"chameleon rescue"

caroline?

Avid Member
i really need to stop using the internet 😣
i always find things about sick chameleons and people who just don't treat them right,
i found this account on fb the other day and the photos are kinda alarming, i wish i could do 😔
they have 7 chameleons in the bathtub in this photo, they must be so stressed 😥
does this seem wrong to anyone else, it's supposed to be a chameleon rescue and they do this to their chameleons!

Attachments

• 978EBA4C-A704-4D92-8E05-61692A29BF3D.jpeg
    978EBA4C-A704-4D92-8E05-61692A29BF3D.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 107
That post is so sad..... It makes me angry that, that it is OKAY for people. Also, there is no enclosure and lightning!

Sorry for my vent.

Long story if you have the time, if not, don't read.

Different perspective here- I visited a chameleon rescue in about this time frame as in the pic. It was located not fare from Six Flags in CA.
1. I was expecting the worst conditions (expecting).
2. I was excited knowing I would get to see 20 plus chameleons in 1 place and different kinds.
3. The expectation and witnessing were opposites and TOTALLY changed my perspective on husbandry/maintenance (multiple daily cleanings).

The owners were very knowledgeable, compassionate, and knew their mission would be difficult and rewarding at the same time.
There were chameleons all over, more than I could have imagined. BUT! They were not firing up, fighting, or causing harm to one another. I was there for a few hours adopting my Male Veil and learning their story.

They had never purchased a chameleon they were all mailed, abandoned, or acquired from local pet shops that could not take care of them (I think they had been doing it for a few year, but don't truly remember).

The owners (forgetting their names) were made for the task and put 10's of thousands of their own $$$ into working with them. The $$$ was due to run out and the couple needed to start a non-profit dedicated to chameleon rehab and adoption programs (similar to humane society not sure if this ever happened). I remember HOC but does not look like the same people (could be me since it was a one time adventure).

The meds and care was phenomenal. The majority of the chameleons, did get along and were healthy (I would not have thought possible).

Each Chameleon had a name (after 5 names, I lost track) along with a sad stories or destination they were mailed from.

We read many sad stories here in the Forum due to misinformation, lack of knowledge or financial abilities.

There was a rescue bearded dragon on the floor that had his own doggy bed (yes weird). I did get to see a female Jackson walking near the bearded with no issues. Yes, every human had to always be watching where they were walking.

I witnessed, in the short time, the woman call out to an adult Panther to "stop" it did. She saw he was going to harass a female panther(if I didn't see it, I would not believe it). The Male I adopted "Achmed the dead tourist" ( Jeff Dunham thing) did not follow the house rules and had to go (expected) but the others did or were already adopted out. I witnessed a group of 4 adult male Panthers just hanging out (this environment could have been over load, medically induced or whatever, so little aggression was needed).

Long story but sometimes we read, learn, even teach how to do things, but there are people that are gifted, this rescue had 2 gifted people. I hope they are here and reach out or know how important they are and all recues.

The male I adopted lived another 4 year teaching elementary school classes about True Chameleons and not American Chameleons (anoles). They think all chameleons camouflage due to 1st and 2nd grade books teaching them that. I have never had a chameleon change colors do to the color of the plant they were on. I am limited to only a few species such as Jackson's, Veil, Fullborni, Dwarf, and a few others. None camouflaged to hide. They might hang out on the opposite side of a branch and watch me with one eye (very sneaky) but no color changing.

I am open if others have camouflage stories and a pic would be awesome only if the chameleons is placed in a plant that is not natural to their own colors. Example: No Jacksons in a green plant or a dwarf with brown leaves and brown vines. :cool:
Fact and many will know. If you have a Green anole and loose it in your house, wait until dark and search for a green lizard on a brown sofa or other color item. They are green when they sleep, no matter what. FACT!

Thanks for your time and experience and sharing with the world...

Best, from Sunny CA

Back
Top Bottom