Chameleons and noise

MarkWuh

Hey Folks,

I'm a total newbie here; still researching to see if this is the pet for me!

I am curious about noise... in both directions; Do chameleons cope with noise and are their environments noisy?

I'm thinking about placing the vivarium in the living room... but I have a potentially LOUD sound system on the TV and do enjoy the occasional high volume battle! Would that upset/disturb my potential movie watching pal?

Also, how much noise does a set-up produce? I guess it would mainly be a mister that makes noise as heaters and lights are pretty quiet! What about noisy food??

At the moment I'm thinking about a bio-active setup (I previously kept a marine tank so have a decent understanding of closed systems) with a panther chameleon... but as I mentioned I still researching so any hints/tips/links always appreciated!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, Welcome.
Hey Folks,

I'm a total newbie here; still researching to see if this is the pet for me!

I am curious about noise... in both directions; Do chameleons cope with noise and are their environments noisy?

I'm thinking about placing the vivarium in the living room... but I have a potentially LOUD sound system on the TV and do enjoy the occasional high volume battle! Would that upset/disturb my potential movie watching pal?
Yes, it could very likely stress him/her out. I'd try to find a more tranquil location with minimal traffic.

Also, how much noise does a set-up produce? I guess it would mainly be a mister that makes noise as heaters and lights are pretty quiet! What about noisy food??
A good mister (like a MistKing) shouldn't make much noise. The cause of noise is usually the tubing vibrating because it isn't secured properly. If I'm in the same room with the enclosure—and there is no other source of noise—I can here it. If there is any background noise, I can't.

I also can't here it with the television on at reasonable (not LOUD) volume.

At the moment I'm thinking about a bio-active setup (I previously kept a marine tank so have a decent understanding of closed systems) with a panther chameleon... but as I mentioned I still researching so any hints/tips/links always appreciated!
Aside from bioactive vs. standard, I recommend deciding early on:
  • Type of enclosure (screened vs. hybrid)
  • Size—as large as you can afford, but min. 24"x24"x48"H
    I like the size algorithm set out here.
Recommend you read/view & become familiar with:

Last edited:
Some chameleons communicate to some extent through vibrations...so maybe any vibrations produced by us affect them to some extent too?
Chameleon Mood Music! :love:
Using the gular pouch to generate sound/vibration makes sense to me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon
[chameleons] can detect sound frequencies in the range of 200–600 Hz.

https://www.quora.com/What-frequency-does-the-human-voice-have
The adult male voice has a frequency range of fundamental frequencies from 85Hz to 180Hz.

I guess that leaves out Barry White! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom