Chameleon unwell....advice?

I know for humans magnesium works well but not sure for chams. I have not had experience with this issue. Maybe someone can confirm... :confused:
The doc gave me a laxative...is a tiny dose twice a day for 3 days... they say that’s why she isn’t moving much because she’s pretty full though not impacted. That coupled with her chamy pneumonia is making her very unhappy.
I think she’ll feel at least a bit better if she poops and can empty some.

The wait game sucks... she looks the same, still hasn’t pooped, I have gotten her meds in her...
I’d hoped to see more perky. She’s not even wanting her food today... so I’ll be making soup with it again.
I’d hoped the laxative stuff he gave me would have worked by now but... dang...
I feel so helpless ☹️
Pretty worried...

The wait game sucks... she looks the same, still hasn’t pooped, I have gotten her meds in her...
I’d hoped to see more perky. She’s not even wanting her food today... so I’ll be making soup with it again.
I feel so helpless ☹️
Pretty worried...
Oh, I'm so sorry! I don't have any advice, Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you guys and hope she poops and starts to feel better really soon, poor girl. Hang in there.

I feel so helpless ☹
Pretty worried...
She will get better in no time
You’re awesome

Oh, I'm so sorry! I don't have any advice, Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you guys and hope she poops and starts to feel better really soon, poor girl. Hang in there.
Thank you, it’s amazing how they touch you...I cried at the vets when they took her for x rays...lol her bones look great but you could see she was pretty full.
Her lungs had fluid of course with the RI and they said she was pretty sick. I’m showering her twice a day with warmish water, just enough for some steam and use a spray bottle hoping to entice her to drink...but I’m back to syringing her.
I get up twice a night in my 5 hrs of sleep before I get up for work to check her and her conditions...
I’m just... worried...
But thank you... I appreciate any thoughts and good vibes we can get.

Oh, so happy you were able to take her in this morning! And glad you have a plan, I hope she gets better real fast.
Thank you, it’s amazing how they touch you...I cried at the vets when they took her for x rays...lol her bones look great but you could see she was pretty full.
Her lungs had fluid of course with the RI and they said she was pretty sick. I’m showering her twice a day with warmish water, just enough for some steam and use a spray bottle hoping to entice her to drink...but I’m back to syringing her.
I get up twice a night in my 5 hrs of sleep before I get up for work to check her and her conditions...
I’m just... worried...
But thank you... I appreciate any thoughts and good vibes we can get.

It may take a couple days before the meds work. Just keep her warm and that will help her fight the RI plus she will be more apt to want to drink.

It may take a couple days before the meds work. Just keep her warm and that will help her fight the RI plus she will be more apt to want to drink.
Yeah I just called the vet back, they think maybe she’s getting worse and told me all I can do is just what I’ve been doing... the laxative can take 48 hours to work...
Sooo... I’ll keep fighting if she does...
Thank you...

I'd cut out the warm showers, especially if she already has a RI; keep it to room temp. Meds can make an already bad situation worse, sometimes, before they get better. Good luck, and keep us posted!

The doc gave me a laxative...is a tiny dose twice a day for 3 days... they say that’s why she isn’t moving much because she’s pretty full though not impacted. That coupled with her chamy pneumonia is making her very unhappy.
I think she’ll feel at least a bit better if she poops and can empty some.
I would feel better too! Lol :)

She’s gotten wise to the syringe... we now have to carefully pry her mouth open to get the syringe in.
Even though I think I get back far enough, she still pushes a little out the side of her mouth.
So I’m a little worried she isn’t getting all the med.

I put her on a heating pad for short stints as a way to help her want to go.... plus she seems more comfortable on it. (Yes it’s all plushy covered with soft coziness so she can’t get burned )
I also support her in a warm water bath twice a day to help her relax. And to softly exercise her back legs a little since she’s not using them due to the constipation.

It’s been 5 days now since a poo... on the x Ray you could see she was pretty backed up. Can she even move this now?
I saw someone in a thread mention mineral oil? Or cod liver oil?
Does anyone have thoughts on this? Have you tried it? Did it work?
Today’s the last day of the laxative by the vet. She doesn’t go back til Monday morning.

Thanks guys, you’ve no idea how much getting to talk here has helped. No one I know even has a lizard let alone a chameleon so ppl think I’m nuts for being emotional.

More later I’m sure.
D-

She’s gotten wise to the syringe... we now have to carefully pry her mouth open to get the syringe in.
Even though I think I get back far enough, she still pushes a little out the side of her mouth.
So I’m a little worried she isn’t getting all the med.

I put her on a heating pad for short stints as a way to help her want to go.... plus she seems more comfortable on it. (Yes it’s all plushy covered with soft coziness so she can’t get burned )
I also support her in a warm water bath twice a day to help her relax. And to softly exercise her back legs a little since she’s not using them due to the constipation.

It’s been 5 days now since a poo... on the x Ray you could see she was pretty backed up. Can she even move this now?
I saw someone in a thread mention mineral oil? Or cod liver oil?
Does anyone have thoughts on this? Have you tried it? Did it work?
Today’s the last day of the laxative by the vet. She doesn’t go back til Monday morning.

Thanks guys, you’ve no idea how much getting to talk here has helped. No one I know even has a lizard let alone a chameleon so ppl think I’m nuts for being emotional.

More later I’m sure.
D-
It’s clear you are doing everything you can. It’s hard not to be emotional when you invest so much time into a pet like this. Many keepers on the forum (myself included) can relate to the struggle and emotional toll it takes. Sounds silly but it’s all I can offer at the moment, but I’ll send up some prayers for her. :)

Ok, so she finally passed a bunch of white poo stuff... but now her colors gone black, her body is limp and she is hardly breathing...she is breathing but... idk what to do....
Her eyes are shut , she is limp, her mouth is open slightly...but her sides move...

I just did a short warm soak in a bowl... set her in her warm spot on her towel in her cage and went back about 5 mins later and her color was black...

I’m thinking this is the end...
Praying for a miracle...

Prayers much appreciated....

Ok, so she finally passed a bunch of white poo stuff... but now her colors gone black, her body is limp and she is hardly breathing...she is breathing but... idk what to do....
Her eyes are shut , she is limp, her mouth is open slightly...but her sides move...

I just did a short warm soak in a bowl... set her in her warm spot on her towel in her cage and went back about 5 mins later and her color was black...

I’m thinking this is the end...
Praying for a miracle...

Prayers much appreciated....
I'm so sorry. It might be that finally passing that took a lot of energy from her. We will hope she makes it through it.

You could have used a kinder tone. This chameleon owner is reaching out for our support. Lets do that, in a sensitive informative way! :)

QUOTE="cyberlocc, post: 1497252, member: 29523"]
Every single thing is wrong.

Cage is too small.
Humidity is too way too high.
Basking temp is too high.
Fogging during the day is bad.
That waterfall needs to go, it serves no purpose.
You need live plants.
Cage should not be by a window, if it's getting hot.
She shouldn't be fed meanworms.
She dang sure should not be fed chicken....
Dusting Vitamins should be Bi weekly, not Weekly.
Calcium should be every feeding not Weekly.

We need to see your lighting, and you need to go to the Vet. Also your chunk is bigger than that, every I just said needs change now, and likely more than that.

We need pictures.

This is a mess.

From you are describing, I am picturing a stressed to the Max Cham, with an RI, probably MBD, that is knocking on deaths door. I will be surprised if this thread has a happy ending harsh reality. Everything you have done is wrong, not trying to be mean, but brashness is sometimes needed especially when it's reality.
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom