Chameleon with mouth rot or bug stick between teeth?

Hi all,

I have a male panther chameleon who is about 7 months old. He is eating super well and is very active. Yesterday I noticed alight brown thing in between his lips and did some research into mouth rot. Today I took a Q-tip and tried to clean it off or get it out and a small piece of it broke off. I am hoping someone can help me determine if I need to take him to a vet or if it’s simply a bugs exo-skeleton that is caught in his mouth (it has happened to him before with a crickets antennae).

*as a note he was eating a super worm while I took this picture

He is currently in a mesh enclosure that is 28x28x50”

His basking temp is between 87-90 F

relative humidity stays between 40%-85%

currently he eats a mixed diet of BSFL, crickets, and occasional super worms. Keeping him on a well balanced vitamin schedule as well.

let me know if you require any further info, thanks!

Attachments

• 6C52BD8F-3E98-42EB-9F1A-3BD6D17895EA.jpeg
    6C52BD8F-3E98-42EB-9F1A-3BD6D17895EA.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 127
  • E3507375-F209-4ABB-880C-EFE09DC7E075.jpeg
    E3507375-F209-4ABB-880C-EFE09DC7E075.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 142
  • D10F3820-F592-4750-BAC6-A5E0A54AA688.jpeg
    D10F3820-F592-4750-BAC6-A5E0A54AA688.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 134
Looks to me like something stuck to his lip rather than disease.
If it bugs you (you can always just leave it to time & nature), another thing to try—carefully and gently—is a super soft (mushy) child's toothbrush with plain water.
He won't like it, and it will likely P him off for a bit (he'll get over it). If it doesn't work with a couple of strokes, leave it. Applying warm water with the Q-tip may help soften it over time.

I used this method on my beardie (same thing—stuck food). Took a few tries with intermittent softening. He's forgiven me. :)

OTOH, if it comes back or worsens, I'd get him to a herp vet.

Looks to me like something stuck to his lip rather than disease.
If it bugs you (you can always just leave it to time & nature), another thing to try—carefully and gently—is a super soft (mushy) child's toothbrush with plain water.
He won't like it, and it will likely P him off for a bit (he'll get over it). If it doesn't work with a couple of strokes, leave it. Applying warm water with the Q-tip may help soften it over time.

I used this method on my beardie (same thing—stuck food). Took a few tries with intermittent softening. He's forgiven me. :)

OTOH, if it comes back or worsens, I'd get him to a herp vet.
Thanks! I was hopeful it was just a bug, so this is good news!

Personally I would take him to the vet... If it is an abscess and your sitting there rubbing on it your going to cause more irritation. If it is the start of mouth rot you want to get it treated ASAP not wait.

Why was his mouth open? Is this something he does often?

Personally I would take him to the vet... If it is an abscess and your sitting there rubbing on it your going to cause more irritation. If it is the start of mouth rot you want to get it treated ASAP not wait.

Why was his mouth open? Is this something he does often?
His mouth is open because he was eating at the time. I will keep a close eye on him over the next couple days. Although right now he is not demonstrating any symptoms of mouth rot or of any kind of mouth infection.

Back
Top Bottom