Chameleon shed/not eating

LouieTiel32

My chameleon started to shed yesterday. He got the shed off his back, and is now shedding on his legs. He seems fine, he just seems a bit agitated today. He has been taking crickets from my tongs really well lately, and he goes after pretty much anything that looks like food to him. Tonight he didn’t seem to want dinner.
There could be a few reasons he might not want to eat though and maybe I’m just stressing for nothing, but yesterday I changed up his enclosure and added much more branches and leaves to climb on, so he has spent all day exploring, I also started to feed super worms as a treat. I used to give mealworms as a treat, but I switched to supers, today and he ate a few this morning. It’s now 8 PM, I’ve been trying to see if he’ll eat here and there since 6, but he’s only ate 2 out of the 8 crickets I offered. Could it be that he’s full from the super worms, or adjusting to the new decorations in the cage, or could shedding cause this??

He’s still pretty young, maybe 5 months old, so I feed him multiple live bugs twice a day. He normally loves crickets and will catch them and take them from my tongs. He doesn’t seem tired or anything, like I said he’s been exploring his whole enclosure today, but I put a cricket in the cage, and it ran around and he had no interest. It is somewhere in his cage now 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ve seen him drink water multiple times today, and all in all he seems healthy. It’s just him not eating dinner that is concerning me.

Do post pics but them not eating when shedding is very normal. I would do away with tong feeding though... This can be dangerous if they hit the tongs and you pull back when they pull them in you could permanently damage their tongue. Better to cup feed or get a feeder run.

D4DF7FE9-867C-4D05-A5D8-5541C259720F.jpeg
E6D42CC8-59D3-4836-9F1B-90644591B5AB.jpeg

The first picture is from today, the second is from a week ago. Today it seems like he’s done shedding. He ate breakfast this morning, I gave him a few extra bugs and he ate them all. Honestly it seems like he just was being picky because he was shedding 🤷‍♀️

I would advise you to get the fake plants out of his cage before he ingests one and ends up impacted. They should be replaced with well washed (both sides of the leaves) nontoxic plants.

I would advise you to get the fake plants out of his cage before he ingests one and ends up impacted. They should be replaced with well washed (both sides of the leaves) nontoxic plants.
I’m getting live plants in the summer. I’ve stated on other forms that I’ve gotten the safest silk plants that the channel Neptune the Chameleon recommended if that’s the route I have to go. They aren’t the plastic kind

I’m getting live plants in the summer. I’ve stated on other forms that I’ve gotten the safest silk plants that the channel Neptune the Chameleon recommended if that’s the route I have to go. They aren’t the plastic kind
There are no safe fake plants with Veileds.... They still will pull shreds off the ones you got this can still pose issues with impaction. Very expensive to get treated by a vet. You will want to make some other cage changes too. The rope should come out. They can get their nails caught in that and rip them out. And you need to adjust how close he can get to that UVB light. UVB should run across the middle of the cage. If you are running a T5HO with a 5.0 or 6% bulb you want a total distance of 8-9 inches from the screen where the fixture is to the branch below it to put the cham in the correct UVI level. Where he can get to are unsafe exposure levels.

Take a look at this build guide. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/

There are no safe fake plants with Veileds.... They still will pull shreds off the ones you got this can still pose issues with impaction. Very expensive to get treated by a vet. You will want to make some other cage changes too. The rope should come out. They can get their nails caught in that and rip them out. And you need to adjust how close he can get to that UVB light. UVB should run across the middle of the cage. If you are running a T5HO with a 5.0 or 6% bulb you want a total distance of 8-9 inches from the screen where the fixture is to the branch below it to put the cham in the correct UVI level. Where he can get to are unsafe exposure levels.

Take a look at this build guide. https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/
Okay

Back
Top Bottom