Chameleon right underneath the heating lamp.

Hi! So I'm making a enclosure and there are a few things that worry me. So I got my heating lamp 100W and the hood is pretty high the distance between the bulb and the screen top is around 10 cm. But I'm kinda scared that if my chameleon is climbing he will climb directly underneath it and burn himself because it will be around 50C° there. I know thats too much but if I buy one with a smaller wattage I might not be able to have the right temprature in the basking spot. There is also some kind of rule that the lamp needs to be 30 cm above basking spot? I also have a question for the branches. I'm using two large cork branches and I can't hang them ofcourse but if I let them lean against the side (I have a reptibreeze x large) would this be bad? Like could the sides rip or anything? I don't put all there weight on them but I was planning on attaching other branches to this two very large one creating a tree like effect. I was also planning on securing lighter smaller branches to the side. But like I mentioned I'm worried too much weight would be put ont the sides. Also I wanted to hang some fake plants I ofcourse wil use live ones as much as possible but is it a risk? Sorry for the long post its the first time I'm creating a whole new enclosure (I also had a glass one before) the one I'm using now was created by the shop owner himself so tips and warnings would be handy hahaha.

Hi! So I'm making a enclosure and there are a few things that worry me. So I got my heating lamp 100W and the hood is pretty high the distance between the bulb and the screen top is around 10 cm. But I'm kinda scared that if my chameleon is climbing he will climb directly underneath it and burn himself because it will be around 50C° there. I know thats too much but if I buy one with a smaller wattage I might not be able to have the right temprature in the basking spot. There is also some kind of rule that the lamp needs to be 30 cm above basking spot? I also have a question for the branches. I'm using two large cork branches and I can't hang them ofcourse but if I let them lean against the side (I have a reptibreeze x large) would this be bad? Like could the sides rip or anything? I don't put all there weight on them but I was planning on attaching other branches to this two very large one creating a tree like effect. I was also planning on securing lighter smaller branches to the side. But like I mentioned I'm worried too much weight would be put ont the sides. Also I wanted to hang some fake plants I ofcourse wil use live ones as much as possible but is it a risk? Sorry for the long post its the first time I'm creating a whole new enclosure (I also had a glass one before) the one I'm using now was created by the shop owner himself so tips and warnings would be handy hahaha.
All very good questions. So I think a smaller wattage basking bulb will help. Using a normal incandescent light bulb that way you can ensure it's not too hot anywhere in the enclosure. (You don't want any spots in your enclosure that are too hot)

For basking branch, there is no specific rule about how far away it needs to be. There is a rule with the uvb bulb and distance tho. I attached the form below.

For the branches, I would suggest using dragon ledges to help secure all your branches. They can be put in your enclosure and will hold everything up securely.

Attachments

• 74859686-15C0-43D3-A26D-9B6096C6B118.jpeg
    74859686-15C0-43D3-A26D-9B6096C6B118.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
For basking branch, there is no rule about how far away it needs to be.

I would politely disagree with this statement, a basking bulb can ABSOLUTELY be too close and cause thermal burns, you need to measure the temperature and adjust accordingly. Mine is raised slightly of my cage, an inch or 2 at most. I also have a dimmer so that takes alot of the leg work out. Get a weaker bulb, raise your fixture or get a dimmer those are your options

But I do agree with the dragon ledges, they help to secure live plants without damaging the mesh or you can get the plastic egg crate stuff like this

https://www.1800ceiling.com/product...zlrn68aMK3WIavgymfJzjOX0xbgKf4FxoCy84QAvD_BwE

All very good questions. So I think a smaller wattage basking bulb will help. Using a normal incandescent light bulb that way you can ensure it's not too hot anywhere in the enclosure. (You don't want any spots in your enclosure that are too hot)

For basking branch, there is no rule about how far away it needs to be. There is a rule with the uvb bulb and distance tho. I attached the form below.

For the branches, I would suggest using dragon ledges to help secure all your branches. They can be put in your enclosure and will hold everything up securely.
But what do you mean by normal incandescent lamp and do you have recommendations ? I'm now using a reptile brand I had difficulties finding one that wasn't a brand. It's daylight basking spot by exo terra 100w. I am gonna purchase an arcadia T5 pro 6% and place it diagonal on my enclosure. if i put the branches 15-20 cm away from the lamp would that be enough I assume on the chard the reddish colors means too much uvb? But I can put my basking branch a little higher, right? Because that one wouldnt be directly underneath the UVB radiation. Thanks for the help i appreciate it :)

I would politely disagree with this statement, a basking bulb can ABSOLUTELY be too close and cause thermal burns, you need to measure the temperature and adjust accordingly. Mine is raised slightly of my cage, an inch or 2 at most. I also have a dimmer so that takes alot of the leg work out.

