chameleons and turtles

sakune

i'm thinking of getting a chameleon but i can't have two cages in my house so i was going to get a nice turtle swamp to put at the bottom for the chameleon screened cage for my turtle, my question is will the chameleon get stressed from the sight of the turtle? also there is a tiger salamander that only likes being in water(weird)

Bad idea. If you've had a water turtle before you'll know that "swamp" was the perfect description! Water turtles make the biggest, smelliest mess, especially if the area they live in is small and doesn't have filtration. The water needs to be cleaned every 2 days or your house will smell like a swamp (trust me!). You will have a bacterial/fungal nightmare in less than a month. It will just create unsanitary conditions and any crickets you try to feed your cham will drown in any water in the cage. The drown in water that's not even as deep as they are tall. Aside from that, you will almost certainly not be able to meet the habitat and husbandry requirements of two species from entirely different habitats, ecozones, even continents. And yes, the chameleon will be very stressed by another animal being in its cage. It's a good idea in theory, but practically it is a very bad idea. Cohabitation is not recommended for many reasons. Best to pick one animal you like if you can only have one cage and try another species later. :)

i too have had water turtles before,i had 8 at one time and WOW smelly isnt the word to describe the swampy muskeg smell,i had mine living in a kids plastic swimming pool and i did have an awesome filter but it wasnt enough and i had to constantly change the water and scrub everything in the pool every second day,what alot of work they are,they are adorable but yuck!! lol i think a cham is the perfect pet,they are amazing and clean and wonderful to watch,no smell,no noise,(except for crix chirping all dam night lol)they certainly keep me fasinated...maybe that has to do with me having a small mind teehee,however, i love my chams..no more smelly turtles for me:)

i'm thinking of getting a chameleon but i can't have two cages in my house so i was going to get a nice turtle swamp to put at the bottom for the chameleon screened cage for my turtle, my question is will the chameleon get stressed from the sight of the turtle? also there is a tiger salamander that only likes being in water(weird)

Good for you for asking first! Yep, really bad idea and the cage would be a nightmare to keep clean even it if was possible.

not to mention the competition for food!! i remember the turtles i had as a kid being really voracious feeders. anything they could fit into their mouths is food. i would think the worm like tail of a cham coming down to feed or whatever would get bitten off!! no bueno

Not trying to be rude, but horrible idea. I have A turtle and 2 Chameleons, they would get too stressed out and how would one be able to survive? they would be overly stressed, in such conditions. I used to have 12 turtles at once.. now I only have one. BOO.

Can't have em together but maybe can create some kind of stand type setup with Cham cage above turtle (with full visual block, of course) where instead of draining from cham cage into a dump pan, it drains misting overflow water into the turtle tank?? Just a thought.

Can't have em together but maybe can create some kind of stand type setup with Cham cage above turtle (with full visual block, of course) where instead of draining from cham cage into a dump pan, it drains misting overflow water into the turtle tank?? Just a thought.

Seems like a bad idea turtles are pretty messy to begin with. You probably wouldn't want the "waste" water going into another habitat. Just mho

Yeah, that's true I suppose, never a good idea to mix.
I was just picturing the gross turtle water at work, lol, and how could I possibly make that swampy soup worse by diluting it slightly with R/O water that touched some leaves for a second. Haha. but I do see what you mean. It was just a spur of the moment idea, sorry.

I have been wondering this as well. I've been working with acrylics and so I thought that, perhaps I could make a, with of course a screen cage for my cham, and strips of acrylic below so that i could have 1 a plant, my ficus, and 2 a below reptisun 5.0/heat source for my turtles, which would be seperated by a dark and thick acrylic(or something) covering the light source and screen below it so that the heat/vitamins could hit them and the mists from above wont hit the lights below. it seems pretty complicated but my main question. is will they indeed be to stressed out? my thought, because my cham never leaves the top of his tree house basking area except for sleep is that he wont ever see them and so wont be disturbed by them down below a potted plant and some structures for below lighting and basking. as far as smell, i have 2 fluval u4 filters and know how to keep a clean tank as ive done it most of my life, im 40 now

Back
Top Bottom