Chameleon Upside Down... Is He Ok?

Shoeless Joe

IMG_0012.JPG

First fill out this for to let us have an insught on your husbandry and what you could be doing wrong.

Fill this out :)
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson Chameleon, male, around 1 year. Had for 6 months.
  • Handling - Once a week or so.
  • Feeding - Crickets. Two- three a day. Eats in the morning and sometimes afternoon? Feeding the crickets Fluker's veggies.
  • Supplements - Twice a month I feed him D3 with the crickets. The brand is
  • Watering - I spray him with warm water and he has a fountain that I clean once a week. I mist twice every day, one at morning and one at night. I do see my chameleon drink water all the time.
  • Fecal Description - Brown and white with a little water in them. I do not think that the chameleon was tested, but shop he came from said he was clean.
  • History - Was starting to eat less before, but picked it up again.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen. 18 x 36
  • Lighting - Zoo med, UVA/ UVB light as well as a heat light. Lights on at 8 am and lights off at 9 pm.
  • Temperature - 75-90 degrees. 70 degrees. With thermometer.
  • Humidity - Tropical. Live in Hawaii, already extremely humid. Also have a humidity gage.
  • Plants - No live plants.
  • Placement - On a table in my room? Not near fans or high air waves. Around 5 feet or so from the floor.
  • Location - Hawaii.

Current Problem - Chameleon is currently upside down.

Well, he's not lethargic. Very lively... definitely did not like when I wiped his butt. There is nothing in his vent. It's just this brown stuff around it.

Does he get any natural sun light? and do you dust his crickets 3-4 times a week with (calcium without D3)?? You should use fresh vegetables for feeding you crickets theres a lot you can find on gutloading crickets on here!

No, I don't feel him just calcium, I thought it was only calcium with D3. He does get natural sun light though and I know I really need to feed the crikets natural food, but it does get really messy... How often do you clean the crikets cage?

He can overdose on calcium d3 Jackson Chameleons tend to need less supplements. Usually a phosphorus free calcium dusted on crickets 3-4 times weekly, a phosphorus free calcium with D3 is usually a little less then 2 times a month. the D3 allows the calcium to be absorbed into his bones along with the help of a uvb bulb reptiles that get all day sunlight that’s outside don’t need the D3 supplement because the sun allows them to produce D3 naturally so the amount of D3 needed depends on how much sunlight he might actually get being indoors

Sometimes they will pause in weird positions if something is disrupting their little paradise, i.e. an odd noise or vibration. Especially if you were in the room dealing with him because when they get stuck out in the open like that, they know they can't run so they just sit there like, "I'm not moving so that means you can't see me." :p
It's good that you cleaned his booty! Even if he didn't like it ;)
Keep us updated on any further issues you may have with him. And be ready for a vet visit if needed.

Back
Top Bottom