Chameleon skin regrow issue

honsing

Hi all, my 3yrs old male veiled chameleon Fernando had a lump unfortunately 3 weeks ago. The doctor help him to remove it and gave us silverderma for daily care.

47D99027-DB39-494D-A0A9-50A833A717EA.jpeg

After that don’t know why his left arm has some skins like shedding and we went to the vet again, the vet help to remove it said it’s a general shedding. The skin looks so thin and in white.

4212A959-9646-4B8E-8327-34416CBF01D1.jpeg

For more than a week and the skin still not recovered, it just like without the outer skin. I tried Aloe Vera gel but for couple of days it doesn’t changed much. Should I still use silverderma or aloe gel is a correct choice?

81FDF317-BD68-4F88-9D7D-8B5CA2C2431D.jpeg

What should I do? Thank you for all your advices.

Hi all, my 3yrs old male veiled chameleon Fernando had a lump unfortunately 3 weeks ago. The doctor help him to remove it and gave us silverderma for daily care.

View attachment 330180

After that don’t know why his left arm has some skins like shedding and we went to the vet again, the vet help to remove it said it’s a general shedding. The skin looks so thin and in white.

View attachment 330181

For more than a week and the skin still not recovered, it just like without the outer skin. I tried Aloe Vera gel but for couple of days it doesn’t changed much. Should I still use silverderma or aloe gel is a correct choice?

View attachment 330182

What should I do? Thank you for all your advices.

It’s really hard to tell… But in that last photo the skin looks raw and possibly infected on the left side where it is on his arm. It could be the lighting, hard to tell… If you can get a better picture.

I’d keep putting the silver sulf on it and get him in to the vet or another vet if this one doesnt satisfy your questions. Did they give him oral or injectable antibiotics at any point?

It’s really hard to tell… But in that last photo the skin looks raw and possibly infected on the left side where it is on his arm. It could be the lighting, hard to tell… If you can get a better picture.

I’d keep putting the silver sulf on it and get him in to the vet or another vet if this one doesnt satisfy your questions. Did they give him oral or injectable antibiotics at any point?
Thank you, there is no antibiotic given yet. Is infection the main reason causing slow recovery? Normally how long does it take to recover?

Thank you, there is no antibiotic given yet. Is infection the main reason causing slow recovery? Normally how long does it take to recover?

Possibly, but the infection… If it is one… Can cause a lot of other serious issues. It could also develop fungal issues. The last photo where his skin looks really raw is concerning.

If it were me, I’d take him to a different vet. Im surprised they didnt prescribe antibiotics. But at the very least it needs to be seen by an exotic vet, even if it’s the same vet. This looks more serious and the vet may realize it’s beyond normal shedding.

Chameleons are slow to heal sometimes.
I'd use the silverederm I think. It should work better on a wider range of bacteria, fungal growths, etc than I think aloe will work on.

Was the shed dry and built up there and the vet just pulled it off?

Chameleons are slow to heal sometimes.
I'd use the silverederm I think. It should work better on a wider range of bacteria, fungal growths, etc than I think aloe will work on.

Was the shed dry and built up there and the vet just pulled it off?
Thanks kinyonga, the shed doesn’t look dry. It’s soft, and every morning when I clean his wound by saline there are some can be rub out. This is the latest picture taken from yesterday, looks moist because I just used the ointment. We will visit the vet on Monday morning.

C92FB676-A333-478B-8931-A407CB029760.jpeg

Yes the white part is so thin and sometimes have tiny bleed when I clean by cotton and saline. I just don’t know why the regrowing is so slow and make me so nervous.

Chameleons are slow healers. IMHO it looks like there was some shed pulled off and it ripped off a layer of skin that shouldn't have come off.

Wounds on chameleons are slow to heal.
I'm not a vet...so I'm just giving you my opinion based on my own experience with chameleons and with that if others and whatbive read.

Back
Top Bottom