Chameleon Sunken eyes, constantly sleeping and hardly moving

xomandyro

Hi guys,
A family I nanny for has a chameleon, & she seems like she is in her last days. The family says they are unable to afford a reptile vet because of the price and hardships right now. Her eyes appear very sunken, and she will not eat when I try to feed her. I am not very knowledgeable on chameleons, she has a common medium sized mesh/wired cage, a dual lightbulb light system and an auto watering mister. For some reason the website will not allow me to upload pictures of her.. I was going to take a trip to the pet store tonight to buy things for her.. although I am not sure if it is too late. Is there anyone that can help with some suggestions?

Hi guys,
A family I nanny for has a chameleon, & she seems like she is in her last days. The family says they are unable to afford a reptile vet because of the price and hardships right now. Her eyes appear very sunken, and she will not eat when I try to feed her. I am not very knowledgeable on chameleons, she has a common medium sized mesh/wired cage, a dual lightbulb light system and an auto watering mister. For some reason the website will not allow me to upload pictures of her.. I was going to take a trip to the pet store tonight to buy things for her.. although I am not sure if it is too late. Is there anyone that can help with some suggestions?
The most important thing right now is her health. You can apply for care credit it helps with vet bills since money is the isssue here. She sounds like she is not well so even making corrections might not do anything for her anymore. She needs an experienced chameleon vet ASAP look into that care credit here life is on the line right now. Also you can attach photos by clicking attach files. https://www.carecredit.com/apply/
Fill this out if you can please so we can see what you need but a vet is the most important thing right now :( (I don’t really know what can be wrong I don’t have much to go off on I just know she isn’t well) Also females lay eggs even with no contact with any male. They need laying bins and depending on the age she may be egg bound as well

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• 8AF01D0C-0C74-46B4-AE65-A970EA820C04.jpeg
    8AF01D0C-0C74-46B4-AE65-A970EA820C04.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
A common mistake people make is using the chameleon kit. If they used the lighting system in that kit, they are most likely using the wrong lighting.

If you're able to fill out the form to the best of your knowledge. I totally understand with the times right now, money can cause a hardship. If the cham seems on their last days, it's most likely too late for husbandry changes and unfortunately they would need a vet. We can definitely help w pointing out the mistakes that caused the issues tho.

Back
Top Bottom