Chameleon won't eat

BMAlcantra808

Sup guys I'm new to forum so don't bag on me this is on the wrong
The reason I posted this thread is because my male jackson chameleon hardly eats or never eats at all.
Can someone help me or tell me why he's not eating

How much is he actually eating? and how often?

As for your cage, since you are aware of it, thts good.

I suggest amazon or craft stores for cheap vines, sometimes the dollar store too.

schefellaras are also good plants as are pothos for filling up a cage.

he could also not be eating because he doesn't feel safe due to the lack of foliage.

I agree more foliage in his cage. I use a Schefflera plant in mine. How was his eating pattern compared to now? I know mine loves to hide BUT, when I hold out his food bowl with some yummy Dubia Roaches he flies to eat them right out of the bowl.

well that could be your problem. I would suggest getting some device (any at this point) to measure your temps. Without the proper temperature their diet can decrease or even worse, you could kill your cham. Good luck!

Along with knowing what the temps are (I would suggest hitting Home Depot and spending the $10 on this one for starters: http://www.homedepot.com/p/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Comfort-Monitor-00619HDCSA2/202260980#.UeSt2axwxjQ) AND the humidity - as Jacksons tend to need a little more humidity - what else are you trying to feed him other than crickets?? He may be on a hunger strike due to a lack of variety in his diet, so I would suggest some type of roaches (dubia are readily available in the classifieds here on the forums), possibly some type of flies (google blue bottle flies) and also different types of worms (superworms, wax worms, tomato horn worms, etc). Also - what type of supplements are you using and how much is your cham drinking - they can go for a few days with little to no food, but they need to stay well hydrated, so try giving him a nice warm misting and see what he does.
Keep us posted & keep working on your cage, you're on the right track by coming here & asking questions - and if anyone "bags" on you, you can remind them that at one point they were also a newbie and had lots of questions too - we are a community bonded by our love of these magnificent creatures and though there may be a few rough ones in the crowd most of us are here to share our knowledge. Good luck with your cham!!

Well I just bought supplies from lll reptiles and one those items was a thermometer so yeah
It should be here by the end of today or tommorow

And I think jackson is a little skiddish with me well he wild caught
But wouldn't he be happy that I bring him food but maybe you guys are right he doesn't like temps true of the cage
As for supplement I don't use any not yet anyway but as I said before I just supplies from lll reptiles
I have another question what it mean that his dodo is clear
And way does it mean he starts to spassim out what he does is that opens his mouth and begin shaking only for little while though

Hello, when he opens his mouth and shaes, hes Yawning. Mine does the same right before he goes to sleep

veiled chameleons won't eat

Hello, I have 2 veiled chameleons, one male and one female. I keep them in separate cages. About a week ago, they both stopped eating. The male is currently molting his skin. They both are really lethargic. Basking temp is about 87 degrees. He is sitting right under basking light most of the day. She has been spending a lot of time at bottom of cage. Up until a week ago, they were both great eaters. i feed them a variety of crickets and super worms. Please help. :confused::confused::confused:

Looking at your setup I do not see a UV light. Not bagging, but telling you that UVB from a UV bulb is very important to his health. Also, the UVA from the bulb stimulates natural behaviors especially eating. That could be contributing to his not eating. I would get that set up right away! In the mean time you can try taking him outside (supervised) for an hour or two a day to get UV rays from the sun.
I also agree that he needs more plants. You've come to the right place for help. Good luck!

Hello, I have 2 veiled chameleons, one male and one female. I keep them in separate cages. About a week ago, they both stopped eating. The male is currently molting his skin. They both are really lethargic. Basking temp is about 87 degrees. He is sitting right under basking light most of the day. She has been spending a lot of time at bottom of cage. Up until a week ago, they were both great eaters. i feed them a variety of crickets and super worms. Please help. :confused::confused::confused:

Please start a separate thread for your own situation and myself and others will be happy to offer advice where we can.

And I think jackson is a little skiddish with me well he wild caught
But wouldn't he be happy that I bring him food but maybe you guys are right he doesn't like temps true of the cage
As for supplement I don't use any not yet anyway but as I said before I just supplies from lll reptiles
I have another question what it mean that his dodo is clear
And way does it mean he starts to spassim out what he does is that opens his mouth and begin shaking only for little while though

He was most likely born in the wild, so no, he isn't going to be happy that you bring him food and keep him in a cage all day - much like lions, tigers, gorillas, etc in a zoo. Will they tolerate it, yes, but some do better than others in captivity and some do not survive very long at all.
Clear bowel movements don't sound healthy for any cham, there should be some greenish/brownish color, kind of like what a slug would look like, along with some white stuff too, that would be normal, but I am not a Vet nor an expert on Jacksons, especially not wild caught. There are plenty of insects on Oahu for you to catch & feed him so variety in his diet is only limited by you (he would select what he wanted/could catch if he was living free in the wild) and natural sunlight will do wonders for ANY chameleon so make sure he is getting outside every day if you are going to keep him.
Just my 2 cents, but this cham doesn't sound like he is doing that well and I would suggest returning him to wherever you found him even though you have put out $$ for supplies, sorry.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!!! He's eating again cause I put 20 crickets in the cage(yogurt container) and now there's only like 6 in there I checked under the news paper to make sure he was eating and no crickets under news paper so I'm guessing he eating unless the crickets simehow escaped whuch i doubt and I noticed that he only eats when im not paying attention to him and when I'm not in the room
I'm guessing he want because like one you guys said he didn't feel secure I put more branches in the cage so he can climb so that's +
As for his do do it looking better so that another +
I just bought supplies from lll reptiles they should by end of today or tommorow wellhere's the list

Living Plants and Tillandsias
Large Ficus Tree (live) 8" Pot
Reptile Misters, Drippers & Humidifiers
Zoo Med Repti Fogger Terrarium Humidifier
Exo Terra Monsoon Rainfall Misting System
Terrarium Plants, Vines & Terrarium Accents
Exo Terra Abutilon Silk Jungle Vines
Reptile Calcium & Vitamins
Rep Cal Calcium & Herptivite Combo Special
Light fixtures
Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp
Thermometers, Thermostats, and Timers
Flukers Digital Thermometer/Humidity Gauge

All I want thank you so much guys fa helping me I don't know how repay you guys so again THANK YOU SO MUCH

When finish setting up cage imma post a picture of it
on here And again THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FA HELPING ME.

OH YEAH does anyone know where I can find a store to buy water drainer fa my cage or does know how to make one

Back
Top Bottom