Chameleon with bad thermal burns... questions

KittyB

Hey folks.

So brief run down, Male Veiled named Sputnik who has lived with me since Dec 13 and he was estimated to be about 5 months old at the time.
Housing is the standard chameleon starter kit with the addition of a Ficus repotted in organic soil and leaves washed in soap and water. (watched the vid tutorials)

This chameleon went off crickets some time ago and was only accepting meal worms and had a penchant for bananas and the odd fruit. The staple of his diet was dusted worms. He has a thing for Strawberries and got those as treats once a week.

He grew a lot and always seems to be in a state of shed somewhere. And always always wanted food.. He knew the container that housed his worms and would climb down and sit on the ground near them (he could see them until I decided to move them because that's literally all he cared about lol)

The basking bulb that came with his kit burned out 4 weeks after I got him and the employee at petsmart I usually deal with gave me a 75 watt "intense basking spot" Exo Terra bulb free of charge in replacement telling me that this would be much better for my cham.

Being a novice (albeit a very grown adult responsible pet owner) I didn't question this.. over time I noticed my chameleons back was turning blackish..

Long story short, it got bad.. eyes closed, wasn't eating or drinking had to do showers for hydration..

I live in Toronto and we have 3 reptile vets in this city, I took him into one of the better ones and had a full blood work panel done, Vitamin B12 injections and Vitamin A injections and sub Q injections, he looked like a new little dude when we left the vets as he had been refusing food for about a week prior to the visit, being a cancer survivor and having had radiation burns as a result I still had Fucidin on hand and had already been using it on the black area on his spine (the vet agreed she would have prescribed similar and to continue this and commended me) his eyes however really concern me.. he kept rubbing his head on his enclosure and you could tell he was uncomfortable and they legit looked scarred and damaged.

Fast forward.. he's getting an eye wash 2x daily, hydrating eye gel 2x daily.. he's currently being syringe fed Emerald (he loves loves loves that) and drinking water from a syringe. He's also on Tramadol for his pain.

His bloodwork came back great! all of his organs are ok and so are his calcium levels but he has inflammation markers and elevated white blood cells.. he is now on Antibiotics every day that I inject into him, I suspected he may have had an upper respiratory by the way kept holding his head up at an angle and not sleeping in his usual spots, but we also wondered if it was a systemic infection from the burns. Today is day 3 of antibiotics and he was much more active and climbing around his cage and sleeping in his plants. However he will only barely peek open his eyes.. and prefers one over the other.

Money is not an issue here.. ha ha I'm already 700.00 deep in his vet care alone.

My question is this.
I now have a blue 100watt "basking bulb" but he seems to hide from it. I also have a ceramic heating element and a 13 watt fluorescent bulb.

What should I be doing for his lighting given the condition of his skin?

I'm generally following my vets advice at this point and yes I will be going after pet smart as I have it in writing that it was the wrong bulb.

He weighed 83 grams at his vet visit and He's 6 inches long not including his tail. He's more than tripled his size since I got him.

Last edited:
Can you post a couple of recent photos of him please?

For a basking light I use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that produces the right temperature in the basking area. Always put your hand on the closest spot to the bulb inside the cage as a test...if you have to move your hand then the bulb is too close to him and will burn him.

BTW I hope your cancer is gone for good!

For a basking light I use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that produces the right temperature in the basking area. Always put your hand on the closest spot to the bulb inside the cage as a test...if you have to move your hand then the bulb is too close to him and will burn him.

Hey so the bulbs are elevated at least a foot above the top of his enclosure and I worry they are not giving him enough but also due to his delicate skin I want his eyes to come back and they need extra care right now.. so do you think a 40 watt incandescent would be suitable? or should I just continue to use his ceramic heat element with his flourescent bulb during daytime hours. If he's getting a direct heat source from a ceramic element and the fluorescent bulb does he need a "basking bulb" (for say the next week)

Chameleons recognize light as a source of heat. Does the ceramic heater give off light?

BTW they don't need heat at night unless the temperatures drop down lower than 60. There should be no lights on at night either.

As for the wattage...does a 40 watt make the basking temperature in the mid 80's?

Chameleons recognize light as a source of heat. Does the ceramic heater give off light?

BTW they don't need heat at night unless the temperatures drop down lower than 60. There should be no lights on at night either.

As for the wattage...does a 40 watt make the basking temperature in the mid 80's?

I have taken to using the ceramic heating element at night (it uses a normal light socket but does not throw light just warmth) because he's in a room with drafts and sometimes the ambient temp in this room is between 68-71 also considering he is currently recovering from illness do normal rules apply? I've always done a lights on at 9 am lights off at 9pm routine with him, there are no "light's aside from the lights in the room around him (table lamp)

Attachments

• 6F2CA64F-4071-46E3-8DEC-2B6BAE52392A.jpeg
    6F2CA64F-4071-46E3-8DEC-2B6BAE52392A.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 990C6491-8C30-4D07-B600-6707CC6A9AFC.jpeg
    990C6491-8C30-4D07-B600-6707CC6A9AFC.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 187
This is his daily antibiotic and let me tell you having to learn blind how to inject something as small as a Chameleon due to this COVID situation and my vet only allowing the animal inside (and not the owner) has been the most stressful thing since my kids were newborns lol

Attachments

• CA46C987-1274-4499-836A-84CA4C89B7C3.jpeg
    CA46C987-1274-4499-836A-84CA4C89B7C3.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

I posted you a few pics.. one from Friday and one from Tonight.

Hi @KittyB
Just curious if you’ve had your husbandry checked. Is never a bad thing to just make sure all is correct. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi @KittyB
Just curious if you’ve had your husbandry checked. Is never a bad thing to just make sure all is correct. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hello thanks for you inquiry, my vet has said I am doing a wonderful job with husbandry. :)

I would remove that immediately, they have been known to be too powerful.
I had babies actually get thermal burns from the compact UV bulbs along with eye issues. You should invest in a linear UV bulb.

I would remove that immediately, they have been known to be too powerful.
I had babies actually get thermal burns from the compact UV bulbs along with eye issues. You should invest in a linear UV bulb.

So to confirm and be sure, you feel that a 13 watt thrive branded tropical reptile bulb will burn the chameleon (this bulb is used by one other person I know with a Jackson, and was also cleared by a reptile caretaker at Menagerie in Toronto.

Is it a coiled bulb? Yes, I would at least turn it off for a few days and see if he will open his eyes. If it is too strong it can cause blindness along with burns.

So to confirm and be sure, you feel that a 13 watt thrive branded tropical reptile bulb will burn the chameleon (this bulb is used by one other person I know with a Jackson, and was also cleared by a reptile caretaker at Menagerie in Toronto.
Actually, the problem with the coil uvb bulbs is that they don’t provide adequate enough uvb levels. Your cham would need to be about 3” away from it in order to obtain a decent level. This is why the linear T5HO fixture with a 5% uvb bulb is strongly recommended. It allows your cham to be further away while still getting adequate uvb levels.

Actually, the problem with the coil uvb bulbs is that they don’t provide adequate enough uvb levels. Your cham would need to be about 3” away from it in order to obtain a decent level. This is why the linear T5HO fixture with a 5% uvb bulb is strongly recommended. It allows your cham to be further away while still getting adequate uvb levels.

The bulb is a foot above his enclosure.
So you are suggesting I remove all lights from his cage and just allow him his ceramic heat element?

Are you a vet?

Back
Top Bottom