Chameleon Stress

Oh yes i do not have to cover .all 3 sides and they get plenty of water from their sprinker stem. I have never had to cover their sides and i don't think i will.Thank you Robin

Well i don"t think experience is all ways the best way to go

Saying this and then making an argument that your EXPERIENCE is the right way to go? Uhm, is this actually someone pulling our leg?

If not, then please try to realize that when you utilize the "dumb luck" method of success, and knowing that it's never safe or wise to rely on luck we must remove it from the equation, we are left with only one result.

Dumb luck minus the luck, just makes you look...well, I think you get the picture.

Thank YOU, Robin.

Well i don"t think experience is all ways the best way to go,your chameleon has to live in a glass cage under a light at all times or he will g oto cold,my chameleon lives in my sunroom in a wire cage and can go all over his cage and he lives buy a sunroon window where he can get sun at any time of the day . I put a plant light above him and he loves it and if you open his door he will come out of the cage on his on. I have had 3 panther chameleon for 8 years years so i must be doing something right, thank you Robin

In the glass cage the chameleon doesn't sit under the light all the time in a cold climate...it does sit under the light in a screen cage in a cold climate. Hope that's clearer.
You said "he lives buy a sunroon window where he can get sun at any time of the day"....if the sunroom is glass not screen Robin, then the light passing through the glass will do your chameleon no good. How does your chameleon get UVB?

I really hope you don't think i'm that i'm that stuped not to give him his needs but im not going to explain to you about uvb do you really not think after 4 year old chameleon does not uvb he goes any where in his cage and out side of his cage when i am watching him to climb on to a 7 ft. ficas when i am watching him. You could say he is a little spoiled.Don't worry he has all his lights plus his plant light that he loves. Thank you Robin

I beleave you should let them live the way they live in the jungles close to the way they are suppose to live. There is so much more of the feel of plants and air and so much more . I am not going to go in to detail but you can not tell me living in a closed in area is better than open,i have a2yr. old and just got my second one today and they have pretty homes of there on to live in and it is not an aquarium with glass that is for fish.Thank you so much.

I think it can be misleading and potentially even harmful to discuss things in such binary, black and white terms - glass vs. screen, 6% vs. 12% UVB tubes, fogger or no fogger. It's more helpful to talk about appropriate ventilation, appropriate UVB levels / UVI, appropriate humidity.

Glass in and of itself isn't the problem, lack of appropriate ventilation in certain glass enclosures is the problem. If the ventilation issue is addressed, as is the case with Exo Terra and other similarly designed glass enclosures, then glass can be a much better option than screen cages due to the other benefits they provide.

PablotheCham said..." when a chameleon gets darker, it is to absorb more light. dark surfaces are hotter than light ones. so if you were to put you chameleon in the fridge (don't do that) They will get really dark in order to absorb more light and become hotter"...that's not the only reason they turn dark. Females turn dark like the one in Post #19, the bottom photo when they are gravid. They can also turn dark when stressed.

Oh yes i do not have to cover .all 3 sides and they get plenty of water from their sprinker stem. I have never had to cover their sides and i don't think i will.Thank you Robin

Just curious - who is Robin?

I don't think anyone is saying that chameleons won't do fine in a screen enclosure. I just don't agree with someone who says they won't do fine in a glass enclosure. As I said in my last post, it's not about screen vs. glass, it's about ventilation and humidity. Regardless of whether you are using screen, glass, plastic, metal, wood, cardboard, linoleum, paper, whatever - your chameleon will be fine as long as it is receiving the proper ventilation and humidity, period (given other factors not related to the type of enclosure are also adequate as well).

PablotheCham said..." when a chameleon gets darker, it is to absorb more light. dark surfaces are hotter than light ones. so if you were to put you chameleon in the fridge (don't do that) They will get really dark in order to absorb more light and become hotter"...that's not the only reason they turn dark. Females turn dark like the one in Post #19, the bottom photo when they are gravid. They can also turn dark when stressed.
I mentioned that females turn dark when breeding.
female chams that are breeding turn really dark black with spots on them.

Back
Top Bottom