Chameleon sleeping during day

Hey guys, I just purchased my first ambilobe!!! I brought him home and put them in his enclosure. He seems to be sleeping a lot. I know this isn’t a good sign. Additionally, his left eye stayed closed most of the trip home (about 2 hours). He seems very scared and anxious when he is awake, so I think it might be stress. Has anyone else run into this problem after purchasing a Chamaeleon? I’ve been trying to spray his enclosure with water when he is awake, but he runs around erratically and hides in a corner then falls asleep. He looks and seems healthy. What could the issue be? When will he start drinking water? I don’t want him to get dehydrated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 72
Congrats on the new cham. You are right to be concerned... sleeping during the day is not a good thing. Unfortunately, this is probably the result of how is was being kept prior to you bringing him home. Make sure you are not spraying him directly.

Can you please answer these questions in as much detail as possible? It'll help make sure that at least his new home is set up right.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Where did you get him? It sounds like and looks like he is experiencing severe stress. You clearly haven't had him long enough for it to be a husbandry issue. Did you get him from a breeder or a pet store like Petco? Honestly, I think the best you can do is just give him space and let him adjust. It might take a couple of weeks. Mist him and leave a little food in his feeder and do your best to NOT interact with him until he settles in. I hope that helps and congrats on the new beauty.

Thank you for your input. Ill make sure to leave him be for the next two weeks. I get the vibe that he's just very scared. He was raised by a breeder who has been in the hobby for 12 years and raised panthers from various locales. I'm waiting on the age, generation, and nutrition info from the breeder. I sent him a message a couple hours ago.

Back
Top Bottom