Chameleon poop

jack_wardayyyy

Established Member
Hi!

The past few days I’ve noticed when I’ve come home my chameleon has pooped a couple of times in smaller amounts rather than just one like normal.

Today was my first day at home this week and his feces has come out like this it looks rather dry and hard I’m lightly worried what could be causing this?

I currently moved around his viv and removed the soil as I wasn’t using bioactive. His plants are fake at the time as I am currently saving for a bioactive enclosure which he will get very shortly but now I’m worried he isn’t drinking properly.

The past two days I have caught him trying to drink from his dripper tube and I haven’t seen him drink since I first got him.

Anyone had any similar experiences or have any advice?

In terms of diet he’s on 3/4 feeders a day at roughly just short of a year old. 6 days a week they’re coated in Earth pro A and the 1 day they have nutrobal

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 55
It also looked like he was really struggle to get it out and in the end it was barely anything and it took him a little while

The enclosure looks beautiful but way too many artificial vines and plants so lots of opportunities for swallowing something indigestible. Also, I wouldn’t use the fake leaf dripper. If you ask me it’s a breeding ground for bacteria, especially now since there’s a poop on it.

My advice is to ditch the artificial plants and get some pothos plants to start and maybe a money tree. Here is the list of recommended chameleon-safe plants. Go find some woods and get some good branches. I find birch works great. If you’re misting regularly and have a dripper going on some live (and safe) plant leaves, your cham will know what do to and if by chance he or she eats a bit of a leaf, it’s not as dangerous as eating plastic.

Attachments

• 64178C4B-2639-4160-A62B-CE69E85374F6.png
    64178C4B-2639-4160-A62B-CE69E85374F6.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 52
Thank you so much for your reply Andrew I really appreciate it!

I have been cleaning the dripper daily to prevent build up but as you can image it’s not practical; I have just bought 3 potted plants for his enclosure to go at the bottom and one is a hosta as they’re great for holding water.

He is a panther so hopefully shouldn’t be eating the leaves however I know early doors to having him he did eat one presumably because he was hungry so I upped his feeding count a little and I haven’t seen him chew them since. I will keep an eye out for this and now with the real plants I think I will spread the wall plants o it more and put some on the doors :)

Any other advise is greatly appreciated

My advice is to ditch the artificial plants and get some pothos plants to start and maybe a money tree. Here is the list of recommended chameleon-safe plants. Go find some woods and get some good branches. I find birch works great. If you’re misting regularly and have a dripper going on some live (and safe) plant leaves, your cham will know what do to and if by chance he or she eats a bit of a leaf, it’s not as dangerous as eating plastic.
This has just loaded up after my last reply!

I tried to get a money tree but the garden centre had none but the money tree is my planned centre piece for his new viv next month :)

I managed to get a hosta, zeezee and a nandina :) I’m very excited to make the change to real plants

I spent $30.00 on two pothos plants from Home Depot and got a half-dead aglaonema from a nursery for free. All 3 plants have taken off. The branches came from a local forest for free. These enclosures do not need to cost a ton of money. If you get thrifty and creative within the parameters of good husbandry.

Attachments

• 5B7F1B9C-CB8B-47AC-822E-FDDAF0CB902F.jpeg
    5B7F1B9C-CB8B-47AC-822E-FDDAF0CB902F.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 44
Pothos takes everything over so you’ll be cutting it back fairly regularly once it takes off. I can’t even see his branches anymore so it’s clipping time.

I spent $30.00 on two pothos plants from Home Depot and got a half-dead aglaonema from a nursery for free. All 3 plants have taken off. The branches came from a local forest for free. These enclosures do not need to cost a ton of money. If you get thrifty and creative within the parameters of good husbandry.
Pothos takes everything over so you’ll be cutting it back fairly regularly once it takes off. I can’t even see his branches anymore so it’s clipping time.
Yours looks awesome Andrew and I appreciate the photo and advice I’ve taken a hand full of his thinks out and moved it all around a bit.

What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 42
Back