Chameleon Shower?

Leahryan

I keep hearing about this, but i don't know the benefits and how to do it. I was wondering if any one with experience could tell me how to go about this, and what the benefits are for the cham? Thanks a bunch:)

well if you have a mistking with a timer they normaly go up to it and clean their eyes and what not, they injoy it and sometimes will run because they dont want to be bothered. It also helps keep humidity up too and cooling the cage if it gets to hot.

well if you have a mistking with a timer they normaly go up to it and clean their eyes and what not, they injoy it and sometimes will run because they dont want to be bothered. It also helps keep humidity up too and cooling the cage if it gets to hot.

No I don't have a mist king, just a regular automated mister, that doesn't work as nice as a mist king, i had the image of bringing the cham into a steamy shower room to enjoy the the steam and mist that the shower produces, but not in the actual shower.

well idk about all that now, i just wouldnt do that might stress them out and have really bad effects if done for a long period of time.

I keep hearing about this, but i don't know the benefits and how to do it. I was wondering if any one with experience could tell me how to go about this, and what the benefits are for the cham? Thanks a bunch:)

You place your cham and his favorite plant into the shower.
Make sure the shower is warm but not super warm (remember the cham is as hot as his surroundings)
Then you direct the shower head towards the wall and let the droplets of water that bounce off hit the plant so that the shower head isnt just hitting the cham full on.

The benifits are:
1. when a cham is SUPER dehydrated its a good way to get them to drink and rehydrate them selves (it can take up to 30mins-1hr to get the cham to drink SOMETIMES)
2. Some chams get slightly impacted and dont poop for a couple days and the warm LONG shower/soak will help the chameleon go poo poo.
3. Some chams get s URI (repistory infacetion) and nice hot steamy showers help loosen the musucs in the lungs and help the cham to breath/expell some mucus.
4. CHAMS LOVE IT :D

You place your cham and his favorite plant into the shower.
Make sure the shower is warm but not super warm (remember the cham is as hot as his surroundings)
Then you direct the shower head towards the wall and let the droplets of water that bounce off hit the plant so that the shower head isnt just hitting the cham full on.

The benifits are:
1. when a cham is SUPER dehydrated its a good way to get them to drink and rehydrate them selves (it can take up to 30mins-1hr to get the cham to drink SOMETIMES)
2. Some chams get slightly impacted and dont poop for a couple days and the warm LONG shower/soak will help the chameleon go poo poo.
3. Some chams get s URI (repistory infacetion) and nice hot steamy showers help loosen the musucs in the lungs and help the cham to breath/expell some mucus.
4. CHAMS LOVE IT :D

Thanks, my little boy doesn't have any problems but im sure he will enjoy it .

Leahryan, reserve the showering method when you absolutely believe that the hydration benefit will outweigh the stress you will implement to the chameleon by putting him in a shower.

In other words, showering can be a very stressful event to your chameleon. So, if it ain't necessary, I wouldn't do it to him.

If it is just for extra hydration, I recommend feeding him silkworm or hornworms. Or as simple as prolonging the misting session.

Really its stressful?
Pedro likes it o-o

by like, do you mean they close their eyes and colored up? A stress coloration does not always mean that the chameleons turned dark and black.

Plus, the shower method is not something that I would do even occasionally.
It is a therapy to remedy a situation when normal misting and normal hydration method is not enough.

Imho, with a proper husbandry, shower method is not necessary.

For more info on showering and dehydration:
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-section-dehydration.html

Leahryan, reserve the showering method when you absolutely believe that the hydration benefit will outweigh the stress you will implement to the chameleon by putting him in a shower.

In other words, showering can be a very stressful event to your chameleon. So, if it ain't necessary, I wouldn't do it to him.

If it is just for extra hydration, I recommend feeding him silkworm or hornworms. Or as simple as prolonging the misting session.

Ok, good to know!! I was not sure if it was an enjoyable experience or just for health concerns, now i know! i appreciate your expert advice dodolah!

nope he just sit there eyes open he drinks a abit and chills.
He doesnt do anything that seems to be stressful like try to get out of the tub or run off his plant or flop around, like pepper did (i took her out ASAP)

Edit: but your right, whos to say he enjoys it my bad , but if he was ever exhibiting these behaviors I would take him out asap.

nope he just sit there eyes open he drinks a abit and chills.
He doesnt do anything that seems to be stressful like try to get out of the tub or run off his plant or flop around.

I would recommend not doing it unless it's necessary.
moving him in and out of his cage surely put some sort of stress on him.

Kay I wont any more :)
I dont do it often only when I deep clean his cage (once a month) I do and he never freaked out so, well yea.

Dodolah makes some really good points... I had always thought the shower environment was kind of a Loud intense place for a cham. Not to mention an INCREDIBLE waste of water, that we can't afford to be wasting.

That being said occasionally I do use My bath tub in caring for my chams... but not the showerhead. If excessive hydration is needed for any of my chams is and I don't feel comfortable about the amount of water I am going to be expelling over my drainage... I move the enitre cage... with cham in it and set it in my bath tub. I then take a Pressure Pump hand sprayer (Lovewes $6.99)... Get a good amount of pressure built up and set it on the edge of the bath tub... gently, and continuously spraying into the cage.
it will mist this way for about 5 mins then you have to come back and refil the bottle and repeat if needed.

Using this method the Chameleon gets to stay in the comfort of it's cage, No loud beating water from the shower, No bouncing water off the walls so that you are utilizing a tiny amount of mist for the cham, and wasting who knows how many gallons per minute of the rest of the water down the drain. Another thing to think about is what kind of soapy residues you are bouncing off your shower walls into your chams cage. The pump sprayer puts out the perfrect spray to mist a cage, and the showerhead puts out as much water in 30 secs as it takes the sprayer 5 mins to go through.

Just my thought on the topic...

~Joe

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Dodolah makes some really good points... I had always thought the shower environment was kind of a Loud intense place for a cham. Not to mention an INCREDIBLE waste of water, that we can't afford to be wasting.

That being said occasionally I do use My bath tub in caring for my chams... but not the showerhead. If excessive hydration is needed for any of my chams is and I don't feel comfortable about the amount of water I am going to be expelling over my drainage... I move the enitre cage... with cham in it and set it in my bath tub. I then take a Pressure Pump hand sprayer (Lovewes $6.99)... Get a good amount of pressure built up and set it on the edge of the bath tub... gently, and continuously spraying into the cage.
it will mist this way for about 5 mins then you have to come back and refil the bottle and repeat if needed.

Using this method the Chameleon gets to stay in the comfort of it's cage, No loud beating water from the shower, No bouncing water off the walls so that you are utilizing a tiny amount of mist for the cham, and wasting who knows how many gallons per minute of the rest of the water down the drain. Another thing to think about is what kind of soapy residues you are bouncing off your shower walls into your chams cage. The pump sprayer puts out the perfrect spray to mist a cage, and the showerhead puts out as much water in 30 secs as it takes the sprayer 5 mins to go through.

Just my thought on the topic...

~Joe

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Nice tips. Having a cage there might relaxed him a bit.
and Joe... where are my mulberry leaves?! LOL jk, dude :D:D:D:D:D

Thanks.... Yeah the whole process does not even require taking the cham out of the cage. It was awesome seeing you at the Show Frans... sorry to didn't get more time chat... we were pretty busy as you could see...

LOL... Sending PM...:eek:

Back
Top Bottom