Chameleon sick for long time now. Need help

Hey guys! So I have a male panther chameleon who is a year old. He has been sick for like 3-4 weeks now. He has had 4 vet visits and the vets do not know what is wrong with him (he has seen 3 different vets, at 2 different locations). I have spent over $900 now on 0 answers and I just need help where I’m not spending $200+ per visit ?
He has been tested for parasites. Treated with 2 antibiotics (doxycycline and baytril) has now had 3 rehydration shots. He has had an X-ray, blood drawn for samples, liquid food since he hasn’t been eating and I’ve recently had to do more and water it down to help with his hydration since he isn’t drinking either. All of the test came back with no results and it’s so distracting at this point not knowing what to do.
He’s sleeping most of the day, barely moves around his cage. Shows no interest in food every single time I try to feed him. Does not try to drink from his dripper. He has good husbandry (will post all info in the comments). The only time I can get him somewhat active is when I bring him outside. At the moment he’s going outside as often as I can with work but I am currently building an outdoor enclosure so I can provide him with more natural sunlight. I am just at a loss tho. It has become extremely difficult even giving him his liquid food anymore because he’s tired of being poked in the face with a syringe but there’s nothing I can do since he’s not eating. He’s losing weight and it’s so hard to watch but I just cannot figure out my next move. And at the moment a vet isn’t an option due to finances. I’ve already blown my savings account on him.
I have this horrible feeling that he’s not going to live much longer but I am trying everything in my power to prevent that. He’s my first chameleon and I’ve had hiccups in the beginning just like everyone else but I have been fixing everything as soon as I learn them. He is my boy, my child honestly and it’s killing me watching him go through this. I just need any help that I can get.
Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 148
Please post a couple more photos of him so I can see him better.

What supplements are you using now?

Is he pooping?

Also can you fill this out as well with detail. What reason did they give for prescribing the (doxycycline and baytril)?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Panther 1 year and roughly around 3 months. He has been in my care for 5 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Prior to him getting sick, 1-2 times a week. since hes been sick, its been every day to every other day due to medications.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets as main diet. 5-7 crickets every other day, dusted with repti calcium without d3 every feeding and repashy lod twice a month. Horn worms as a treat and I tried to introduce dubia roaches since hes been sick and he ate a couple once but hasnt touched any food in some time, (liquid food has been filled in). The feeders are gutloaded with carrots, spinach, squash, and sweet potatoes.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Listed above.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He has a mister that goes off for 30 seconds every 4 hours, as well as a dripper that runs throughout the day. I used to see him drink, but he hasnt in a while. He also has a humidifier thats on during night time.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown with white stuff, He hasn't pooped in quite some time tho. He has been tested for parasites, it was negative.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. For the first month I had him, he was in an entirely wrong cage set up and when I found that out (through this website) I went out and bought a whole new set up. took me about 3 weeks to fully finish everything that I now currently have. The only change he has had since he's been sick is that I bought a new schefflera plant to replace the small ones I had, and I added a couple more vines.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 24' 24' 48' screen cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? T5 10.0 for 12 hours a day
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a Zilla temp and humidity reader. Basking is 95-90 cage temps top to bottom are roughly 85-70. Lowest night temp is 65.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Zilla reader. I have a humidifier that runs at night only. My humidity temps range between 50-60.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I currently have one schefflera plant that fills the whole cage well.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? His cage is in my room by the window on my dresser. the tops of his cage is almost the highest thing in the room except for my fan and tv.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Southern California.

My chameleon has been sick for far too long with nothing working from the vet visits. I do not currently have the money to take him back and do not want him to die on me while I wait to get more money.

Also can you fill this out as well with detail. What reason did they give for prescribing the (doxycycline and baytril)?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
They prescribed the medications because they said those two are used to treat common illnesses in chameleons, so incase he had anything that we currently weren't seeing, they wanted to try and treat it ahead of time. His symptoms in the beginning of him being sick (they have changed) seemed like it could be a respiratory infection but since then, we have ruled that out.

They prescribed the medications because they said those two are used to treat common illnesses in chameleons, so incase he had anything that we currently weren't seeing, they wanted to try and treat it ahead of time. His symptoms in the beginning of him being sick (they have changed) seemed like it could be a respiratory infection but since then, we have ruled that out.
ugg ok so treatment for the just in case he has it sort of thing.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Panther 1 year and roughly around 3 months. He has been in my care for 5 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Prior to him getting sick, 1-2 times a week. since hes been sick, its been every day to every other day due to medications.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets as main diet. 5-7 crickets every other day, dusted with repti calcium without d3 every feeding and repashy lod twice a month. Horn worms as a treat and I tried to introduce dubia roaches since hes been sick and he ate a couple once but hasnt touched any food in some time, (liquid food has been filled in). The feeders are gutloaded with carrots, spinach, squash, and sweet potatoes. Spinach binds calcium. This may have something to do with it. So that should not be used. I will post an image for gutload.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Listed above.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He has a mister that goes off for 30 seconds every 4 hours, as well as a dripper that runs throughout the day. I used to see him drink, but he hasnt in a while. He also has a humidifier thats on during night time.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Brown with white stuff, He hasn't pooped in quite some time tho. He has been tested for parasites, it was negative.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. For the first month I had him, he was in an entirely wrong cage set up and when I found that out (through this website) I went out and bought a whole new set up. took me about 3 weeks to fully finish everything that I now currently have. The only change he has had since he's been sick is that I bought a new schefflera plant to replace the small ones I had, and I added a couple more vines.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 24' 24' 48' screen cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? T5 10.0 for 12 hours a day What is the distance to basking from the T5? When was the bulb replaced.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a Zilla temp and humidity reader. Basking is 95-90 cage temps top to bottom are roughly 85-70. Lowest night temp is 65. 95 is too hot. Max should be 90 what type of bulb are you using for heat. I do not see light coming from the fixture which is why I am asking.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Zilla reader. I have a humidifier that runs at night only. My humidity temps range between 50-60.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I currently have one schefflera plant that fills the whole cage well.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? His cage is in my room by the window on my dresser. the tops of his cage is almost the highest thing in the room except for my fan and tv.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am located in Southern California.

