chameleons after prolapsed rectum surgery

purptat4

my female chameleon had a prolapsed rectum...i took her to the vet immediately. vet stitched her with 3 stitches across her bum hole. and said he wanted to see her back in a week. well she was doing fine , eating, drinking, until 2 days ago....she started to try to go potty and she couldnt cause her bottom was sewed shut after that she stopped eating and started acting like she didnt feel well...the this morning her eyes seemed a bit sunk in...i took her back to the vet and he took the stitches out and said she didnt feel well cause she was unable to release the stool while the stitches were in...the he gave her an antibiotic shot, told me to give her pedialyte and said to come back in a week....now shes just laying there under her basking light limp and lifeless with her eyes closed...which is totally not like her...is she going to die...my poor autumn

I hope your little girl will be ok. At least you did the right thing and took her to the vet. I have never experienced your problem and hope I never do but from reading on here I know it's serious. All my best for you and your girl. Jann

ty:) i think she just might be ok....she just took her first bm in a week and now shes trying to push out more and shes acually active....maybe the vet was right...maybe it was cause she didnt get to go potty cause of the stitches...lets pray for her...i love her so much my cam pics 012.jpg

I hope she doesn't prolapse again...I would try to make sure she gets lots of water and maybe soft insects for a while so they will be easier for her to poop out.

Poor little girl. I really hope she is soon back to full health it`s scary to think that could happen. Is it caused by anything in particular ?

Prolapses can be caused by a diet too high in chitin. It isn't digested well and tends to make feces harder. Dehydration adds to the problem. The cham strains and can damage the intestinal wall and the sphyncter muscles. When the sensitive tissue swells and gets expelled it can get dried out and infected very easily.

I can’t say for prolapse, but it other injuries or recovery it is common to have a few days to recover. Do keep a close eye, things do go wrong.

I would call this normal. If it persists more than a few days without improving, I would call your vet. Did vet give after care advice?

Edit. Just realized this is an old thread.

I would start a new one. This is from 2009

I’m experiencing the same issue I’m going to try pediolyte
You have a prolapsed rectum‽ ?

Kidding aside, I know that a warm (100°-105°F) bath can do wonders for a bearded dragon who doesn't give a ?. Usually splooshes right out.

Can—or does—the same thing work for a chameleon?

DecemberKiwi19, I hope everything comes out alright. (Pun incidental, but concern is sincere).

Warm water for us is very hot for chameleons. And they do not soak up water through their vent. Bathes arent really beneficial.

@DecemberKiwi19 does your chameleon have a prolapse? If it does you can use a sugar water solution to try to shrink it and then put some KY jelly on it to keep it moist until you can get it to the vets...but this is a medical emergency and you need to takes it to the vets ASAP....and keep it moist with the KY jelly in the meantime.

Warm water for us is very hot for chameleons. And they do not soak up water through their vent. Bathes arent really beneficial.
Neither do beardies (soak up water through their vent—or anywhere else). I wAasn't thinking in terms of hydration; I was thinking about relieving constipation. A warm bath at something less than basking temperature just has a mild laxative effect (on Pogonas). I was just asking if something similar were employed to relieve constipation in chameleons.

Google wasn't much help except for the following...

Constipation in Reptiles
While you are searching for the reason for the constipation, you must assist the reptile to defecate. Bathe him in warmish water in the bath tub. After letting him soak for 10-15 minutes, begin to gently massage his belly, stroking from sternum to vent, for 5-10 minutes, rewarming the water as needed. This will usually get them to poop within 24 hours. If the reptile doesn't defecate by then, get it to a reptile vet ASAP.
Acknowledging that some of these little guys can go for for quite some time without giving a ? even in the normal healthy course of activities... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can’t say for prolapse, but it other injuries or recovery it is common to have a few days to recover. Do keep a close eye, things do go wrong.

I would call this normal. If it persists more than a few days without improving, I would call your vet. Did vet give after care advice?

Edit. Just realized this is an old thread.

I would start a new one. This is from 2009
Thinking back no i was only told to call if it happens again. Thank you for your advice. It’s getting worse this week I don’t think he’s ate anything at all has no appetite or thirst I gave pediolyte last night he’s just laying on the bottom of the cage I worry that he’s fallen there. I put substrate down to cushion I pray that’s not the case going to call the vet this morning

Thinking back no i was only told to call if it happens again. Thank you for your advice. It’s getting worse this week I don’t think he’s ate anything at all has no appetite or thirst I gave pediolyte last night he’s just laying on the bottom of the cage I worry that he’s fallen there. I put substrate down to cushion I pray that’s not the case going to call the vet this morning
Please, do let us know what the vet says.

I am sorry I hope he pulls through. You may want to put him in a smaller temporary cage for now. Has there been any poop yet?

When is the last he has eaten? Normally I would consider force feeding, but if he can’t poop that would be bad.

Back
Top Bottom