Chameleon Scratching extensively

What live plants are you using?
A ficus Benjamin, a jasmine, hibiscus, asparagus fern, pothos, i did have sweet alysium in small pots on the sides but have since removed them as they all died. And these red ones I have no idea what the name is. All of the above mentioned plants are on the bottom of the enclosures (except the sweet alysium)

Attachments

• 20201003_190956.jpg
    20201003_190956.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 64
A ficus Benjamin, a jasmine, hibiscus, asparagus fern, pothos, i did have sweet alysium in small pots on the sides but have since removed them as they all died. And these red ones I have no idea what the name is. All of the above mentioned plants are on the bottom of the enclosures (except the sweet alysium)
So I know that the sap from ficus can be an irritant. It can cause irritation and itching of the skin. Does he sleep or rub on this plant?

So I know that the sap from ficus can be an irritant. It can cause irritation and itching of the skin. Does he sleep or rub on this plant?
He dose climb on it daily but dosent sleep on it (my female dose sleep on it all the time and has no issues). What alternative tree should I replace it with? I like the ficus because its not to big and it fits perfectly in the enclosure, bit if I need to replace it I will immediately.
Just an FYI the scratching did continue through the day even after I cleaned and washed everything down!

He dose climb on it daily but dosent sleep on it (my female dose sleep on it all the time and has no issues). What alternative tree should I replace it with? I like the ficus because its not to big and it fits perfectly in the enclosure, bit if I need to replace it I will immediately.
From what I have heard some have issues with it and some do not. It may not be that at all. If you want to swap it out to see if this could be the cause an umbrella plant would be a good option.

From what I have heard some have issues with it and some do not. It may not be that at all. If you want to swap it out to see if this could be the cause an umbrella plant would be a good option.
Ok i will go get one and see if there is a difference, I cant have him squirming and running all over the enclosure they way he did today I felt so helpless as I know he was trying to tell me something....

Ok i will go get one and see if there is a difference, I cant have him squirming and running all over the enclosure they way he did today I felt so helpless as I know he was trying to tell me something....
lol I understand. The only time I have seen any of my boys actively scratch their feet is when they still have shed on the bottoms.

The only other thing I see is the rope your using... Typically this is more a risk for not drying out and getting nails caught. But have you looked at the bottoms of his feet to make sure they look normal and there are no sores?

lol I understand. The only time I have seen any of my boys actively scratch their feet is when they still have shed on the bottoms.

The only other thing I see is the rope your using... Typically this is more a risk for not drying out and getting nails caught. But have you looked at the bottoms of his feet to make sure they look normal and there are no sores?
Yes I had him out of the enclosure a few times today (he kept coming to me) while I was trying to clean the enclosure, he has all his nails and his feet look fine/normal. Like I mentioned earlier in this tread when I was holding him he started scratching and it was as if he was trying to sharpen his nails?! His foot wasn't touching his belly and it was barley scratching me. But when he was back in the enclosure he would push his body flat against the vines and he was litterly running all over the enclosure like he didn't know what to do with himself...

You said..."I've had mine for about 2 months now and he has shed 3 times in my care"...that seems like a lot of shedding to me. Anyone else?

What are you feeding the insects? Please be specific.

You said..."I've had mine for about 2 months now and he has shed 3 times in my care"...that seems like a lot of shedding to me. Anyone else?

What are you feeding the insects? Please be specific.
I feed him roughly 10 -15 crickets as his staple diet he dosent eat all of them there are a few left in his feeder for the next day and I have fed him 4 -5 black soldier flies as a treat every second day for roughly a month. I have since slowed down on the black soldier flies. Last week Thursday I introduced super worms and dubia roaches started by only giving him 1 superworm and 3 dubia roaches to see if he will take it. Yesterday I put 2 superworms in his feeder and I see there is still one in there. I have given him dubias before.
All his feeders are sprinkled with calcium without D3 Sunday to Friday last Saturday I gave him multivitamin powder and next Saturday ill give him calcium with D3

I feed him roughly 10 -15 crickets as his staple diet he dosent eat all of them there are a few left in his feeder for the next day and I have fed him 4 -5 black soldier flies as a treat every second day for roughly a month. I have since slowed down on the black soldier flies. Last week Thursday I introduced super worms and dubia roaches started by only giving him 1 superworm and 3 dubia roaches to see if he will take it. Yesterday I put 2 superworms in his feeder and I see there is still one in there. I have given him dubias before.
All his feeders are sprinkled with calcium without D3 Sunday to Friday last Saturday I gave him multivitamin powder and next Saturday ill give him calcium with D3
But what do you feed to the insects?

But what do you feed to the insects?
I give all the insects fresh carrots everyday.
I have also made a gut load using kale, carrots, oranges, apple and gelatine. I find the bigger crickets dont really eat this but the smaller crickets love it. I didnt give the crickets any of this gut load last week as I needed to defrost it and just didn't get round to it. But fresh carrots are a staple every day

How is your chameleon now? Scratching stopped?

BTW...I would feed the crickets more than just carrots...dandelions, kale, collards, endive, squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper and sweet potatoes are just a few more things I would use.

How is your chameleon now? Scratching stopped?

BTW...I would feed the crickets more than just carrots...dandelions, kale, collards, endive, squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper and sweet potatoes are just a few more things I would use.
Hi Kinyonga,
Hes still rubbing his back feet every now and them but not as much scratching or as aggressive as it was, I removed the ficus and replaced it with an umbrella tree, I also gave his enclosure a good cleaning with vinegar and hot water. I got the crickets some repashy bug burger and like a cricket mix from the petshop (see pic attached).

Attachments

• 20201129_201747.jpg
    20201129_201747.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 51
Hi Kinyonga,
Hes still rubbing his back feet every now and them but not as much scratching or as aggressive as it was, I removed the ficus and replaced it with an umbrella tree, I also gave his enclosure a good cleaning with vinegar and hot water. I got the crickets some repashy bug burger and like a cricket mix from the petshop (see pic attached).
Are you using it like that or are you mixing with water the way the repashy directions call for?

Back
Top Bottom