But I do agree with the dragon ledges, they help to secure live plants without damaging the mesh or you can get the plastic egg crate stuff like this

https://www.1800ceiling.com/product...zlrn68aMK3WIavgymfJzjOX0xbgKf4FxoCy84QAvD_BwE
Thanks! I don't wanna give off the idea that it can't be too close, thanks for clarifying!

I apologize if my statement was confusing! Def don't want thermal burns.

Last edited:
But what do you mean by normal incandescent lamp and do you have recommendations ? I'm now using a reptile brand I had difficulties finding one that wasn't a brand. It's daylight basking spot by exo terra 100w. I am gonna purchase an arcadia T5 pro 6% and place it diagonal on my enclosure. if i put the branches 15-20 cm away from the lamp would that be enough I assume on the chard the reddish colors means too much uvb? But I can put my basking branch a little higher, right? Because that one wouldnt be directly underneath the UVB radiation. Thanks for the help i appreciate it :)
You really need to be taking the measurements with the correct tools [solar meter/ hydrometer/temperature gauge preferably ones with probes as they are more accurate]

Just a normal light bulb at home depot or lowes or wherever you can get an incandescent light bulb (Walmart or target). A lot of people use a 45w bulb. They aren't as hot as reptile branded basking bulbs.

It also depends on what type of cham you are getting. You will adjust accordingly to that. Make sure you have temp guages in your enclosure. I also use a temp gun to make sure everything is the correct temperature.

Last edited:
A solar meter is the preferred method to measure uvb in the enclosure as kamikaze cham has stated, however it is a bit pricey and many people wait on the solar meter. If you are not going to use a solar meter you want to make sure to make the distances from the sheet above I attached.

But def use everything else, and if you can afford the solar meter than I would def reccomend!

I would politely disagree with this statement, a basking bulb can ABSOLUTELY be too close and cause thermal burns, you need to measure the temperature and adjust accordingly. Mine is raised slightly of my cage, an inch or 2 at most. I also have a dimmer so that takes alot of the leg work out. Get a weaker bulb, raise your fixture or get a dimmer those are your options

Yes I agree. I had mine too close and it burned my veilds casque.

Yezh

Yeah so I was massuring it and we'll I let's just say I burned my thermometer 💀 I forgot to take it away I wanted to see how much it would be if my chameleon would sit on the screen right underneath it. So yeah it was 50C° way too hot! I actually have my Chameleon already he is 10 months but I don't like the enclosure the shopkeeper made me. And I have hydrometer and I had a thermometer it think about getting one of those thermo guns they aren't too expensive. I actually measure my uvb with a cart that wil give u a certain color when being radiated with uvb like light purple is 2-5 and dark is 5-10 or something. Idk how trustworthy it is but yeah. Maybe I should buy a new heat bulb tho with lower wattage. The only problem is i don't know if it will be warm enough then. Like I measured 30 cm between the bulb and the basking branch and it was only 27C° so yeah idk if a lower wattage will work :/

So those guns only measure the spot itself, you need something that reads ambient temp[which is the air] which is why I suggested a thermometer with the probes or even the govee digitals are known to be very reliable

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Temperature-Humidity-Notification-Monitor/dp/B07Y36FWTT

27C is obviously not enough[its right on top?] You need to play around till you find the right distance. The 100w should be fine

Most people are only using a 60-75watt regular incandescent bulb to get basking temps that are 80 degrees. You do not need hotter bulb or a focused heat bulb. I have a full 10 inch drop to basking. Branches are 8 inches below screen and the fixture is lifted 2 inches and I am using a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb. I have no issue getting the temp I need and even where the chams rises up they are not exposed to temps that can burn them. But this is based on MY set up in a hybrid enclosure.

And there is not a set basking distance for heat.... You have to base this off what your set up is.... Your looking at the correct temp with a wired temp gauge that has a probe hooked in below the heat fixture. Most people will lift them up off the screen as well. This makes the radius of heat below larger. Using an extremely high wattage like 100 watt or above is asking for thermal burns if your distance does not align with the bulb type used and the temp output needed at basking.

