Chameleon possible head injury?

Hello. We have had our chameleon Charlie for about 2 years now. He has been perfect so far. Until today I noticed he was dark and moody and had this on his cask. Any ideas? I’m not necessarily looking for husbandry advice because we are going to be correcting how close he can get to the bulb bc we are concerned it may be a small burn. What do you think? And if it is an injury what can we do? Side note: the one of his full body was a recent pic from when he was happy unlike today.

Attachments

• 3B7F74EB-57C7-4568-B872-2BD39AA3F6F4.jpeg
    3B7F74EB-57C7-4568-B872-2BD39AA3F6F4.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 110
  • E7684C50-C1B4-46BC-BC14-BE2945BE9470.jpeg
    E7684C50-C1B4-46BC-BC14-BE2945BE9470.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 116
  • 4103F41D-B1B6-4DCF-80EB-A9CC0A232B6A.jpeg
    4103F41D-B1B6-4DCF-80EB-A9CC0A232B6A.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 114
Hi there. I think you answered your own question with fixing the issue on how close he can get to the bulb. If it is a burn there is cream you can put on it. Someone else here can recommend what that it. Anyway, nice looking Cham.

Hi there. I think you answered your own question with fixing the issue on how close he can get to the bulb. If it is a burn there is cream you can put on it. Someone else here can recommend what that it. Anyway, nice looking Cham.

Do you think he would act strange if he had an injury? Or would that possibly be a separate issue?

I would say separate issue. In the photos were he is dark it looks like his eyes might be sunken. Is that the case?

Yes. Like I said he usually looks like this up until a few days ago. He was uninterested in his food then today he looked dark with the sunken eyes. We’re working on getting a mister for his cage. Drip system has worked well so far so I’m not sure why it’s all the sudden not working for him

Attachments

• 1833C503-61DB-411D-9B29-66801290C6C4.jpeg
    1833C503-61DB-411D-9B29-66801290C6C4.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 93
His colors seem to be looking slightly better. Still sunken eyes which again, we’re working out a better system for his water consumption.

Attachments

• C32F94A1-B30A-4F95-A29B-DF04CCF6A6F5.jpeg
    C32F94A1-B30A-4F95-A29B-DF04CCF6A6F5.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 99
  • EE987475-C290-4929-8FBF-9986E2D4AAF7.jpeg
    EE987475-C290-4929-8FBF-9986E2D4AAF7.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 94
Looking at the before pic... Your boy is very thin. What concerns me about the after pics are his colors. He is turning black and his eyes are completely sunk in. We see this when they are close to death.

The pics you just posted while the color is better he looks like he is weak... Eyes very sunk in. Not good things.

The top of the casque looks to be a thermal burn but I do not think this is the main issue at all. Small thermal burns don't take down a healthy cham. Yes they cause damage and must be treated but you don't see what your boy is displaying.

I will not ask husbandry related questions since you said you don't want feedback but IMO something is very wrong with your boy besides the burn.

A Reptile Vet would be a good idea although may be hard to find one that is open.

I’m willing to talk any possible ways to get him into better health. We were going to try to change things around but I guess any advice would be welcome.
Ok well we would be happy to help. Can you take pics of the enclosure from the lights down so I can see what your working with now. Looks to be a different type of enclosure from the baby cage you had in the beginning of 2019. And if you can fill out this form for us with detail.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

@kinyonga what do you see hun? weight, Coloration, and eyes are concerning to me... Looks to be a small thermal burn but I have never seen a tiny thermal burn cause other issues like I am seeing.

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon. About 1 year and 10 months. We have had him for a year and 9 months. He was a baby when we got him and he’s a male.
  • Handling - we do not handle him ever unless we are cleaning his cage.
  • Feeding - We go between crickets and dubias. Gut loaded with spinach most often. We also use a calcium fortified gut loader for them. He eats about every other day.
  • Supplements - we use rep-cal calcium with vitamin d and also rep cal herptivite multivitamin
  • Watering - drip system we set up honestly occasionally but most often we mist once or twice a day and yes we see him drink. I make sure he drinks often.
  • Fecal Description - Not tested for parasites. Poops are solid not too dry not too moist. Urate white but occasionally has a yellowish tint
  • History - he’s from pet smart unfortunately and not a breeder. Not sure if that changes much but just some background info. He loves to climb and is often very active.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screen 48x24.
  • Lighting - lights are on from about 8am-8pm. Heat lamp is the zoo med 100w lamp. UVB is a strip one. I’m unsure of the brand that my fiancée buys.
  • Temperature - floor: 70 basking: 98 at night it stays around 70 because we keep our house at 70.
  • Humidity - We have not recently been measuring out humidity levels. For about a year we did and being in the room he was in it was always at a about 70% humidity. If I need to set it back up I will.
  • Plants - None
  • Placement - cage is in a low traffic room with no fans or vents. The top is about 4 feet high.
  • Location - Ohio

