Chameleon seems lethargic?

zelphos

I just rescued this little guy on Christmas, he was so skinny you could feel his bones, someone brought him to a Christmas party and was passing him around like he was a toy so I offered money and they sold him to me. I've never owned a chameleon, matter of fact I've only owned a bearded dragon, I know I shouldnt had jumped into caring for something I knew nothing about but I figured I could give him a better home then what he had, so I come to you guys for some help.
He's in a 4 1/2 ft tall, by 2 1/2 ft wide/long enclosure that is screened that I built, he was in a tiny glass 20 gallon thing.
He is a year old I was told, and is a male (spurs on feet)
I have a reptisun 5.0 36 inch uvb going across the enclosure along with a 90 watt halogen bulb for heat because it is very cold in Ohio, all though I do keep my heat on 71 all the time so it doesnt get cold for the reptiles.
I have been feeding superworms to fatten him up, as I said he was VERY skinny, I'll attach a picture.
I havent got calcium powder yet, I'm going to try to do that today or tomorrow it's just it really broke me building an enclosure, along with a fixture, uvb, plants and buying quite a bit of worms. I do put a multivitamin in with the worms, i dust the food and even took quite a bit and mixed it around in the oats just to make sure they get some of it.
For water I put 3 ice cubes up top and let them drip down and have a vine where he can get right under where it drips, I have seen him go up there quite a bit and drink or let the water drip on him.
He is by a window, I put the blind up so he can look out, I'm not sure if I should do that or not? and I cover that side with a blanket at night so cold air doesnt go through his cage. I also mist his cage quite a bit a day, maybe 4 times? I have a habba mist I just got for $20 off of someone but it wont mist the water just runs out of it like out of a small coffee straw so I need to figure out how to fix it.
I don't handle him, he stays in his enclosure.
He seems very lethargic lately, he was fine last week, he was eating alot and climbing all over the place, now he will barely eat and he basks all day under the light. His poop seems normal I guess, its not runny its brown slimy turds basically and white urate comes out, a decent amount to it seems. He just doesnt explore anymore, and I cant get him to really eat, maybe two worms a day or one day he wont eat at all, before he was eating about 6 a day of the large superworms. He looks like he came from a rough place when I first got him so I'm not sure. Any tips would be great! I dont live by any vets, closest is 2 hours away :/ oh and I turn his lights on about 8:30-9:00 and when he goes down in his tree I turn the lights off which is around 8:00, he also has been sleeping upside down? Thanks for any help! Below are pics

ENCLOSURE
b3jsw1.jpg

VEILED CHAMELEON
ru8qhe.jpg

BEFORE WHEN HE CLIMBED AROUND IN HIS CAGE
2cn8f3k.jpg

WHEN I FIRST GOT HIM AND HE WAS SKINNY
1ghtlu.jpg

Hi there . Thank goodness you rescued him. His viv looks good. I don't know if you have used safe plants. He needs a variety of food, not just superworms. Do you have a thermometer to measure his basking temp? If its too cold he may not be able to digest his food. For supplements he will need plain calcium at every feed and calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivit twice a month. You are dusting his food with a vitamin daily. It could be too much. Over supplementing can cause problems just as under supplementing.:)

Hello, welcome to the forum :) He looks good, much better than when you got him. Chams often sleep upside down........as a guess I would say he likes the worms too much and is doing a typical 'hunger strike'. He will manage quite a while with no food so don't worry too much about that for now.
Here is a great basic caresheet for keeping Veileds - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

Here is link to great info. on alternative feeders which might get him eating again - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

And a link to gutload info. - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

Well respected commercial gutloads include Cricket Crack and Bug Burger. Fresh stuff often is for the best though.

Hello, well I got the supers to fatten him up because of how skinny he was, I figured crickets didnt have much meat so I got those just so he could gain some weight, his ribs stuck out and it seems like they just never fed him, I did get crickets but they always escaped the enclosure and were hopping all over the house :/ I got supers, meal worms and butterworms, he was loving the butterworms now he just looks at them. Thank you for all of those links! I did get calcium powder today for him, I'm getting as much as I can, he's an expensive little guy lol. The plants are safe I believe, I got plants that I read on here that we're safe for him. Thank you guys for the info :) I feel better that its a normal thing for them to go on a hunger strike, lowers some of the nerves, I didnt realize chams were so difficult lol, I hope he comes around soon :/

Lol exactly! I don't even have vitamins for myself, I've been eating dollar tv dinners since Christmas cause this little guy is costing me ton haha

The one of him sitting on the twisted vine I took today, under where it says veiled chameleon, also i noticed how he had black on the veil on his head, the bump, I'm not sure what it's called but if you look in the picture where he is skinny he had black on the edges, he doesnt have it anymore though but what do their colors mean? because when I was misting his cage he saw my cat and well I'll include a picture of what he looked like, I just dont understand what their colors mean either, I do make sure he cant see the cats during the day, I put a blanket covering the front part if I leave the house, otherwise when I'm home it isnt on. but here is a picture I took a week ago when he saw the cat
2pt7ziw.jpg

LOL I dont think so either, the cat was meowing at me cause he wanted fed and well, the chameleon got all big and bright haha, he thinks he's big stuff in his little paradise now, before he didnt hiss at me, now that hes in there he gets mad if I open his door to mist and put worms in his bowl lol

Back
Top Bottom