And the basking temperature needs to be measured with a digital thermometer with a probe to get accurate temps, with the probe placed where your cham’s casque/top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch (I went with he even though I don’t know your cham’s gender to make that easier to understand, so sorry if he is actually a she!). And while there’s no set distance for a basking bulb, there is a preferred minimum to be safe. That is that it should be a minimum of 7” away, but preferably 8-9” or more.

Most people are only using a 60-75watt regular incandescent bulb to get basking temps that are 80 degrees. You do not need hotter bulb or a focused heat bulb. I have a full 10 inch drop to basking. Branches are 8 inches below screen and the fixture is lifted 2 inches and I am using a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb. I have no issue getting the temp I need and even where the chams rises up they are not exposed to temps that can burn them. But this is based on MY set up in a hybrid enclosure.

And there is not a set basking distance for heat.... You have to base this off what your set up is.... Your looking at the correct temp with a wired temp gauge that has a probe hooked in below the heat fixture. Most people will lift them up off the screen as well. This makes the radius of heat below larger. Using an extremely high wattage like 100 watt or above is asking for thermal burns if your distance does not align with the bulb type used and the temp output needed at basking.
Thank you for the info! We'll u see I have a 80 watt in my glass terrarium right now and the basking spot is because of colder weather is sometimes only 28 C° which is kind of unsettling I use mercury vapor by reptech (not my idea that was the shopkeepers idea) so ofcourse my first thought is to go higher because of that. definitely because its in a glass terrarium and I'm going to screen one. But I'm going to take your advice and go lower and see if I can get the right temp.

Thank you for the info! We'll u see I have a 80 watt in my glass terrarium right now and the basking spot is because of colder weather is sometimes only 28 C° which is kind of unsettling I use mercury vapor by reptech (not my idea that was the shopkeepers idea) so ofcourse my first thought is to go higher because of that. definitely because its in a glass terrarium and I'm going to screen one. But I'm going to take your advice and go lower and see if I can get the right temp.
If your using a mercury vapor. You can not use this without a solarmeter 6.5 You are risking extreme over exposure using this on an enclosure. They are best used on a large free range.

I really hate these bulbs and that people recommend them for chams without telling them specifics. Due to their high output of UVI and heat trying to get the right UVI level while trying to get the correct heat level is almost impossible.

I would recommend not using this bulb at all and switch to a regular bulb for heat. Then get the correct UVB lighting which is a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb for it. Basking branch would then sit 8-9 inches down below the screen and the fixture sitting on top of the screen.

And the basking temperature needs to be measured with a digital thermometer with a probe to get accurate temps, with the probe placed where your cham’s casque/top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch (I went with he even though I don’t know your cham’s gender to make that easier to understand, so sorry if he is actually a she!). And while there’s no set distance for a basking bulb, there is a preferred minimum to be safe. That is that it should be a minimum of 7” away, but preferably 8-9” or more.
Well ur right it's a he hahah. So I need to place a probe but how do I do it? Like do I attach it to the side of the enclosure at the height of his back/casque ? Cause I was planning to put the heat lamp in the corner of my terrarium. So maybe that would work. Thanks for the info :)!

What age is your veiled (just saw he’s a male in your first post, sorry!)? 28*C is fine for an adult male’s basking temp. @Beman beat me to it for the mercury vapor bulb. You need to stop using it immediately and set up your Arcadia 6% T5 HO! Also, with veileds, fake plants aren’t good. They need live plants only as fake ones are an impaction risk. The live plants need to chameleon-safe and veiled-tested, too (along with all of them being properly cleaned before putting them in the cage and with rocks too big for him to eat covering the soil in the pots). If you’ve already bought the fake plants, you can hang them on the outside of his cage to add extra privacy!

Well ur right it's a he hahah. So I need to place a probe but how do I do it? Like do I attach it to the side of the enclosure at the height of his back/casque ? Cause I was planning to put the heat lamp in the corner of my terrarium. So maybe that would work. Thanks for the info :)!
You can just hang the probe at the correct height and secure it to something so it can‘t be pulled lower or higher, or you can do something completely different. Just do what works best for you to mount it securely in the correct spot!

Back
Top Bottom