...here are my most recent Solar Glo and T-Rex "standard economy" results at 12 inches:

(tested in March - April this year)
Solar Glo 125W after 105hrs burn:
Lamp 1 - 160uW/cm2 UV Index 6.1
Lamp 2 - 29 uW/cm2 UV Index 0.6
Lamp 3 - 25 uW/cm2 UV Index 0.6
(but ExoTerra may have changed the specs yet again, to a higher output, I haven't tested any recently. They change specs very frequently and with no warning)

T-Rex UV Heat "standard economy" 100W after 105 hrs burn:

Lamp 1 - 55 uW/cm2 UV Index 3.8
Lamp 2 - 119 uW/cm2 UV Index 10.5
(This is a HUGE difference between 2 supposedly identical lamps. The second one I would regard as unsuitable for use at 12 inches...and the ratio of UVB: UVI is very high for both lamps.)

When the ratio of uW to UVI is so high, it is because parts of its spectral content are shifted into the more biologically active portion of the spectrum. This is not a desired effect :(. Within those 5 lamps tested, the uW/UVI ratio is as low as .02 to as high as .09 which is over 4 times greater than the other.

As you can see from the uW/cm2 UVB levels and the UV Index levels, without meter measurements we could either be subjecting our chameleons to dangerously high uW and UVI levels just by replacing an old, burned-out lamp with a new one or get lucky and have picked one from the shelf that is safe and effective :(.

Many reptile keepers use these lamps, not only as a UVB source but as a basking heat source too. Imagine that they are positioning the lamp for optimum basking temp and not know that the UVB/UVI levels could be dangerously high :(.

great e-zine

the e-zine is absoutly a great read and very informative, i whave been studying the article on autopsy because i wish to confirm what my CoeChi succombed to and it will be a very dear learning experience for me, i want to keep his lil heart in a glass vile, what can u recommend i keep it in, which solution will maintain it's apperance for the coming decade, because i am taking his heart with me when i pass away, otherwise every article reads like an enclypedia there is a lot of really good information, thanks for publishing

Back
Top Bottom