Chameleon Sight

there are several paper from matthias ott who did a analysis on the chameleons eye. he says that the focus-change "bandwith" is about 45 dioptre whereas humans can focus around 15. the focus-speed is 60dpt per second! humans can focus with 15dpt per second.

but there is more: we need two eyes for stereoscopic view. without that, its hard to tell the distance. chameleons can "tell" the ditance with only one eye. and this much more accurate than most of the other animals. they need that to know how far the tongue needs to be shot.

the view is like a tele, not like a zoom as far as i know. this means only a small part of the surrounding area can be seen at one time. but very detailled. since the eyes can be moved like "turrets" a zoom (change from tele to wide-angle )would not be nessecary.
but if there is a paper telling there is a zoom, i would really like to have it !!!

sorry for some confusing words, english is not my mothertongue

Last edited:
Also, a little interesting fact I'm sure most of you know, but I thought I'd put it down is that chameleons have a 'third eye' (not an actual eye :p) known as the parietal eye that is used to sense light and heat energy (it's located on the parietal crest). It's pretty rudimentary (so not as developed as the snakes equivalent) but is still there! :D

It's believed to mainly be used by young to find a source of light and heat when they hatch. Interesting fact for y'all!

The parietal eye has come up once or twice before in the forums. In the New Zealand tuatara (the last living sphenodont reptile; looks like a lizard but is not), the parietal eye is visible at the top of the head. Humans have an associated structure, the pineal gland which, while within the brain and thus buried in the skull, still has nascent photosensitive capabilities and is involved in regulating circadian (day-night) rhythms.

baby artemia, these funny living fishfood they sold as "seamonkeys" in the 80s, still have only one eye, the parietel eye. As they grow up the other 2 eyes appear, so they have 3 eyes, and adult artemia use these two eyes only.

It's in the book "Chameleons: Nature's Hidden Jewel's" by Petr Necas.
The stuff in the link you posted is also covered in the book. It's a fascinating book and definitely worth a read. Can you guys get it in America?

Yes! I recently bought this book off of Amazon.

my cham hasn't opened his eyes in about 5 days:( i make sure he is drinking but without his eyes he cant eat im very worried about him but cannot afford the 80 dollars just to bring him in the vet plus whatever is wrong with him. his colors are still nice and bright which hopefully means hes in no pain

my cham hasn't opened his eyes in about 5 days:( i make sure he is drinking but without his eyes he cant eat im very worried about him but cannot afford the 80 dollars just to bring him in the vet plus whatever is wrong with him. his colors are still nice and bright which hopefully means hes in no pain

That is a SERIOUSLY bad sign. Please take him to a vet ASAP! Fill out a form and put up some pics, but if its that bad, your cham will need vetinary attention immediately!

SliK JiM..."Sorry Kinyonga, just noticed you're in Canada but you should still be able to find it!"...I have the book...and I'm listed in the back of the book for a couple of articles I wrote. I was hoping for more information than that...but thanks anyhow.

More eye "stuff"...
http://www.springerlink.com/content/v78d4un3y01annxf/
http://www.springerlink.com/content/aqywgkwe1510yb44/
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1114661
http://www.springerlink.com/content/l16771426423j044/

A little off topic...
http://www.newscientist.com/article...-finetune-camouflage-to-predators-vision.html

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but chameleons have a type of third eye that's used to detect predators from above!

edit: yep it has LOL
The parietal eye has come up once or twice before in the forums. In the New Zealand tuatara (the last living sphenodont reptile; looks like a lizard but is not), the parietal eye is visible at the top of the head. Humans have an associated structure, the pineal gland which, while within the brain and thus buried in the skull, still has nascent photosensitive capabilities and is involved in regulating circadian (day-night) rhythms.

Sorry about that!

I'm listed in the back of the book for a couple of articles I wrote.

Wow. You're like a celeb then! :D Can I have your autograph? :cool:

Anyway, in seriousness they were some pretty good links! That last one was pretty amazing. I didn't think if a cham saw a predator it'd let it get that close! I thought they would have done the whole falling trick? Besides, wouldn't the boomslang be able to see the chams body heat? I imagine it could cool itself but surely not that much that the boomslang can't see it?

SliK JiM said..."Wow. You're like a celeb then! Can I have your autograph?...no celeb...no expert either...and my autograph wouldn't do anybody any good. :(

Back
Top Bottom