Chameleons in apartments?

Marc10edora

Avid Member
It looks like by the end of the year, I will be moving to San Francisco. Most likely I will be buying a condo. I just wanted to know if anyone on here has any experience raising a cham in an apartment or condo? There are a couple of questions I need to ask:

1) How do you handle drainage? Right now my cage has a drainage tank. But where would I dump that stuff besides putting it down the sink....:( It's not like I can just pour it over the balcony.

uhh... I think that's pretty much all I need to know. I'm sure I'll have some more questions later. I'm happy because I can finally afford my own place. But at the same time, it sucks because there is a good possibility that I won't be able to bring my cham. Plus I am always working on big projects and I won't have a garage to work in.

Lucky you! I love SF!

I started in the hobby when we lived in a condo. Make sure you have a south facing patio. You want as much morning and afternoon sun as possible. You'll need to dump any dirty water down the toilet. You can do it. :)

It looks like by the end of the year, I will be moving to San Francisco. Most likely I will be buying a condo. I just wanted to know if anyone on here has any experience raising a cham in an apartment or condo? There are a couple of questions I need to ask:

1) How do you handle drainage? Right now my cage has a drainage tank. But where would I dump that stuff besides putting it down the sink....:( It's not like I can just pour it over the balcony.

uhh... I think that's pretty much all I need to know. I'm sure I'll have some more questions later. I'm happy because I can finally afford my own place. But at the same time, it sucks because there is a good possibility that I won't be able to bring my cham. Plus I am always working on big projects and I won't have a garage to work in.

They DO have toilets, you know. :p

I live in an Apt. and my drainage issues got more difficult with the new location compared to my old place.

The toilet is where I do all my water dumps...... just be careful with the spills and be sure to wipe up after and maybe pour in some bleach.... if you have a WC with any parasites you don't wanna catch them yourself... :eek:

Is that really possible?

For some kinds, yes.

Sorta like why you don't drink the water in Mexico when you visit. There are things in the water our bodies aren't used to that make us sick.... There are things in our water as well... just not high enough levels to cause illness or that we aren't already used to.

For some kinds, yes.

Sorta like why you don't drink the water in Mexico when you visit. There are things in the water our bodies aren't used to that make us sick.... There are things in our water as well... just not high enough levels to cause illness or that we aren't already used to.

That's pretty gross. :p Good to know just in case I decide to do a quick clean up down the toilet in the near future lmao!

(I've never been to Mexico..)

That's pretty gross. :p Good to know just in case I decide to do a quick clean up down the toilet in the near future lmao!

Or what if you get a splasher while dropping the kids off at the pool. You could probably catch something like that too.

I have for work... down to TJ. Don't eat anything that might be made with local water... the salsa... ice cubes... and don't drink water from a tap.

Each day I was there I had my Camel Pak with me... borrowed from my mountain bike gear. The border patrol guy stopped me the first day when I put it through the scanner device... wanted to now what was inside... when he realized what it was he said 'good idea'.

I have for work... down to TJ. Don't eat anything that might be made with local water... the salsa... ice cubes... and don't drink water from a tap.

Each day I was there I had my Camel Pak with me... borrowed from my mountain bike gear. The border patrol guy stopped me the first day when I put it through the scanner device... wanted to now what was inside... when he realized what it was he said 'good idea'.

How did you brush your teeth without the tap water? I'm going to china next week and I'll have to worry about the same thing. Do you think hot tea will be safe to drink?

How did you brush your teeth without the tap water? I'm going to china next week and I'll have to worry about the same thing. Do you think hot tea will be safe to drink?

Get a UVC light that is for travelers. You place it in your water for a couple of minutes and it kills off the living stuff. My GF's sister and brother in law were all over Asia for 3 months... They went to the doc for all kinds of shots and meds. There are travel forums that can give you some tips.

I only was in Mexico during the day. My hotel was in old town San Diego and we would drive down to the border and get a taxi (that is a death wish) or get picked up by someone from our company.

Ack! Taxi at the border = death wish. But more so, Pedestrian in Mexico = DEAD! Man, they actually AIM for people walking.

And the water thing is quite true. All but the truly poor over there now use bottled water for cooking/drinking and tap is only for cleaning, but still ask (if possible) to make sure wherever you go. :)

I lived in ElPaso for 18 yrs, and my BF in Juarez for 19 yrs, so we know. ;)

Anyway, as for the apartment thing, I should think only a few adjustments would have to be made. I live in a 2 bdrm apt with little actual floor space (the walls and counters are angled. Makes a cool look, but not much room) and I own 12 snakes, a BTS, and as of next week a male veiled cham. :)
The whole thing is space conservation. Since cham cages should be tall and long rather than wide, it's quite possible to place one against a wall in an apt. and not have it in the way too much.
As for drainage, mine uses a plastic tub under the cage floor which has 5 PVC drains in it. A daily trip to the bathroom with the tub and viola! :)

Careful with your drainage issues! Unfortunately I had a drainage problem for awhile with one of my chameleons when I was in an apartment, and I didn't realize it. Water leaked into the carpet under the cage. When we moved out, there was a pretty unsightly stain on the carpet... it cost me my security deposit.

Why not down the kitchen sink drain? IT CANT be much worse than ground up 2 day old food from the built in food processor that they put in some of them! :)

(Kidding, I know it is a garbage disposal)

Why not down the kitchen sink drain? IT CANT be much worse than ground up 2 day old food from the built in food processor that they put in some of them! :)

(Kidding, I know it is a garbage disposal)

I wouldn't want this water anywhere near my kitchen. No matter how I try to keep the cage clean, the drainage water gets mixed up with soil, dead cricket parts, and poop. I wouldn't take that chance.

marc, in China, avoid eating at street vendor and don't drink anything (ice included) that does not come from a bottle.
as far as kitchen sink goes... I agree.. don't put the water there..
oddly though, i have a feelin that if they test it in the lab... the sink probably contain more scary stuffs than your chameleon water.. idk

Back
Top Bottom