Chameleon Safari in South Florida?

Hi, everyone, I'm new to this site and this seemed like the best place to come for help as this thread was regarding south Florida. I live in South Florida on Marco Island ( Near Naples) and just today found a wild chameleon trying to cross the road on my way home from work. He/she was in a residential type neighborhood with no local habitat around and we have had a ton of bad weather and flooding recently from Tropical Storm Sally so maybe he was displaced or flooded down here, etc. Regardless I picked him up. My boys )2,5, & 6) of course are super excited as was I to find him in the wild, but I know they are not the best starter reptiles! I'm looking for someone local who is knowledgeable and can provide him a good home. Please let me know if you know anyone in the South Florida Area who y may be interested whom you could recommend!
IMG_20200914_164706.jpg

New to Florida, and in love with this species....it is on my bucket list to see one of the Chameleon species in the wild. Where exactly does one go to have any luck on an eve adventure?

These guys know where they are, Panthers and Veiled. I don't think they'll tell you, but the videos are truly amazing!

What do they do with all of the chameleons they find?

Most keep them to sell, or if you find them yourselves people introduce them to their breeding stock. I’ve seen some awesome males that I’d love to have in a breeding program

What do they do with all of the chameleons they find?
The herpers are (cover your ears if you're sensitive) supposed to be euthanizing them, since any non native exotics in Florida are considered invasive. Honestly though, what's the worry? That they'll eat all of our native bugs ?
The guys in the videos say they're going to rehome them, so I'm sure they'll be making a nice $$$ for them.
I saw some wild caught panthers in a store last week. They were something else!!

The herpers are (cover your ears if you're sensitive) supposed to be euthanizing them, since any non native exotics in Florida are considered invasive. Honestly though, what's the worry? That they'll eat all of our native bugs ?
The guys in the videos say they're going to rehome them, so I'm sure they'll be making a nice $$$ for them.
I saw some wild caught panthers in a store last week. They were something else!!

I would bet a good chunk of change that over 95% are sold and not actually euthanized

Most keep them to sell, or if you find them yourselves people introduce them to their breeding stock. I’ve seen some awesome males that I’d love to have in a breeding program
Hey Chase, Did you get a chance to read my post above? (Sorry it was kinda of a hijack to the thread, but still pertaining to South Florida) I caught a male here in Florida I am trying to find a home for.

Hey Chase, Did you get a chance to read my post above? (Sorry it was kinda of a hijack to the thread, but still pertaining to South Florida) I caught a male here in Florida I am trying to find a home for.

@CJN486 I think you may be better off starting your own thread, so that more people see your post.

Good luck finding that handsome fellow a home.

Back
Top Bottom