Attachments

• 054C3967-74A7-4C54-B81B-9EEAA88E189B.jpeg
    054C3967-74A7-4C54-B81B-9EEAA88E189B.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 89
  • F9F73DAC-C93C-4944-ADAC-7B5C61EC2E3E.jpeg
    F9F73DAC-C93C-4944-ADAC-7B5C61EC2E3E.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 83
You said..."Gut loaded with spinach most often"... Spinach binds calcium and should not be used verynoften I'd at all. Dandelion greens, kale, collards, squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper, sweet potato are better choices.

Younsaid..."We also use a calcium fortified gut loader for them. He eats about every other day"...what specific gutloaded do you use?

Younsaid..." we use rep-cal calcium with vitamin d and also rep cal herptivite multivitamin"...how often for each? No phos free calcium powder at all?

I don't like the shape of the belly...it looks bloated but somewhat flattened on the bottom. Does he hold his belly up,off the branches at all or mostly rest on them?

Any possibility he's been eating fake plant leaves? Is he still pooping?
I would get rid of the fake plants and use real non toxic ones well washed both sides of the leaves.

Does he have trouble holding on to the wood pieces in the cage...they're at a steep angle and maybe slippery. couldmhe have fallen?

I really think you need to get him to a very good chameleon vet ASAP.

Ok I am going to go through your form... Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon. About 1 year and 10 months. We have had him for a year and 9 months. He was a baby when we got him and he’s a male.
  • Handling - we do not handle him ever unless we are cleaning his cage.
  • Feeding - We go between crickets and dubias. Gut loaded with spinach most often. We also use a calcium fortified gut loader for them. He eats about every other day. Spinach is calcium binding. So essentially any calcium supplementation you give can get absorbed by the spinach that your feeding your feeders. Stop using this and buy repashy bug burger for your gutload. How much is he eating every other day?
  • Supplements - we use rep-cal calcium with vitamin d and also rep cal herptivite multivitamin What is your schedule? are you using calcium without D3?
  • Watering - drip system we set up honestly occasionally but most often we mist once or twice a day and yes we see him drink. I make sure he drinks often. How long are you misting the fake plants for each time?
  • Fecal Description - Not tested for parasites. Poops are solid not too dry not too moist. Urate white but occasionally has a yellowish tint
  • History - he’s from pet smart unfortunately and not a breeder. Not sure if that changes much but just some background info. He loves to climb and is often very active.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screen 48x24. Cage size is great but there are no real ways for him to climb or move around. He does not have the ability to get under the UVB at the correct distance or the heat lamp at the correct distance. He needs branches and he needs ones that he can properly grip horizontally through out the enclosure. Like when you had his baby cage with the live plants.
  • Lighting - lights are on from about 8am-8pm. Heat lamp is the zoo med 100w lamp. UVB is a strip one. I’m unsure of the brand that my fiancée buys. the UVB looks to be the T8 fixture because it has a blue hue rather then the white hue a T5 fixture and bulb give off.... Which can work if it is using a 10.0 bulb and the distance to basking is correct however yours is not. He literally has no way to get to the UVB. WIth a T8 fixture and the 10.0 bulb you have to have the basking branch down about 7 inches. his back should hit 5 inches below the fixture for the correct uvb level.
  • Temperature - floor: 70 basking: 98 at night it stays around 70 because we keep our house at 70. Basking is way too hot... Should be max 80-82. Night should be colder but that requires dropping the room temp.
  • Humidity - We have not recently been measuring out humidity levels. For about a year we did and being in the room he was in it was always at a about 70% humidity. If I need to set it back up I will.
  • Plants - None You really need live plants. The fake plants are dangerous and are an impaction risk. Live plants balance humidity, give them natural soft places to drink from, areas to hide. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
  • Placement - cage is in a low traffic room with no fans or vents. The top is about 4 feet high. cage should be on a table to get him higher. This provides the feeling of safety for them because they are an arboreal reptile.
  • Location - Ohio

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

Back
Top Bottom