Chameleon Rescue in Northeastern US

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I have built my “reptile room” which is a climate controlled room in my finished basement. So far I have one XL Reptibreeze enclosure with mature hanging pothos plants and plenty of natural birch branches. It has the Arcadia T5 UVB, plant light, heat lamp, outlet timers…the works. Now I’m looking for a cham to put in it and I’m slowing my roll a bit. I saw a sickly female veiled in Petco today…asleep on a branch with intermittent head bobs. I don’t believe buying her is saving her, it’s just sentencing more chams like her to death. And I considered whether the manager would just give her away to save her…probably not.

Is anyone aware of a cham that needs rehoming to a loving home?

Attachments

• 9155CEA9-7DCB-4E10-B3D2-FEF1A04A13B1.jpeg
    9155CEA9-7DCB-4E10-B3D2-FEF1A04A13B1.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 50
  • FFF90A3C-AA86-4E96-9B2C-3537437678EF.jpeg
    FFF90A3C-AA86-4E96-9B2C-3537437678EF.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 45
Ugh this breaks my heart.
There is no heat lamp in the enclosure. The temp was about 70 with two water dishes on the floor, poop on a fake moss vine, and piles of fake moss in dishes for no reason. Set up by a store employee who doesn’t know what to do.

Last edited:
Why post about her specifically if she is not an option you would consider saving?
I know this is a very controversial subject in the hobby but I hate seeing posts like this and it is why I avoid looking at the reptiles when I do have to go into big box stores.

I think if you are only looking to adopt within your area and not from a store than you could have done without posting about this poor female. I am not trying to pick on you. I just see so many sad threads in this forum that I do have the ability to try to help and it sucks to see one that I absolutely can not do anything for.

Hi everyone,

I have built my “reptile room” which is a climate controlled room in my finished basement. So far I have one XL Reptibreeze enclosure with mature hanging pothos plants and plenty of natural birch branches. It has the Arcadia T5 UVB, plant light, heat lamp, outlet timers…the works. Now I’m looking for a cham to put in it and I’m slowing my roll a bit. I saw a sickly female veiled in Petco today…asleep on a branch with intermittent head bobs. I don’t believe buying her is saving her, it’s just sentencing more chams like her to death. And I considered whether the manager would just give her away to save her…probably not.

Is anyone aware of a cham that needs rehoming to a loving home?
This is terrible!! Last week I took my dog there to get her nails done (the ladies in the back are actually great!) and now I always check their chameleon enclosure...... sure enough they had a TINY TINY female. IMO too young to be sold. I'm thinking 1.5-2 months old at best. But I feel if I say or do anything it won't change anything and just make things worse. IDK if there is any stopping what they're doing :(

Why post about her specifically if she is not an option you would consider saving?
I know this is a very controversial subject in the hobby but I hate seeing posts like this and it is why I avoid looking at the reptiles when I do have to go into big box stores.

I think if you are only looking to adopt within your area and not from a store than you could have done without posting about this poor female. I am not trying to pick on you. I just see so many sad threads in this forum that I do have the ability to try to help and it sucks to see one that I absolutely can not do anything for.
I’m sorry if this post made you feel sad but this was my experience today and I did make my point.

There are self proclaimed “lurkers” who haven’t joined the forums but visit daily, gathering tips and info from our discussions. This post was geared to those who don’t know any better. The treatment of animals at big box stores is terrible and people new to the hobby need to know why we patronize reputable stores and breeders. This poor girl will likely die alone in a small plastic box because she lacked proper husbandry. If you buy her, another chameleon will take her place and the cycle continues. Our purchases do have power. Support reputable breeders or rescue chameleons when possible. That’s all I wanted to say.

P.S. - I am looking for a local rescue opportunity.

I sat here stewing and thought… I can do better.

As an update…I called the store and spoke with the assistant store manager to tell them the chameleon is very sick. I asked if they would give her to me so I could take her to get checked by a vet. They put me on hold, I assume to see if the chameleon is really day sleeping/sick.

The assistant manager got back on the phone and said if an animal is sick they will take them to a vet. They wouldn’t give the animal to me. I asked to speak with the store manager directly. They got on the phone and assured me the animal would be taken to a vet promptly. Believe me, I’ll check up on them.

