Chameleons in school

Hope you liked our set ups. We have chickens outside and have oak cabins in the school gardens so they can continue learning about Welsh wildlife. We have cameras pointing at the fox den outside the year 2 class and a camera inside the blue tit nest... The menagerie has extended in my office so we have Argentinian horned frog and pygmy chameleon in there too. Will look forward to learning more on this forum. Reptile Magazine have asked the children for an article in one of their next issues :)

Supper cool set ups you have im coming to your school thats awesome....all hey teach my nephew ion class is math english and sience..... i think that would also salve the prolem of kids scipping so much...i know i wouldnt id be there when the doors unlock every day waiting to see them...:rolleyes::D

Another species we found on our travels to Madagascar but don't know what species.

I'd guess F. verrucosus. Where were you, down in the south or SW? The high casque reminds me of Oustaleti but they don't have the larger spines under the throat.

Last edited:
Found this by the tent with a torch - ran to get students and camera and spent an hour looking for it as I forgot to mark the point. I think it was blue-footed chameleon

C. brevicornis I think. Huge occipital lobes and short rostral. Near Ranomafana right?

We are currently working with some Pygmy Leaf Chameleons and were disappointed that within a few days we had lost 2. Thankfully things have now settled and the remaining 8 appear healthy. We are at a loss why we should have lost them as the temperatures and everything else appear perfect.

As your pygmies were most likely imported, it could be that some were either less robust, had some existing health problem, or were older and the stress of capture and shipping was just too much for them. They have a very short life even in the wild.

Great looking animals, setups and photos. Here are the IDs on the chams you posted:

Here are some chameleons that we saw when I took some students to Madagascar earlier this year. Can anyone identify them :)
I'll post photos of our set up tomorrow.
Almost stepped on this as we walked through Ranomafara rainforest

Male Brookesia superciliaris.

Found this by the tent with a torch - ran to get students and camera and spent an hour looking for it as I forgot to mark the point. I think it was blue-footed chameleon

Male Calumma brevicorne.

Another chameleon found in Ranomafara. Not sure of species.

This one is more difficult. Do you have any additional photos of it? It is from the Calumma nasutum species complex, but its hard to say for sure which without additional pictures.

Another species we found on our travels to Madagascar but don't know what species.

Male Furcifer oustaleti.

Best,

Chris

With every pic comes jealousy... Wish I had this in school! Keep it up, they all seem so interested in learning about these repto's!

Back
Top Bottom