Chameleon's Head

AlexH1

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled / yemen chameleon, 4 months old ( I think ) and has been in my care for 3 months
  • Handling - I handle him quite often, he loves to come out of his viv. Note: It was after 2 months of me having him he became tame and started coming out alot with me handling him. Some days he likes to stay in his viv to bask and then other days he will come out of his viv for a few hours at a time ( sometimes only for about 20-30 minutes )
  • Feeding - Im now feeding him size 8-12mm crickets everyday, and then mealworms and calciworms every other day, also recently he's started eating a little of grapes. 15-25 crickets a day, hard to say when I feed him calciworms and mealworms but around 20. I gut load my feeders by putting fresh veg or fruit in the night before
  • Supplements - Exo terra calcium, Exo terra calcium and d3, exo terra multi vitamin. Schedule: Monday is D3, Wednesday is calcium, Friday is calcium, Sunday is calium ( this is the same every week ) and then every 2 weeks on Thurday is multi vitamin. ( I will leave a screenshot of his supplement schedule
  • Watering - I have a dripper and I also mist myself 3-4 times a day for about 1-2 minutes. Also I have a fogger with mainly keeps the humidity but also applies a small amount of water to the leaves. Yes I see him drinking
  • Fecal Description - Never been tested for parasites and his poo is very healthy I always check on it
  • History - I dont have any history, he was young when I had him

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage 40 x 40 x 50 height
  • Lighting - Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 Mini Compact UVB Lamp, 13 W and Exo Terra PT2133 Daylight Basking Spot, 100 Watt usually but its become a little cold where I live the past few days so Im currently using Exo Terra PT2134 Daylight Basking Spot, 150 Watt. Lights turn on at 6am and turn off at 8pm, Im giving him 14 hours of light. Note: If his viv go's b eyond 30 °C ( 86 °F ) his thermostat will automatically turn his basking light off until the temperature decreases to 29 °C ( 84.2 °F )
  • Temperature - Cage Floor stays at around 25 °C ( 77 °F ) when the basking spot is around 30 °C ( 86 °F ) Over night tempertare is usually between 19 °C (66.2 °F ) - 22°C ( 71.6 °F ) I have a Reptile Vivarium Professional Digital Day / Night Thermostat + Humidistat with Timer in his basking spot and then I have two Exo Terra PT2472 Digital Thermometer's one in the middle and then one at the bottom of the cage. The Reptile Vivarium Professional Digital Day / Night Thermostat + Humidistat with Timer turns the lights on and off and will also turn the basking bulb on or off depending if it gets hotter than 30 °C ( 86 °F )
  • Humidity - Humidity levels stay at 50%. I mist myself but mostly my Trixie Fogger Ultrasonic Mist Generator maintains the humidity at 50%. I use my Reptile Vivarium Professional Digital Day / Night Thermostat + Humidistat with Timer to measure the humidity, it also turn on the fogger if humidity goes below 50% and will turn the fogger off one the cage has reached 50%
  • Plants - I have two live plants in his cage, one Areca Palm (Dypsis lutescens) and one Zebra Plant (Calathea sp). Both from Global Geckos
  • Placement - The cage is in my bedroom on my desk, the height is around 125-130cm from my floor. It is not near any vents, windows or traffic.
  • Location - Bridgend, South Wales, United kindom

Current Problem - This month white has started to show on his head, I waited for him to shed to see if that was it even though it seemed unlikely. Anyway he shed yesterday and its still there. I will upload photos as it will be easier to see it rather than me try to describe it. I will also show a photo of him last month so you have a comparison.

This was him last month
16832876_1263917773697589_48822339_o.jpg
17500280_1295227637233269_2031593706_o.jpg

And this is him now, he is still shedding a little as you can see
17499817_1295228697233163_86554698_o.jpg
17474126_1295228923899807_35302460_o.jpg
17453268_1295228777233155_522607251_o.jpg
17453531_1295775783845121_74224857_o.jpg

Also this is his vivarium and supplement schedule
17475271_1295226300566736_1090128765_o.jpg
17475396_1295807293841970_1621847179_o.png

I don't believe you have a problem at all. That coloration is typical for a male Veiled to develop and it will keep changing as he matures. I would suggest getting a larger cage as he seems to have outgrown that cage and really needs more room now.

I don't believe you have a problem at all. That coloration is typical for a male Veiled to develop and it will keep changing as he matures. I would suggest getting a larger cage as he seems to have outgrown that cage and really needs more room now.

Okay thanks, yeah I wasn't sure if it was a issue or just typical development but to be safe I wanted to ask. Ive been thinking of getting a larger cage recently, upgrading from a 50cm tall to a 90cm tall or possibly even a 120cm tall but read somewhere that usually its best to wait until they are atleast 6 months old. However if you suggest for me to get a larger cage I will seen as I have been thinking about it anyway.

I DO see alot of D3 on the schedule.....more than twice of the month.
Yeah he only needs d3 twice a month and multivit twice s month

Ive been following this guide and it quotes "Calcium with D3 should be provided 1 to 2 times per week for young chameleons (up to 6 months old) and reduced to once or twice per month for adults." So Ive giving him it once a week and when he reaches 6 months which will be in almost 2 months time I will reduce it to twice per month like multi vitamin.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/supplements.html

Thats where I got it from if your interested

Ive been following this guide and it quotes "Calcium with D3 should be provided 1 to 2 times per week for young chameleons (up to 6 months old) and reduced to once or twice per month for adults." So Ive giving him it once a week and when he reaches 6 months which will be in almost 2 months time I will reduce it to twice per month like multi vitamin.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/supplements.html

Thats where I got it from if your interested
And this is where I got it if u come to this forum to learn more
www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

And this is where I got it if u come to this forum to learn more
www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Thanks, Im always welcome to more information about chameleons and care tips.

I will continue with current schedule however as the one you sent me says pretty much the same thing in regards to supplemtation other than the guide I linked specifies on how much to supplement for chameleons under 6 months old aswell. Once my chameleon reaches 6 months old that is when I will switch to supplementing d3 once every two weeks. This guide has worked for me and I see no reason do switch it up.

Again though thanks for the link to the guide as I will read through it thoroughly as it seems to hold alot of information, some of which I might not already know

Thanks, Im always welcome to more information about chameleons and care tips.

I will continue with current schedule however as the one you sent me says pretty much the same thing in regards to supplemtation other than the guide I linked specifies on how much to supplement for chameleons under 6 months old aswell. Once my chameleon reaches 6 months old that is when I will switch to supplementing d3 once every two weeks. This guide has worked for me and I see no reason do switch it up.

Again though thanks for the link to the guide as I will read through it thoroughly as it seems to hold alot of information, some of which I might not already know
If it works for u then u already know if not then change it.

Back
Top Bottom