Chameleon with sunken eyes?

ayo4yeyo

Hi i noticed today my chameleon started getting black around his eyes.. does it look like he has URI? He eats a lot in the morning and drinks from the dripper and i mist him 2-3x a day, he also eats the wet leaves in his enclosure. He seems fine and I dont notice anything wrong with him except his eyes. Anyone know what it can be?

Attachments

• 570635EF-ED4F-4627-82C3-0DA7F96D18AD.jpeg
    570635EF-ED4F-4627-82C3-0DA7F96D18AD.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 5EC0063D-739C-493E-A2A1-546693A6D213.jpeg
    5EC0063D-739C-493E-A2A1-546693A6D213.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 124
His eyes do look sunken which means illness or dehydration. In the first picture is he in his enclosure or out of his enclosure?

Fill this out it will make it easier for people to help you and your cham out.
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

Hi i noticed today my chameleon started getting black around his eyes.. does it look like he has URI? He eats a lot in the morning and drinks from the dripper and i mist him 2-3x a day, he also eats the wet leaves in his enclosure. He seems fine and I dont notice anything wrong with him except his eyes. Anyone know what it can be?

Hi there. I’m no doctor or expert. I can only share what I’ve read/learned.
The sunken eyes can be a sign of dehydration. How are his poops and urates? The poops can range from very small to OMG how did that thing come out of there? Lol. The urates (not urine) come out I think like a thick pudding (best guess). Then they harden. The most healthy urates are mostly white with a little bit of yellow orange ish coloring. If they are orange or darker you need to take him to the vet ASAP.
The open mouth can be a way for him to regulate his body temp. It can also be a defensive act, trying to warn you to stay away. I noticed in the 2nd pic he also has his karate chop (lol) ready. That’s def a defensive move. The front arm is possibly in a strike position.
There’s so much info here.
There’s also a chameleon academy. You can google it.

Most important is to have you fill out the info below. The more details the better. And pics are wonderful!

Cheers!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Fill this out it will make it easier for people to help you and your cham out.
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

--------------

Please Note:

The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, I don't know the age, I got him from Petsmart on June 1, 2020.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Every day at night.
Feeding - I'm feeding him crickets/mealworms every morning. Crickets are fed cricket food.
Supplements - Repticalcium
Watering - I use a water bottle as a "dripper" and change the water every morning. I also spray his enclosure 3-5x a day. Yes I see him drinking.
Fecal Description - His poop is brown and all white sometimes, sometimes it's a little yellow.
History -

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Screen cage, 16x16x30, (it's the zoo med repti breeze starting kit)
Lighting - I use UVB and heat lamp, I turn both on from 6am - 6pm.
Temperature - I haven't measured the temp at night. His basking spot is 86.2F
Humidity - I don't keep track of humidity levels. I just spray his enclosure as stated earlier and also keep the plant soil wet.
Plants - I have fake plants hanging and a real plant on the bottom (golden pathos)
Placement - It's located in my room on my tv stand.
Location - Las Vegas, NV.

Attachments

• IMG_4955.jpg
    IMG_4955.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 119
Hi there. I’m no doctor or expert. I can only share what I’ve read/learned.
The sunken eyes can be a sign of dehydration. How are his poops and urates? The poops can range from very small to OMG how did that thing come out of there? Lol. The urates (not urine) come out I think like a thick pudding (best guess). Then they harden. The most healthy urates are mostly white with a little bit of yellow orange ish coloring. If they are orange or darker you need to take him to the vet ASAP.
The open mouth can be a way for him to regulate his body temp. It can also be a defensive act, trying to warn you to stay away. I noticed in the 2nd pic he also has his karate chop (lol) ready. That’s def a defensive move. The front arm is possibly in a strike position.
There’s so much info here.
There’s also a chameleon academy. You can google it.

Most important is to have you fill out the info below. The more details the better. And pics are wonderful!

Cheers!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Thanks for your feedback! I actually just replied to someone else with answers to the info questions if you want to check it out.

Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, I don't know the age, I got him from Petsmart on June 1, 2020.
Feeding - I'm feeding him crickets/mealworms every morning. Crickets are fed cricket food.
Watering - I use a water bottle as a "dripper" and change the water every morning. I also spray his enclosure 3-5x a day. Yes I see him drinking.
Fecal Description - His poop is brown and all white sometimes, sometimes it's a little yellow.
History -

Cage Info:

Humidity - I don't keep track of humidity levels. I just spray his enclosure as stated earlier and also keep the plant soil wet.
Plants - I have fake plants hanging and a real plant on the bottom (golden pathos)
Hi there. Can you be a bit more specific on the details... We need to know what kind of food your feeding the crickets. How many feeders how often your using the supplements and exactly what type with D3 or without. how long you spray for. how you are measuring the temps... Also please post pics of the entire enclosure lighting down.

Usually when they come from Petsmart they are stressed and ill. Petsmart dosent know the correct info on chameleon.
This can be stressful for him. They’re not social animals. Maybe handle less frequently.
Crickets are an okay stable. There is better out there. For Gutloading you should you use safe fruits and vegetables. I will attach a picture of safe gutloading foods.
You should have Calium without D3 everyday, and then alternate between a multivitamin and calcium with D3 every week on one day.
Good, If you have the money a you should get a misting system. They work great and act as rain.
If it’s orange or yellow usually means dehydrated. It’s okay for it to be yellow one day but if it is for a few days that means severe dehydration.
History -

Cage Info:

You’re going to need a bigger cage for him soon. A 2x2x4.
What type of UVB and what wattage of heat lamp? You’re going to need a T5 5.0 or 6% linear bulb. Compact UVB dosent give the right UVB exposure.

You should get a hygrometer to measure humidity. It should be around 25-45% and during the night you want a spike to 90-100%
Good. Live plants are always better. Veileds like to chomp one there plants so be careful with fake plants

Attachments

• E723B032-D195-4670-BF00-CFF45824B0D0.png
    E723B032-D195-4670-BF00-CFF45824B0D0.png
    599.2 KB · Views: 79
Usually when they come from Petsmart they are stressed and ill. Petsmart dosent know the correct info on chameleon.
This can be stressful for him. They’re not social animals. Maybe handle less frequently.
Crickets are an okay stable. There is better out there. For Gutloading you should you use safe fruits and vegetables. I will attach a picture of safe gutloading foods.
You should have Calium without D3 everyday, and then alternate between a multivitamin and calcium with D3 every week on one day.
Good, If you have the money a you should get a misting system. They work great and act as rain.
If it’s orange or yellow usually means dehydrated. It’s okay for it to be yellow one day but if it is for a few days that means severe dehydration.
History -

Cage Info:

You’re going to need a bigger cage for him soon. A 2x2x4.
What type of UVB and what wattage of heat lamp? You’re going to need a T5 5.0 or 6% linear bulb. Compact UVB dosent give the right UVB exposure.

You should get a hygrometer to measure humidity. It should be around 25-45% and during the night you want a spike to 90-100%
Good. Live plants are always better. Veileds like to chomp one there plants so be careful with fake plants

Thank you so much!

He looks seriously scared. Is that from direct spraying 5 times a day? Please, try not to scare when spraying. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom