Chameleon won't eat

My 9 month old make panther chameleon just started going on a food strike against his Dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae. The last time he most likely ate was Sunday. (I know this because I cup feed and I saw him eat). Nothing that I know of happened after that. He is still active and drinking, just not eating. So today I decided to mix it up for him and went to the store and got him hornworms and large crickets. He ate one large cricket and a small hornworm. I’m glad he ate something but this is still less than I would like. Is this common for them to go on “food strikes” or is it something I should be more concerned about?

As long as your husbandry is correct and there are not other factors to consider then it can be quite normal at this age.

My 9 month old make panther chameleon just started going on a food strike against his Dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae. The last time he most likely ate was Sunday. (I know this because I cup feed and I saw him eat). Nothing that I know of happened after that. He is still active and drinking, just not eating. So today I decided to mix it up for him and went to the store and got him hornworms and large crickets. He ate one large cricket and a small hornworm. I’m glad he ate something but this is still less than I would like. Is this common for them to go on “food strikes” or is it something I should be more concerned about?
How much and how often are you typically feeding?

Attachments

• 356C983A-842A-45D1-BA09-AA7A6231958C.jpeg
    356C983A-842A-45D1-BA09-AA7A6231958C.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 91
My almost 2 year old panther is currently on a 5 day food strike since I ran out of silkworms and hornworms. He refuses dubia's and is not a huge fan of crickets but they are his favorite non-worm staple aside from BSFL/BSF's. He would devour a superworm but I only like to offer them occasionally.

I think you're fine, he will give in eventually.

My vet won’t do a fecal unless we bring him in. And I don’t want to bring him in unless I absolutely need to.
Call around to other vets and see if they will run the fecal and then if the results come back with a parasite load have the results transferred to your vet to make the appointment to take him in.

To me it is stupid that they won't run a fecal. The whole point with chams is you want as little stress as possible. He does not need to be seen prior because they will have no clue just looking at him. :rolleyes:

Have you filled out the help form lately to review all of your husbandry?

Back
Top Bottom