My chameleon has been sick for far too long with nothing working from the vet visits. I do not currently have the money to take him back and do not want him to die on me while I wait to get more money.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Please post a couple more photos of him so I can see him better.

What supplements are you using now?

Is he pooping?
He hasn’t pooped his his las vet visit which was over a week ago. But he also hasn’t eaten solid food in longer then that.
Also, he has a couple marks by his mouth from the constant feeding of medicine and liquid food (we were as patient and careful as possibly and he just jerked a couple times on us recently and hurt himself a bit.) Which is why I need help. It’s becoming so difficult to feed him his liquid food

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 128
Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets as main diet. 5-7 crickets every other day, dusted with repti calcium without d3 every feeding and repashy lod twice a month. Horn worms as a treat and I tried to introduce dubia roaches since hes been sick and he ate a couple once but hasnt touched any food in some time, (liquid food has been filled in). The feeders are gutloaded with carrots, spinach, squash, and sweet potatoes. Spinach binds calcium. This may have something to do with it. So that should not be used. I will post an image for gutload.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? T5 10.0 for 12 hours a day What is the distance to basking from the T5? When was the bulb replaced.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a Zilla temp and humidity reader. Basking is 95-90 cage temps top to bottom are roughly 85-70. Lowest night temp is 65. 95 is too hot. Max should be 90 what type of bulb are you using for heat. I do not see light coming from the fixture which is why I am asking.

View attachment 271217
Spinach was only a recent add as I thought it was a part of leafy greens so I will discontinue that.
I don't understand what you mean by distance from T5 and basking.
I have a ceramic heating lamp thats 100w

Spinach was only a recent add as I thought it was a part of leafy greens so I will discontinue that.
I don't understand what you mean by distance from T5 and basking.
I have a ceramic heating lamp thats 100w
Ceramic heat bulbs can be bad for chams. I would change that out to a regular incandescent bulb. Not LED just a regular household bulb like 60 watts.

Distance so the fixture is on top.. From the inside how many inches from the fixture to the top basking branch?

Ceramic heat bulbs can be bad for chams. I would change that out to a regular incandescent bulb. Not LED just a regular household bulb like 60 watts.

Distance so the fixture is on top.. From the inside how many inches from the fixture to the top basking branch?
Tallest is 8 inches which is away from the bulb and right below the bulb (second tallest) is 10 inches away.

Tallest is 8 inches which is away from the bulb and right below the bulb (second tallest) is 10 inches away.
Ok so the UVI level at 8 inches is going to be high for a panther. You want a 12 inch drop from fixture to branch for that bulb. So you either need to raise the fixture or drop the branch but that may be too stressful for him. You could also go get a 5.0 bulb then optimal distance is 9 inches so at 8 inches your still in acceptable limits. Over exposure to higher UVI levels can impact them and harm them.

I had a T5 5.0 for about 2 months, but switched last week to the 10.0 because I was told I needed 10.0 in another thread I posted a bit back.
I can definitely raise the bulb up without issue.

I had a T5 5.0 for about 2 months, but switched last week to the 10.0 because I was told I needed 10.0 in another thread I posted a bit back.
I can definitely raise the bulb up without issue.
I run a 6% on mine and have a solarmeter to test my numbers. My basking branch is 9 inches and I pull just above a 3.0 at that level.
For a T5HO in a single fixture you only want a 5.0 or 6% bulb. I am sorry you were given the incorrect information for your set up. :(
With reptisun bulbs you want to replace them every 6-9 months.
This link explains it more. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

I run a 6% on mine and have a solarmeter to test my numbers. My basking branch is 9 inches and I pull just above a 3.0 at that level.
For a T5HO in a single fixture you only want a 5.0 or 6% bulb. I am sorry you were given the incorrect information for your set up. :(
With reptisun bulbs you want to replace them every 6-9 months.
This link explains it more. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/
Okay so I do need a 5.0 or 6%, I can get that today or tomorrow. And what is a solarmeter? Is it important to have one?

Okay so I do need a 5.0 or 6%, I can get that today or tomorrow. And what is a solarmeter? Is it important to have one?
It is a tool that measures the UVI output of the bulbs at different distances. They are about $225 for the solarmeter 6.5. Not really a have to as long as you make sure your fixture, bulb type, and distance all are correct.

As long as you make sure your distance is 8-9 inches and have the 5.0 or 6% bulb for your T5 then you are good. You just received incorrect info prior. I do know what I am talking about when it comes to UVB and making recommendations. :)

Back
Top Bottom