Just so you all know I didn’t just say awww so sad…and go about my day. If you see something, say something and press hard for accountability.

I really think in many of these situations, the people taking care of these animals have no experience with reptiles. They do what they can, with the tools they are given but aren’t trained to recognize issues like this. We walk into a store and get incensed over a chameleon sleeping during the day with no heat lamp. Everyone else just thinks awwww she looks so precious.

Go talk to the manager. My sons ex got one from petco for $15 as it had a sore on its face. Also try calling your local pound and ask about adopting a cham. They can refer you to a place in your area that does reptile rescues. If you buy, go to a reputable breeder. If its healthy and age appropriate, no younger than four months, shipping is not harmful.

Absolutely would but that’s a 4 hour drive each way, unless they can ship, which I would pay for
Ok! I’ll check into it over the weekend and send you a message if it’s a possibility 😊 I was possibly going to take him myself but with the temp sensitivity of Jackson’s I’m a bit too nervous lol.

Ok! I’ll check into it over the weekend and send you a message if it’s a possibility 😊 I was possibly going to take him myself but with the temp sensitivity of Jackson’s I’m a bit too nervous lol.
That’s why I think he would do great in my basement with a window AC unit. The utility sink is right there for cleaning and my cricket bin is already in that room. It was 72 yesterday and if I leave the window open these next two months it will get into the low 60’s at night.

This is terrible!! Last week I took my dog there to get her nails done (the ladies in the back are actually great!) and now I always check their chameleon enclosure...... sure enough they had a TINY TINY female. IMO too young to be sold. I'm thinking 1.5-2 months old at best. But I feel if I say or do anything it won't change anything and just make things worse. IDK if there is any stopping what they're doing :(
When i worked there we would regularly get hatchling chameleons with parasites. Im talking SMALL. I asked management, "why cant we just stop the shipments for receiving chameleons or atleast ask vendors to send them when they are older", I also asked "if the vendors arent responsible in sending healthy animals, why cant we switch vendors"", the management responded "not up to us, nothing we can do" :(

Makes me sad

When i worked there we would regularly get hatchling chameleons with parasites. Im talking SMALL. I asked management, "why cant we just stop the shipments for receiving chameleons or atleast ask vendors to send them when they are older", I also asked "if the vendors arent responsible in sending healthy animals, why cant we switch vendors"", the management responded "not up to us, nothing we can do" :(

Makes me sad
Yeah unfortunately, this is a big corporation issue and it wont ever get fixed until someone IN corporate is actually contacted, AND a plan is already presented that shows and proves it will make petsmart money. This will be hard as -proper- chameleon care, is expensive, and even the chameleons themselves, when bred properly, are expensive. So petsmart just sees "less sales".

I think this is a losing fight as long as people continue to fall for the cute chameleons on sale with a handy "it has everything you need!" death kit sitting right next to that cute chameleon. It really sucks. Now that we are discussing this it's on my mind again. When I get some free time, maybe this weekend, I am gonna see if there is a contact I can reach out to higher up about this and see if I can possibly make a little noise.

If not, maybe I'll use social media. Social media is quite....... powerful, when you want to see a business/popular person make "changes".

Go talk to the manager. My sons ex got one from petco for $15 as it had a sore on its face. Also try calling your local pound and ask about adopting a cham. They can refer you to a place in your area that does reptile rescues. If you buy, go to a reputable breeder. If its healthy and age appropriate, no younger than four months, shipping is not harmful.
I adopted my guy from a local animal shelter.

I called 3 local animal shelters and they said they have dogs, cats, and birds. I searched online and found a rescue in Modesto via Petfinder but they don’t ship. I also looked on Craigslist within a 2 hour radius but no dice. The search continues. If I can’t rescue one via adoption, I’ll just get one from a reputable breeder.

I called 3 local animal shelters and they said they have dogs, cats, and birds. I searched online and found a rescue in Modesto via Petfinder but they don’t ship. I also looked on Craigslist within a 2 hour radius but no dice. The search continues. If I can’t rescue one via adoption, I’ll just get one from a reputable breeder.
There are no rescues around me that take chameleons either. If I want to rescue I have to look at ksl or Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom