Chameleons in Florida?

aramnath

I have a 4 month old Veiled Chameleon and was interested in moving his cage outdoors here in sunny Orlando, Florida. I know some people are successful in places like California where it gets far much hotter, so I was hoping to have the same luck here in Orlando. If I could get some of you guys to weigh in that would be awesome, some experienced keepers in housing their chams outdoors would help too, thanks!

I have a 4 month old Veiled Chameleon and was interested in moving his cage outdoors here in sunny Orlando, Florida. I know some people are successful in places like California where it gets far much hotter, so I was hoping to have the same luck here in Orlando. If I could get some of you guys to weigh in that would be awesome, some experienced keepers in housing their chams outdoors would help too, thanks!

I'm not a Floradian, I'm a Californian (not by birth - thank God!), but here's my two cents on this:

Just as long as your chams have plenty of places to hide from the direct sun's heat, they should be fine if left throughout the day. I wouldn't keep them outside in temperatures higher than 95 deg F and below 60 deg F. Be careful with those cheap, plastic screen outdoor cages. The black plastic adsorbs the heat, and the inside of it acts like an oven, holding the temperatures higher inside than outside. Minimize solid surfaces. Solid surfaces hold heat. They reflect it and radiate it back on your chams. Over heating is probably your main concern.

Veileds survive in the wild in parts of Florida. They are a very hardy species. If they're well hydrated, have a place to get out of the sun, and a well aeriated cage, they should be fine.

I found this thread and I would really like to hear more input from the experienced .
I live in Miami and currently putting together an outside Habitat. I have a Large terrace facing East overlooking Biscayne Bay it gets nice breezes from the bay, The sun can be brutal especially in the morning till about 12-1 pm

I have a automated screen already in place. I will attach a links so you can see. I had a monsoon 400 which crapped out in 3 weeks replaced it with a MistKing which will arrive any day.

During the 4 week period from around July 20th till Mid August I monitored both temperature and humidity . The mister and Lights pass thru two separate Zoo Med Repti Temp 500R Thermostats . The highest temp I recorded was 85 degrees the median temp around 74-77 degrees but humidity is real hard to keep down, In the beginning I recorded 84 % now I have it pretty much hitting highs around 2-3 pm 70-74 % I was told by one of the senior members living a bit further north, i should just mist more on those really humid days. If I have to I bring them indoors in the heat of the summer I will.
I have 2 cages 24x24x48 and a 18x18x36 You may be questioning why lights ? I must have real plants and indirect sun passing through the screen They will never thrive . I am already prepared to rotate the plants. The habitat will be heavily planted ( see link) At first I was set on a Veil, Now I want to get a panther and waiting on one from one our members. YEAH
Those with experience , how do you feel about the lights ? I don't feel a 5 and a 10 compact will hurt the cham or will it ? What are your feelings on this ? I realize that the lights are out of the question in the summer the thermostat would not allow them to turn on. I am thinking from 4-6 pm give the plants an extra boost . I listed the plants in other postings.

Here is the link to see the screens to enlarge the photographs just click on
them http://cl.ly/R9ce

here you can see how I am training the plants protecting the electrical lights thermostats etc .. Nothing is made for outdoor use. I did purchase stainless steel cage .
I want to thank those that post some really great Ideas through there experience. I welcome your suggestions and Knowledge..

http://cl.ly/2l0c043F1W27

I don't know how your temps could be so low outside. Are you sure they are accurate? Have you tried using a temp gun? 85 seems awfully low with the temps we see in south Florida. Why not move the cages so they get some sunlight and then you don't have to worry about the lights. Also do not worry about the humidity, your chameleon will do just fine. Mine live outside most of the day and many nights. They can take the heat more than people think. I know other members who have theirs outside 24/7. You need to bring them in if it s going to get below 50. That is my cut off for low temps. Also what is automated screen?

You should be OK, especially with the cooler months coming up. Provide shade, water, mist the cage to cool them down, bring them in if it gets below 50. Check your chameleon for gaping and overheating. It us hot right now but I know Orlando is cooler than south Florida. I personally right now would not go to work all day if you cannot monitor the situation, in a few months, yes it will be ideal chameleon weather!

what gun would you recommend

I don't know how your temps could be so low outside. Are you sure they are accurate? Have you tried using a temp gun? 85 seems awfully low with the temps we see in south Florida. Why not move the cages so they get some sunlight and then you don't have to worry about the lights. Also do not worry about the humidity, your chameleon will do just fine. Mine live outside most of the day and many nights. They can take the heat more than people think. I know other members who have theirs outside 24/7. You need to bring them in if it s going to get below 50. That is my cut off for low temps. Also what is automated screen?

I just started a thread to ask members what gun they suggest . Today it was in the 90's I am on the bay and get excellent breezes if they exist , with misting and a nice shady cove I built up and using several $10 digital thermometers i am staying around 85-87 at the hottest part of the day. . I take my hobbies seriously and love thing that blink and go beep . What gun do you suggest ?

My husband got one for me at Harbor Freight Tools. I am out of town right now so cannot tell you the brand. I think it costs around $30

checking temps

I find it best to keep several thermometers. every place i need to check temps, i have at least 2 readers. 3 if i can place them there. use the average.

Back
Top Bottom